Eewwwwuuuggghhh.... hangover

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    8) Hey, I'm 21 and new to drinking. I don't have much experience with alcohol to rely on and I was just wondering what to avoid and how much is defiantly too much.

Just asking for a couple words of wisdom from the master.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

a $220 tab!

You spent $220 on breakfast for three people?

Holy ****! What kind of place is this Kerbey Lane?

About your stomach...sounds like you abused it soundly. Dare I ask what you were drinking? Seems like your tummy will need to be treated with TLC for a while. And then try drinking something else altogether...maybe good quality hard liquor. The price would be well worth it to avoid all that suffering.

I never get hangovers. heh. 'Course, sometimes I dance most of the alcohol away. That helps.

I had a (*REALLY*) bad experience with gin one time. Can't bear the slightest sniff of it now. Urgh. And that was at least six years ago. Will probably *never* drink it again. Don't really remember that evening very well - except for the room spinning, endlessly. Tsk. Not good.

I don't drink very often - at least, not to excess. At least, not unless I'm being influenced by my British friends. They *DO* seem to drink a lot...and often! That whole "pub culture" thing.....

But then, 'they' can leave the pub and ride the 'tube' or walk (stumble) home; whereas we Americans generally find ourselves behind the wheel of a car. Tsk. Well, I guess the whole 'driving' thing makes us be good little boys and girls, huh? (relatively speaking, that is)
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Pub culture is good, pub culture is our friend. Mind you $220 is barking madness, breakfast or bar tab. Way to go Kraig!
  • Reply 24 of 66
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    I strongly suspect that there is a more interesting back story to how kraig ended up sleeping on the floor and the two broads ended up on the bed....
  • Reply 25 of 66
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    If you do a lot of binge drinking---taking Advil and Tylenol is hard on the equipment---take the pain the next day.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    If anime* has taught me anything, it's that a raw egg mixed with oil and sprinkled in salt and pepper works to cure hangovers.

but, I've never tried it, I don't drink much at all, and as such, I don't get hangovers.

*cowboy bebop

• Reply 27 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

I strongly suspect that there is a more interesting back story to how kraig ended up sleeping on the floor and the two broads ended up on the bed....

Billybobsky, don't you think the term "broads" is a bit derogatory?

Do you have contempt for women in general, or just specific women?

Just wondering.

No offense intended; and I know it's none of my business. \
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Water, ibuprofen (three of the full-strength ones or two of the double-strength), the newspaper, tea.

All this torment is easily avoided if you drink a pint of water and take some painkillers before you go to bed.

"But I might wake up to pee, Hassan, and that's annoying!"

Yes, you probably will, but it's better to get out of bed to pee two dozen times than to get a muggy booze-sleep, which is not sleep at all. You'll get better sleep between the urine stops.

And where is Murbot when you need him?
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

And where is Murbot when you need him?

Yeah...where IS Murbot?
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Billybobsky, don't you think the term "broads" is a bit derogatory?

Do you have contempt for women in general, or just specific women?

Just wondering.

No offense intended; and I know it's none of my business. \

I never actually considered that it might be offensive. It is up there in my head with dames above chicks and very far removed from the many other derogatory terms that my vocab had acquired over the years... (granted, to me chicks is offensive)...

Sorry to offend. I could have easily said ladies or women, but most definitely would not have used the term girls...

The only contempt i hold for women is that of my incredibly unstable ex-girlfriend with whom i cheated on my incredibly loving and much more together (and indeed many other positive superlatives above my more recent ex) ex-girlfriend. i know its none of your business but i am at the sharing stage of my 6 months of stupidity...
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Yeah...where IS Murbot?

And more to the point, where is the good doctor? I mean Anders?
  • Reply 32 of 66
    oh i guess i should finally post on the topic...

i have never been hung over.

i blame it on an acute and permanent state of dehydration. You see, I go through life hung over and don't really know what it is like not to be in this state....

perhaps someday i won't be dehydrated and could answer how to get out of this state more readily...

oh, and drinking water alone the day after isn't going to help....
  • Reply 33 of 66
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:

All this torment is easily avoided if you drink a pint of water and take some painkillers before you go to bed.

Basically, this is true. For the guy who was new to drinking, it's quite easy.

Beer is by the volumes. If you feel your stomach's getting full, wait half an hour.

Liquor is by rythm and feeling. Hard liquor won't give you hangovers, especially when you stick to 'clear' liquor like wodka or gin. Just don't drink too much, too fast, especially when you're not used to it, because there could be an instant reaction Take your time to feel the alcohol, and you can basically drink 'till you drop. Just wait a few minutes when you feel you had enough.

IF you have to mix drinks (you never should, but it's more fun, so), start with beer, and continue with anything else. Never finish with a beer after a night of hard liquor, it will do damage.

