WinExpose` Is Out And I'm Mad!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    And yet Microsoft was basically smacked down in the US. You win some, you lose some.

The law is pretty clear. You can trademark "Windows 95", but you can't trademark "Windows".

Barto
  • Reply 22 of 52
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

sigh... you can trademark words to be attached to specific products and protect them as your intellectual property (example: no one can come out with a presentation application called "keynote" without apple's permission).

if apple didn't trademark the name, then they'll just have to grin and bear it. and "user interface" has proven next to impossible to protect as intellectual property in a court of law in the past.

If you are referring to the Apple v MS case, then you're off the mark. In that case Apple lost because the contract that they signed with MS allowed MS to use Apple's GUI. That was the reason Apple lost.

On topic, Apple isn't going to do anything about this unless MS puts it into the OS. There have been apps on Windows that have tried to replicated the Mac experience. I used one called Mac Bar or something that would add a global tool bar to the top of the menu. Not the first time this has happened, not the last time this is going to happen. Hell even Steve said, "It feels good to have Microsoft copying us again."
  • Reply 23 of 52
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

Well i sent 2 e-mails to apple one via there mac os x feedback page and the other on there pr page....

If you really want to get somewhere you might be better served sending an email to one of Apple's legal contacts.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    expose was just eye candy anyway, I like 10.3 for the myriad of other things windows users don't even think exist. Like iTunes... err wait.. they got that too.. hehe. Dude get over it, its the story of Apples existence. It was bound to happen sooner or later, the most we can hope for is that when they install it they get spywire and popups! popups to the evil-doers!
  • Reply 25 of 52
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I did not tried WinExpose but i am ready to bet that he will be much slower than Expose from mac OS X. Why ?

Simply because Expose in based upon a deep layer of mac os X and use the Quartz extreme optimisation.

Win expose is based upon high layer of windows and do not benefit of a quartz like optimisation.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    tchwojkotchwojko Posts: 139member
    WinExpose will be faster if it is not really a live representation of the windows. Easy to do, take a bitmap of the window, shrink it.

Apple, using the better underpinnings of Quartz, made something significantly more than "eye-candy."
  • Reply 27 of 52
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

expose was just eye candy anyway, I like 10.3 for the myriad of other things windows users don't even think exist.

If you have a lot of windows open it'll also serve as helpful and personal enjoyment
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Imitation is the strongest sign of flattery... Apple leads, others follow. Again.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    I bet you can't drag-n-drop with it like you can with the real deal.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    probably doesn't support the Blob, either
  • Reply 31 of 52
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    what the heck is blob?
  • Reply 32 of 52
  • Reply 33 of 52
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Object Dock

Personally, I think it rocks! You all should be glad that Apple had an idea so good that everyone wants to copy it. Apple can't really own the word Expose, so I'm not sure on how the legal issue is....who knows? Maybe they contaced Apple, asked them about adding WIN in front of it, and they OK'ed it? Possible? (Like I said, they should be happy!)

Thanks for the Object Dock link

Mac:

http://homepage.mac.com/fellowship/....B3425411D8.jpg

And PC:

http://homepage.mac.com/fellowship/....B0425411D8.jpg

Crazy!

Fellowship
  • Reply 34 of 52
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    dont sue hit them where it hurks crack and distribute
  • Reply 35 of 52
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I checked out uspto.gov and Apple was indeed granted a trademark for Expose on 12/22/03.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    That doesn't mean shit. Anyone can be granted a copyright, trademark or patent. That's meaningless.

It's up to the courts to decide if it is valid or not.

Barto
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

That doesn't mean shit. Anyone can be granted a copyright, trademark or patent. That's meaningless.

It's up to the courts to decide if it is valid or not.

Barto

That's not entirely correct. The trademark office won't issue it if it is obviously generic or inappropriate. You'd never get a trademark for the name "Paper" if you're actually selling paper.

What makes "Paper" unique is if it distinguishes a product in a unique way that has meaning in the marketplace. "Paper" might well be a valid trademark if applied to a software program, for example. And different companies can have different trademarks on very common words if the goods are being sold in different markets. Microsoft, I'm sure, has a trademark on "Excel" for software, and likewise Hyundai has a trademark for "Excel" for automobiles.

Also, registration of a trademark is generally necessary to enforce that trademark legally.

Apple, IMHO, has a very valid trademark in "Exposé" and ought to be able to clean the clock, legally speaking, of the WinExposé folks. Exposé, as applied to a GUI element/window manager, is unique enough IN THE SPECIFIC MARKET to support a valid claim.

And, yes, I'm a lawyer and I've handled some trademark litigation.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mpls244

That's not entirely correct. The trademark office won't issue it if it is obviously generic or inappropriate. You'd never get a trademark for the name "Paper" if you're actually selling paper.

What makes "Paper" unique is if it distinguishes a product in a unique way that has meaning in the marketplace. "Paper" might well be a valid trademark if applied to a software program, for example. And different companies can have different trademarks on very common words if the goods are being sold in different markets. Microsoft, I'm sure, has a trademark on "Excel" for software, and likewise Hyundai has a trademark for "Excel" for automobiles.

Also, registration of a trademark is generally necessary to enforce that trademark legally.

Apple, IMHO, has a very valid trademark in "Exposé" and ought to be able to clean the clock, legally speaking, of the WinExposé folks. Exposé, as applied to a GUI element/window manager, is unique enough IN THE SPECIFIC MARKET to support a valid claim.

And, yes, I'm a lawyer and I've handled some trademark litigation.

Thank you lawyer

Frank_t
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Thanks for the Object Dock link

Mac:

http://homepage.mac.com/fellowship/....B3425411D8.jpg

Crazy!

Fellowship

how did you get rid of the transparent box in the dock? thats awesome. as for the whole winexpose thing, i think apple got enough public exposure about expose that people will realize the copy. also, there's no way winexpose will be faster or better.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

how did you get rid of the transparent box in the dock? thats awesome. as for the whole winexpose thing, i think apple got enough public exposure about expose that people will realize the copy. also, there's no way winexpose will be faster or better.

Unsanity ClearDock:

http://unsanity.com/haxies/cleardock/