Motion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That's fvcking pitiful.

I agree but would bet that that will change in the next 12 months (just a hunch). As well, I don't know how true that is: when Maya was announced for the Mac, the most powerful card available was the first Radeon, not the most powerful of cards considering what was available on the PC.

It's been over a year, but the Alias sales rep from my previous job (we used AutoStudio quite a bit), said there wasn't much as much demand for Unlimited for the Mac. Most Maya Complete purchasers were ad agencies that didn't need Maya Cloth, etc. and, to be honest, new Maya users were just trying to digest the app. A year later, Unlimited demand may now be greater, I'll admit.

As an aside: I have a DP800/GF3/1.5GB. Does that meet the minimum? My guess why the minimum is so high is due to the "behavior" animation approach. From reading the site, I'd bet it requires a bit of horsepower.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

At $4950.00 Shake is not going kill off sales of anything. The average prosumer or even pro who is using AE is not going to run out and drop an extra $4000.00 for Shake.

Actually check out maccentrals piece. They reference a new price for Shake.

Available for Mac OS X, linux and Irix, Shake costs US$2,999 for Mac OS X (with unlimited render licenses) or $4,999 for Linux and Irix (with annual maintenance fees of $1,499). Registered Shake 3 users can upgrade for $799.

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/04/18/shake/

This would be sweet. It means Shake has gone from $10k a few years back to one third the price today. It means more awards for Shake as it's use increases.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

The minimum machine is my current system. But I have 256MB more ram. MY video card is a GeForce 3 TI. I think it'll do. But 10 GB of drive space for Motion. It may be a better application than we are taking it for. With all that data it's gotta have some kind of fire power.

Those Graphics cards are getting as long in the tooth as mine. Apple needs new cards, and they need pro level 3D cards. I just read a rumor at the Alias forums (Formerly Alias|Wavefront forums) that a guy from Alias said Maya isn't available as Unlimited on the Mac side because Apple doesn't have support for Pro 3D cards.

That's fvcking pitiful.

Onlooker, which Alias forum are you talking about?

Les.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Owning the industry once more.... sa-weeet!

http://www.apple.com/software/pro/
  • Reply 25 of 64
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Final Cut Pro>Final Cut Express

Logic> Logic Express

Shake> Motion

Neato. Now we just need a DVD Studio Express.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:

I just read a rumor at the Alias forums (Formerly Alias|Wavefront forums) that a guy from Alias said Maya isn't available as Unlimited on the Mac side because Apple doesn't have support for Pro 3D cards.

That's fvcking pitiful.

Actually, Apple said the G5 has perfect support for Pro cards, but no one's writing any drivers. I read a rumor a few months ago that Apple would be writing drivers for high end, 512-MB GPUs in time for the Rev. B G5s.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    I don't think it will be as good as AE esp now at first, it sounds to me to be a bunch of prefabricated templates and/or template maker. I don't know but thats just me. I hope they make it like after effects in a lot of ways in Livetype it was just a pain to make keyframes to move them around, even to animate the opacity even.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Neato. Now we just need a DVD Studio Express.

iDVD

you can do a lot with iDVD if you jsut spend sometime with it. if you really need all the extra stuff, then get DVDSP. Apple can't put out 3 or 4 versions of every program just to satisfy every possible type of user. either learn how to use iDVD better or shell out the bucks.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

iDVD

you can do a lot with iDVD if you jsut spend sometime with it. if you really need all the extra stuff, then get DVDSP. Apple can't put out 3 or 4 versions of every program just to satisfy every possible type of user. either learn how to use iDVD better or shell out the bucks.

Now that I think about it, DVD authoring doesn't need an Express app simply because DVD SP already has a low price and an easy-to-learn interface.

Can you point me to an article on making iDVD themes? I just don't get that, I haven't seen any official (Apple-published) material on that.

Thanks.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

I don't think it will be as good as AE esp now at first, it sounds to me to be a bunch of prefabricated templates and/or template maker. I don't know but thats just me. I hope they make it like after effects in a lot of ways in Livetype it was just a pain to make keyframes to move them around, even to animate the opacity even.

I agree, if it is anything like LiveType, I'll pass. I can't see much in this app that would make me want to switch from Combustion and AE (both of which I use for different tasks frequently). However, for $300, this may be perfect for a lot of people that want to try their hand at motion graphics without investing in the more professional packages.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by les t

Onlooker, which Alias forum are you talking about?

Les.

]

The Maya for Mac OS X user to user forum at Alias
  • Reply 32 of 64
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Can you point me to an article on making iDVD themes? I just don't get that, I haven't seen any official (Apple-published) material on that.

Thanks.

well you can create your own background images/video using any photo or graphics program (after effects, imovie, final cut, or motion ) and obviously you can use any sound file for background music. then once you have all of that, open up the theme window, go to customize, and change fonts, buttons, etc. i dont think you need any more custom theming than that. also, with iDVD4, you can create video intros to your main menu. does that help?
  • Reply 33 of 64
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Can anyone find video of Motion in motion? I'd like to see some tutorials and people actually working with it....
  • Reply 34 of 64
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Can anyone find video of Motion in motion? I'd like to see some tutorials and people actually working with it....

Uh, it won't be out for a few months, so...
  • Reply 35 of 64
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:

Uh, it won't be out for a few months, so...

There were videos of Jaguar in action months before it came out. I'd like to see more of what Motion actually is than having to guess and wait.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

I agree, if it is anything like LiveType, I'll pass. I can't see much in this app that would make me want to switch from Combustion and AE (both of which I use for different tasks frequently).

I would think it rather strange to buy this or any of these types of apps (LiveType, Compressor, Soundtrack, etc.) a la carte unless one can afford to dabble with it and see if they would want the rest of the suite. They're really designed to complement FCP and the whole digital video workflow thing, and not replace AE or something else by themselves. I think the difference here is that the intention of this pro suite of apps is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. In themselves they might seem underpowered or less complete than other companies' offerings. Rather than doing the über-app with all of this stuff under one umbrella, chewing through resources with stuff you don't want or need at a given time, Apple is creating an armada of pro apps that dovetail together with little overlap or highly targeted helper apps for certain tasks.

This is why Windows has a "maximize" button and OS X doesn't.

Apps like Compressor, Soundtrack and now Motion are task-oriented bric-a-brac apps as opposed to the more complex and flexible FCP, Logic and Shake, which are for building things from the ground-up. You don't need Soundtrack or Motion, but it's a shortcut. Or put another way, it's like picking out a home plan from a book or magazine instead of hiring an architect to design one from scratch.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

This is why Windows has a "maximize" button and OS X doesn't.

Well said. Apple has it right.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Phong

There were videos of Jaguar in action months before it came out. I'd like to see more of what Motion actually is than having to guess and wait.

Well, yeah, but I'm saying that only Apple could release more info, as nobody else has it as of yet. So if you want to stay up-to-date, you'll have to keep checking their page.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    its about time apple started releasing 30 day trial versions -- so people can see if the app is going to work for them rather than guessing...
  • Reply 40 of 64
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

its about time apple started releasing 30 day trial versions -- so people can see if the app is going to work for them rather than guessing...

Yes, seriously, this is excellent news! I can't believe I missed that part.

EDIT: D'oh! Read Defiant's post below. *Totally* misread the comment above.