New PowerBooks (April 19 intro)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 176
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Ouch, I felt the price of my computer drop pretty far. But these updates are good, hopefully they can contribute to a profit this quarter while sales on G5's and iMac's are slowing.

I guess I have to send my PBook into to be fixed to feel better about myself. Does anyone know how you get a temp replacement for while yours is being fixed?
  • Reply 22 of 176
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Holy cow, I just now noticed the $100 and $200 price drops on the 15" SuperDrive and 17" models! Now $2499 and $2799.

This time last year the 17" was $3299! Then dropped to $2999 last fall. Now $2799? Awesome!

I think the price drops in the last two Powerbooks updates, as well as the price adjustments in Europe where VAT exceeds in many cases the 20% of the real value, are historical marks in Apple's pricing. Do you remember back in the G3 Powerbook era how much a 14" Powerbook did cost? And how much did cost in Europe?
  • Reply 23 of 176
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    Oh man oh man oh man.. I just can't wait.. I'm expecting some money back from the Feds, and it'll be a sizeable down payment on one of these bad boys.. Apple Loan for another 6 months of interest free payment and then boom!

So.. what's on the horizon for this summer? I'm really trying to find a reason for needing a G5, and usually in summer I get tons of video editing side jobs. Hmm...
  • Reply 24 of 176
    666666 Posts: 134member
    In australia, it's $700 cheaper now to buy the top of the line 15"!!!!!!!

and this is the first time my 15" 1.25g superdrive has beeen outdated... It feels lonely out here...
  • Reply 25 of 176
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'm wondering if my wife would kill me if I "upgraded" from a 700MHz G3 iBook to a nifty new 12" combo drive PB? At educational pricing the PB would be less than I paid for my iBook with airport/ram upgraded. Hmmm, things to ponder...
  • Reply 26 of 176
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    What performance increases can one expect from adding an extra 64MB VRAM to the Powerbook graphics card? Substantial because the memory is doubled or limited since its essentially the same card? Exposé should love that extra VRAM, don't you think?
  • Reply 27 of 176
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Only bad thing: NVIDIA graphics. NVIDIA sucks in laptops still. I am also betting the 9200 is better. But the 9700 mobile now THAT is HOT to see esp with a whopping 128 VRAM!!!
  • Reply 28 of 176
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

What performance increases can one expect from adding an extra 64MB VRAM to the Powerbook graphics card? Substantial because the memory is doubled or limited since its essentially the same card? Exposé should love that extra VRAM, don't you think?

Rest assured, OS X eats RAM for breakfast, but drinks VRAM in coffee breaks. Expose is going to see significant improvements not necessarily in speed, but in responsiveness when many windows are open.
  • Reply 29 of 176
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    It's a nice upgrade. But, I bought in December 2003 (15" superdrive)....and I have to say I'm glad I didn't wait. Though, the 128MB video would have been nice....
  • Reply 30 of 176
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Rest assured, OS X eats RAM for breakfast, but drinks VRAM in coffee breaks. Expose is going to see significant improvements not necessarily in speed, but in responsiveness when many windows are open.

And responsivness is: A Good Thing?

Thanks for the input, PB!
  • Reply 31 of 176
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I feel the same way. I think it's a really great upgrade (and I'm happy for anyone needing an Apple laptop right now), but I honestly don't exactly feel "blown out of the water" either, so it's cool on all ends.

Unlike others around the forum, I DON'T suddenly feel like "yesterday's news". Basically, the only difference from my PowerBook to the version of it announced today is a 4x SuperDrive (the CD-R portion - which I use all the time - hasn't changed, so...) and going from 1.25GHz to 1.5. 250MHz? Nice, but not going to make me throw mine out the window.

Someone in another thread talked about selling their 1.33GHz 17" PowerBook, which I think is kinda stupid.

I'll be keeping my PowerBook until the PowerBooks are at least TWO revisions into the G5, and well above 2GHz. This will be - I'd imagine - very, very late 2005 or even well into 2006.

I'm in no hurry and I vowed to keep this PowerBook for at least two years, but it'll probably be more like 3-plus. I ain't no murbot.

• Reply 32 of 176
    bytemebyteme Posts: 45member
    I was going to buy a NeW 12" PB Superdrive, but after seeing the NeW 15" PB SUperdrive, I can't hold back.

This will be my first MaC and I am unsure what to do...what to do...what to do???
  • Reply 33 of 176
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    My aluminum 15" is weeping.
  • Reply 34 of 176
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

I feel the same way. I think it's a really great upgrade (and I'm happy for anyone needing an Apple laptop right now), but I honestly don't exactly feel "blown out of the water" either, so it's cool on all ends.

Unlike others around the forum, I DON'T suddenly feel like "yesterday's news". Basically, the only difference from my PowerBook to the version of it announced today is a 4x SuperDrive (the CD-R portion - which I use all the time - hasn't changed, so...) and going from 1.25GHz to 1.5. 250MHz? Nice, but not going to make me throw mine out the window.

Someone in another thread talked about selling their 1.33GHz 17" PowerBook, which I think is kinda stupid.

I'll be keeping my PowerBook until the PowerBooks are at least TWO revisions into the G5, and well above 2GHz. This will be - I'd imagine - very, very late 2005 or even well into 2006.

I'm in no hurry and I vowed to keep this PowerBook for at least two years, but it'll probably be more like 3-plus. I ain't no murbot.

me too. It'll be years before I buy again. At least 2006.
  • Reply 35 of 176
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Wow, the updates look pretty good.

One question I have is this: is the only reason for purchasing the 17 inch powerbook that it has a larger LCD? I can't find any extra specs over the 15 inch.
  • Reply 36 of 176
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

There is NOTHING to bitch about here, folks.

Paul you're wrong. I can think of at least one thing to bitch:

"This thing can't run Windows!" <--- That's it! Apple is doomed! I am getting a Dell!

• Reply 37 of 176
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

My aluminum 15" is weeping.

I know the feeling!

even the lowest end ibook is speced very similiarly to my 15" AlBook and for half the price i paid!!! But i have been enjoying my machine for the past 7 months, and i intend to be using it for another 3 years.

Graet work apple!
  • Reply 38 of 176
    yeah, really, any mac that doesn't run windoze must be crap
  • Reply 39 of 176
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

What is "clamshell mode"? Is that using the laptop closed when hooked to an external display (I'm guessing it is) and just using the laptop as a really small, slim tower?

"Slim tower." I love the sound of that, pscates. And that's exactly what I'm planning to do with my new 12-inch PowerBook. You correctly guessed the meaning of clamshell mode.

Quote:

Is there a benefit to doing this? Wouldn't you want two screens, or is it an issue of desk space?

As pointed out above, you get all of the VRAM for the single external display in clamshell mode. But for me, the first consideration is desk space. I have no desire to have an open PowerBook cluttering up my desk, even on a fancy stand. My need for screen real estate is moderate too. The 1280x1024 of my 17" desktop LCD will be more than enough when I'm not on the road. The second (even more important) consideration is that the internal 12" LCD looks so pathetically washed out next to a high-quality 17" desktop LCD, that I would rather not use the internal LCD at all.

Quote:

Does my 15" SuperDrive PowerBook do this?

Yes, of course, pscates. That's why it's a PowerBook. Note, however, that the 15-inch and 17-inch PowerBook LCD panels are much brighter and overall nicer that that in the 12-inch PowerBook (and iBook). So my second consideration above may not apply to you.

Escher
  • Reply 40 of 176
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    PS: Anybody know where to find the Developer Notes for the new PowerBooks? I really want to know whether all of them (and the iBooks) feature Moto's low-power PPC 7447A chip.