Local Treats?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    We don't have all that much. I suppose the best resturant around is a small sushi place on our Main Street. They're pretty good. Other than that, its all chains.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Hey!

Waffle House hash browns scattered & smothered

Smothered with what????
  • Reply 23 of 45
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

I LOVED Alaskan Gold beer, that I drank in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. Do they send it to the lower 48 at all?

(Of course, the Europeans would think it was pond water, like all American beer. )

Don't know. I live in South Central Alaska (Kenai Peninsula)--BIG state.

But if we get on beer, my favorite comes from the Homer Brewery, which does NOT ship Outside (ie, the lower 48 ). And ain't no one gonna call it water.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    If I still lived in Chicago I could say Chicago Style Dogs and Deep Dish Pizza.

Now that I'm in Michigan I'll say some good local brews.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Daver

Are there any delicacies or "just plain tasty" foods peculiar to the place you live?

Take poutine, the (debatably) Québecois artery-clogger of French fries smothered in gravy and cheese curds. Delicious and disgusting all at once.

Beaver tails are great, too... sweet, crispy, paddle-shaped slabs of fried batter that make a great outdoor snack.

We have Indian Fry Bread.....so delicious. It's NOT bread. It's a puffy, flat, round of flour, that when fried does not become crisp, but has a somewhat bread-like, chewy texture.

You can put frijoles (refried beans) and stuff on it, and eat it as a meal.

Or you can put powdered sugar or honey on it, and eat it as a dessert.

I give the recipe to my students and they can make fry bread at home for bonus points. They have the best time cooking this with their friends. Often, their entire family gets addicted to home-made Indian Fry Bread. I get lots of cool notes from parents about how much they all enjoyed this extra-credit assignment.

We have chicken marinated in citrus juices (mostly orange, I think), then flame-grilled. Extremely yummy, and healthful (unlike the fry bread, which I'm afraid might be cooked (on the reservations) in - eek! - lard )

Then we have a crispy thing called a 'bunuelo' - a round of flour dough rolled thin, fried golden and crispy, sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar. Very sinful. I loved these when I was a kid. Yummmmmm!
  • Reply 26 of 45
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

If I still lived in Chicago I could say Chicago Style Dogs and Deep Dish Pizza.

And what do they cook in Mt. Carmel..?
  • Reply 27 of 45
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

Maultaschen (Swabian Pockets)

My mother was born in Tübingen and grew up in Stuttgart. I lived there for a couple of years when I was a baby, but I no longer speak a lot of German and I don't write it at all. I did grow up with my mothers Schwabische cooking though. Yum!

As for treats during my visits in Stuttgart, I believe that the large warm pretzels that they sell from on-street vendors downtown are the best. I know that these are not purely local - some other cities sell such pretzels (New York, e.g.), but they are just not the same as the ones in Stuttgart.

I just poured myself a beer into my 'Plochinger Waldhornbräu' mug (smuggled out from a tent in the Bad Cannstatt Folksfest - sorry) and am remembering....
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

My mother was born in Tübingen and grew up in Stuttgart. I lived there for a couple of years when I was a baby, but I no longer speak a lot of German and I don't write it at all. I did grow up with my mothers Schwabische cooking though. Yum!

As for treats during my visits in Stuttgart, I believe that the large warm pretzels that they sell from on-street vendors downtown are the best. I know that these are not purely local - some other cities sell such pretzels (New York, e.g.), but they are just not the same as the ones in Stuttgart.

I just poured myself a beer into my 'Plochinger Waldhornbräu' mug (smuggled out from a tent in the Bad Cannstatt Folksfest - sorry) and am remembering....

WHAT are you remembering? The pretzels?
  • Reply 29 of 45
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

And what do they cook in Mt. Carmel..?

I don't know I've never been there.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    New England AND Manhattan clam chowder!
  • Reply 31 of 45
    this isnt necessarily local specific, but there is this BBQ place where I was born that has what are best described as onion rings in a doughnut. So delicious.

In philly there is the cheese steak, which isnt really a treat.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:

Yes, but a lot more too. My grandmother. My grandfather. (Both now dead - God rest them.) An October walk through the vineyards that reach up the hills around Stuttgart. Being a little boy living in Canada and in the U.S. who wore lederhosen and whose mother served food that none of the other kids ate.... Attending the Bad Canstatt Folksfest just a few days after my Grandmother died because my Uncle said that was her favourite thing: he pointed to women dancing on the tables - I am not talking nude table dancing here, just drunken, high-kicking, arm in arm dancing with friends - and him saying "That was your Grandmother when she was young...."

And much more besides.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Hugs Chinney!

I love your story

Fellows
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Hugs Chinney!

I love your story

Fellows

• Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:

Yes, but a lot more too. My grandmother. My grandfather. (Both now dead - God rest them.) An October walk through the vineyards that reach up the hills around Stuttgart. Being a little boy living in Canada and in the U.S. who wore lederhosen and whose mother served food that none of the other kids ate.... Attending the Bad Canstatt Folksfest just a few days after my Grandmother died because my Uncle said that was her favourite thing: he pointed to women dancing on the tables - I am not talking nude table dancing here, just drunken, high-kicking, arm in arm dancing with friends - and him saying "That was your Grandmother when she was young...."

And much more besides.

Your story is very touching, Chinney.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Well, I guess shoo-fly pies are an amish thing.

Whoopie pies are probably the best thing that people from not around here seem to like a lot.

Good's chips are also a favorite around here, which I don't think you can get other places unless you order them. Everyone seems to love http://www.goodschips.com/ so maybe you will.

Last, I know it isn't a local thing really but wilbur chocolate and Hershey chocolate foods or whatever their businessy name are within an hour of here, so it's never hard to get free chocolate just go on the hershey tour a couple of times and get free chocolate bar at the end of each.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    When i visit Guadalajara i gourge myself at a place called "Lonches del Gema". Its this simple sub sandwhich with bacon, tomato, and a thick slab of cheese. That itself is easy to duplicate. BUT. It comes with this rich tomato sauce, and i swear i would kill for the recipe to that sauce.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

It's Its!

Double thumbs up for my adopted home's ice cream treat!

For where I grew up, Alabama pork barbeque, slow cooked and served with a vinegar based sauce, white hamburger buns, vinegary cole slaw, and hush puppies... mmmmmmmmmm....wash it down with a co'cola, ya'll!
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:

They are another local treat. In Germany Pretzels are called Brezel. A good swabian Laugenbrezel looks like this:

A friend who moved recently to northern germany already mentioned that he misses the Laugenbrezeln.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:

I did grow up with my mothers Schwabische cooking though. Yum!

You mean things like Zwiebelrostbraten, Spätzle, Bubenspitzle (Schupfnudeln) etc. ?