A few more things: try to stay awake for at least an hour after your last drink. Get water into your system, NOT coke. Next morning: don't try to eat! A real hangover only kicks in about half an hour after you got up. Stick to water, painkillers and coke or gatorade or something. I try to put off eating up to 12hrs after my last glass of alcohol. When it's a bad hangover, stay in bed, take some head/stomach pills, drink some water, try to sleep, move as little as possible and sweat it out. When it's a milder hangover you can try to beat it. Showering, running, go for a walk, you could try coffee (although i wouldn't advise it).
  • Reply 34 of 66
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpcMs

IF you have to mix drinks (you never should, but it's more fun, so), start with beer, and continue with anything else. Never finish with a beer after a night of hard liquor, it will do damage.

I thought it was the other way around...

Liquor before beer, you're in the clear;

Beer before liquor, never been sicker.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    last night... this receipt concludes that i had waaay too much. I don't remember much, started off with playing pool with a friend, then an ex gf of mine saw me and we all hooked up, and she had two of her friends with her (one point: they are all lesbians, including ex but thats another story) So we all started to drink, I bought a lot of drinks, for all of us not just myself, and they did too, anyways so um those two lesbians came home with me and my ex too apparently, and um me and my ex kind did some things, but anyways I don't remember much. I bought a total of 7 shiners, 3 buttery nipples, 6 red headed sluts, 12 shots of tequila?!?, 2 shots of 151, a jellyfish?!?, 2 apple turnovers, a b-52?, 3 hours of pool, thats bar 1, at bar 2 I bought myself 2 optimators, 2 live oaks. And thats all I have receipts for.

and now I'm off to do it again!
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

I thought it was the other way around...

Liquor before beer, you're in the clear;

Beer before liquor, never been sicker.

i thought it was candy's dandy but liquor's quicker.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:

last night... this receipt concludes that i had waaay too much. I don't remember much, started off with playing pool with a friend, then an ex gf of mine saw me and we all hooked up, and she had two of her friends with her (one point: they are all lesbians, including ex but thats another story) So we all started to drink, I bought a lot of drinks, for all of us not just myself, and they did too, anyways so um those two lesbians came home with me and my ex too apparently, and um me and my ex kind did some things, but anyways I don't remember much. I bought a total of 7 shiners, 3 buttery nipples, 6 red headed sluts, 12 shots of tequila?!?, 2 shots of 151, a jellyfish?!?, 2 apple turnovers, a b-52?, 3 hours of pool, thats bar 1, at bar 2 I bought myself 2 optimators, 2 live oaks. And thats all I have receipts for.

and now I'm off to do it again!

dear lord.

as i said earlier this week to the resident drunk post-doc in my lab. i fear for your liver. i fear for a lot of people's livers...
  • Reply 38 of 66
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpcMs

Basically, this is true. For the guy who was new to drinking, it's quite easy.

Beer is by the volumes. If you feel your stomach's getting full, wait half an hour.

Liquor is by rythm and feeling. Hard liquor won't give you hangovers, especially when you stick to 'clear' liquor like wodka or gin. Just don't drink too much, too fast, especially when you're not used to it, because there could be an instant reaction Take your time to feel the alcohol, and you can basically drink 'till you drop. Just wait a few minutes when you feel you had enough.

A few more things: try to stay awake for at least an hour after your last drink. Get water into your system, NOT coke. Next morning: don't try to eat! A real hangover only kicks in about half an hour after you got up. Stick to water, painkillers and coke or gatorade or something. I try to put off eating up to 12hrs after my last glass of alcohol. When it's a bad hangover, stay in bed, take some head/stomach pills, drink some water, try to sleep, move as little as possible and sweat it out. When it's a milder hangover you can try to beat it. Showering, running, go for a walk, you could try coffee (although i wouldn't advise it).

I think some people see drinking as way to much of an art. Trust me, it is a science. To the guy who hasn't drank: go out and make yourself sick a few times. It makes a good story.

About how to drink (for an average weight man)

- To stay below the legal limit, have two or fewer drinks per hour

- To get a little drunk, have three drinks an hour

- To get drunk quick, chug four drinks

- To plaster yourself, have five or more drinks per hour

A drink is a 12oz beer, shot, mixed drink, ec.

If the liquid you are drinking is dark, it has a lot of oxidents and will give you a hangover. Like SpcMS says, if it is clear, it won't really give you a hangover. If i'm going out to get plastered, I drink Gin & Tonic all night with some shots of Vodka.

Don't listen to crap as to when to drink what (beer first, liquor first, whatever) . Follow the above rules and you'll be fine, no matter what the drink or in what order.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the liquor/beer rules exist for one reason.

if you start drinking beer you get used to drinking large quantities of liquids to get a slight buzz. if you then switch to liquor, you'll already be getting dehydrated from the beer, and your body will be used to tossing back large amounts of liquids.

next thing you know you're on the ground ****ed up beyond belief with two lesbians sleeping in your bed.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

... and now I'm off to do it again!

Talk about learning from one's mistakes.