cell phones at gas stations (shakes head)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i've told 2 people this week that you're not supposed to use your cell phones at a gas station. one arogant "businessman" looked at me ike i was crazy, muttered something. i then called him an asshole after i told him "fine blow the place up" or something to effect

you aren't even supposed to have your phone turned on at a gas station!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    you're not?
  • Reply 2 of 52
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You need to chill out, man. It is not that big of a deal.

If someone walked up to me and started ragging on me for using my cell phone, I'd probably mumble a "whatever" and keep talking too. If he then told me to blow the place up called me an asshole, I'd grab him and throw his ignorant ass to the ground.

And in this case, that would be you I guess.

• Reply 3 of 52
    i'll refer you to an episode of "myth busters" regarding the cell phone gas thing....
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Sorry, this is lame.

1) Lithium Ion batteries run a nominal 3.7V. This is not enough to leap across anything. Fark, it's completely pathetic in terms of voltage.

2) EL backlights and CCDs do have high voltage inverter/transformers, but in this case the current is extremely low and there's not really enough juice to ignite anything.

3) Your car battery is 12V

4) The flourescent lights at most gas stations push more high voltage current that anything in your car, unless you cart tesla coils around with you.

Phone away. Most people out there who make this stuff up are ignorant. If you told me "fine, blow the place up." I'd tear off your head, shit down your neck, and then tell you in 4 reasons why you're an idiot.
  • Reply 5 of 52
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i'll refer you to an episode of "myth busters" regarding the cell phone gas thing....

I saw that show! The last show I saw they got drunk to see if they could beat the breathalizer test. This myth was broken.

I don't think I'd go around bothering people pumping gas unless they're smoking a cig. Give all gas pumpers a break man. Cell phones are safe - except for that brain tumor thingy.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Fires are caused by static electricity not cell phones...

be sure to ground yourself before touching the pumping hose in your tank.

IT's not cell phones. If you get out of your car without first discharging the static built up from wiggling in your seat...

bzzzt... the charge will ignite gas vapours from the tank when you touch the handle of the pump.

Just touch the roof of your car or the door before you take the pump out.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Score one for Snopes.com

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

Good grief. The original "report" came from the same place as that myth of that kid who died by sticking a tire inflator at a gas station in his ass, dropping in a few quarters, and then subsequently exploding.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Hey guys, I'm reading the board wirelessly at a gas station from my cell...wait hold on, OH SHFTHBJKTKJHHJKSDFsggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Yeah, you're right about the static electricity. I always heard women were more prone to this problem because they more than men, get in and out of there car while their gas is pumping. The more you move around, get in and out etc. whilst your gas is pumping, the more likely for you to have Static problems. All ladies should be careful.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I use my phone all the time while I pump gas and I'd be pretty pissed if some stranger came up to me and told me to stop.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    What else is there to do while you're pumping gas anyways. It's better to talk on the cell while you're pumping then when you're driving! Anyone talking on the cell while driving is only using half their brain to drive, which is very evident in their driving. I see this all of the time. Next time your driving in your car, count the number of people you see on the phone. You'll be surprised that it's about half.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    While Mythbusters put the lie to the cell phone thing, they did prove that eating poppyseed cake can make you test positive for opiates-- for hours afterward. Use that information as you will.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    ...Because Opium is made from poppy seeds..that one always made sense to me.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The hospital I work at bans cell phones. For no good reason as far as I can tell. The only benefit that i can tell is not having to deal with a-holes on their cell phones.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I suspect it's because they're really uptight about the potential of RF interference setting off somebody's pacemaker. I can never get a decent enough signal in hospitals anyway.

"Hello? ... Yeah it's me ... Hold on, let me put my handset up against this guy's chest ... okay can you hear me now?" *bzzz*
  • Reply 17 of 52
    I never knew you were not suppose to cell phones at a gas station. But using one, can't be any worse then the people I have seen smoking or even lighting up at the gas station.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

The only benefit that i can tell is not having to deal with a-holes on their cell phones.

That's as good a reason as any, right?

Isn't there also the potential for cell phones to mess up telemetry signals (vital signs coming from units on each patient -- esp. impt in emergency/trauma areas)? Or is this really also a myth?
  • Reply 19 of 52
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You're just supposed to turn your ringer off and use vibrate when you're in the hospital.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    okay people,

for those of you who dont know... cell phones are like radios, they transmit and receive radio waves on frequencies regulated by the FCC (in the US). When you are working around sensitive electronic equipment (like in a hospital) it is not advantageous to be generating radio waves in the area... you did not make the equipment and so have no idea how it works, but somebody's life may depend on it functioning properly.

As for the cell phones at gas stations, Im not advocating you live in fear all your lives, but do you really want to be the guy that blows up a gas station because you were talking on a cell phone. Better safe than sorry I think. I dont know whether static discharge can ignite gasoline vapours or not but that was the reason I was given too.

And certainly dont use your radio (cellphone) in a hospital. M'kay.