WinExpose` Is Out And I'm Mad!

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    www.freerangemac.com

is better... you dont have to install unsanity's APE...
  • Reply 42 of 52
    I didn't buy Panther for silly Expose. Sure it is good and adds to usability, but Windows has been aping Apple since 1984, it is nothing new and had to be expected. Panther is a mixture of beauty and the beast. Aqua on top of Unix. WinExpose is not going to make Windows compete with Mac.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    666666 Posts: 134member
    who cares, it'll work better on mac's than any windows based system could ever muster, so whatever!!!
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Macs Only just noticed about this program for windows. Thay have changed the name to winPLOSION. I tried winexpose.com and it forwards to winplosion.com Same thing though.

http://www.macsonly.com/index.html#1272
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

Thanks for the Object Dock link

Mac:

http://homepage.mac.com/fellowship/....B3425411D8.jpg

And PC:

http://homepage.mac.com/fellowship/....B0425411D8.jpg

Crazy!

Fellowship

That's just a really ugly dock. Y'z dock is really great! I love it!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/tjdumple/windock.gif

(Different order, same idea)

(Now that I look at it, gif doesn't go it justice. In real life, it's perfectly seamless)
  • Reply 46 of 52
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Impuslive after a late-night encounter with distressingly high doses of chocolate (I did not inhale), I purchased it.

Guys, you have nothing to worry about. The implementation is rather so-so, and I want my money back. Point being, if they are already ripping off Exposé, they might as well do it correctly, which they did not.

First of all, once you enter the various modes (all windows or app windows), you can not restore them to their normal sizes unless you select a window or hit Escape. In other words, they do not scale back to their previous sizes upon activating the modifier key or corner a second time.

Also, this is useless on Windows, precisely because Windows is so very MDI-oriented. Remember the awesome demo on Panther Jobs did using the many Photoshop windows? Well, Photoshop on Windows is ? holy cow, batman! ? MDI. Meaning that when it comes to the big apps, this tool is useless.

Also useless for browsers, since most sensible and civilized users tab their way through the Net instead of having ten gazillion seperate windows open.

Oh, and it's also littered with display anomalies. Console windows have weird artifcats or "imprints" from other windows, and any non-standard window that is ever remotely transparent by tying into Windows 2000/XP's GDI+ libraries shows up as a white rectangle. Fun!

(Apropos, as a side note: Windows's display libaries are indeed buggy. Let me amend that: they outright suck. Having developed (well, more like hacked, really, cause that's the way you do it in Windows) some .NET apps that take advantage of the GDI+ graphic routines, I can tell you that what Microsoft has now is laughable compared to Quartz. Heck, Microsoft's graphic implementation is not only a toy, it's one of those toys that need to be recalled because they present a chocking hazard to ages 1-100.)

The scaling, on a 2.5 Ghz P4 with half a gig of RAM is rather so-so, even for just a few windows.

Overall experience: meh.

If you want screenshots or want me to test something, PM/email/post. I'll be happy to help in the name of general interest.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

If you want screenshots or want me to test something, PM/email/post. I'll be happy to help in the name of general interest.

Yes, if you can take screenshots and/or movies showing the windows in motion, don't wait!
  • Reply 48 of 52
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Will do when I get back from classes. Sadly, screenshots is the best I can do, unless someone can point me in the direction of a freeware movie capture tool for Windows...

Apropos, I just discovered that WinPlosion... well, winplodes when waking up from sleep. Excellent application, indeed. (Why did I pay for this again?)
  • Reply 49 of 52
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Will do when I get back from classes. Sadly, screenshots is the best I can do, unless someone can point me in the direction of a freeware movie capture tool for Windows...

Apropos, I just discovered that WinPlosion... well, winplodes when waking up from sleep. Excellent application, indeed. (Why did I pay for this again?)

If you have the latest version of Office, go here to learn how to use PowerPoint to create movies.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Sadly, screenshots is the best I can do, unless someone can point me in the direction of a freeware movie capture tool for Windows...

You can try this one. I have not personally tried it, so I cannot comment.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Quote:

Guys, you have nothing to worry about. The implementation is rather so-so, and I want my money back.

First of all, once you enter the various modes (all windows or app windows), you can not restore them to their normal sizes unless you select a window or hit Escape.

Also, this is useless on Windows, precisely because Windows is so very MDI-oriented.

Oh, and it's also littered with display anomalies.

Of course, we all know how picky Windows users are when it comes to quality. They would never accept such a sub-par product.

And that's precisely why the Mac now enjoys a healthy 95% market share... oh... wait a minute... \
  • Reply 52 of 52
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I don't think the creators of this program ever tried the real Expose'. The little nuances that make Expose' truly useful seem to be missing in this winPLosion or whatever it's now called.

It's the little things, like if you hit the hot-key combo the first part of the action will occur, and another keystroke causes the 2nd part of the action to occur. But, hold down the key combo, and when you release the keys, the 2nd action will occur w/o the need for another keystroke.

Also, don't forget, the OS X windows are live (video keeps playing, etc.).