Just Ordered A 15'' PowerBook!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I could not resist, and my parents offered me an amount I could not refuse, towards the payment of my comp. I was all set to get the 12'' PowerBook but I went ahead and got a loaded up 15'' with all the trimmings.

80 GB HD 5400 RPM

128 MB graphics

the 15'' screen obviously along with the backlit keyboard (hehe)

And superdrive

I am so pumped, this will last me 4 years of college.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Nice purchase!!!

*checks wallet*

nope, i still can't get one
  • Reply 2 of 101
    a better choice.

good luck with your new machine.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I ordered the same. Got 512MB of RAM in 1 stick too.

I am so pumped, this will last me 4 weeks of summer.

• Reply 4 of 101
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I could not resist, and my parents offered me an amount I could not refuse, towards the payment of my comp. I was all set to get the 12'' PowerBook but I went ahead and got a loaded up 15'' with all the trimmings.

80 GB HD 5400 RPM

128 MB graphics

And superdrive

Congratulations. When is the PowerBook being shipped. Please do post the Xbench results. I want to see how the PowerBook 1.5 Ghz compares to PowerMac G5 1.6 Ghz, I am sure the PowerBook would beat the 1.6 G5 in the Altivec test.
  • Reply 5 of 101
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

Congratulations. When is the PowerBook being shipped. Please do post the Xbench results. I want to see how the PowerBook 1.5 Ghz compares to PowerMac G5 1.6 Ghz, I am sure the PowerBook would beat the 1.6 G5 in the Altivec test.

Thanks and I will do that.

On or before April 30th.
  • Reply 6 of 101
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well that's cool. Yeah, in a situation like this you may as well go balls-out (looking out at the next four years or so). With that hard drive and that graphic card, you should easily be happy with it for a LONG time...
  • Reply 7 of 101
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Ugh, they were announced monday and I still feel my 1.25Ghz PBook value droping

Guess I can't be greedy and hope to stay on top forever huh?
  • Reply 8 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Ugh, they were announced monday and I still feel my 1.25Ghz PBook value droping

Guess I can't be greedy and hope to stay on top forever huh?

Not with me around!
  • Reply 9 of 101
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I ordered the same. Got 512MB of RAM in 1 stick too.

I am so pumped, this will last me 4 weeks of summer.

wow that long...
  • Reply 10 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Well that's cool. Yeah, in a situation like this you may as well go balls-out (looking out at the next four years or so). With that hard drive and that graphic card, you should easily be happy with it for a LONG time...

I upgraded the HD speed because it was a fairly cheap upgrade and seemed like a no brainer. I however, do not know what speed improvement, if any the 5400 RPM drive will give me. I was also trying to find out the speed of my current original 800 MHz G4 Superdrive iMac's Hard Disk is. I hear that 5400 is a good speed, 7200 is better, and some desktops even have 10000 now.

What does it all mean? From what I gather, the faster it is the more quickly it accesses information off of the disc. I'm just wondering if this new PowerBook will be faster than my current iMac in every single way. I think it will...

iMac-100 MHz bus

PowerBook-167 MHz bus

iMac HD-60 GB ? RPM

PowerBook HD-80 GB HD @5400 RPM

iMac-800 MHz G4

PowerBook-1.5 GHz G4

iMac-Geforce 2MX 32 MB

PowerBook-Radeon 9700 128 MB

iMac-15 inch LCD

PowerBook-15.2 inch LCD with better res

iMac-Slower Superdrive

PowerBook-Faster Superdrive (by how much I dont know)

iMac-portable? In the 1980's yes. 25 LBS

PowerBook-portable? Uhm, I would say so. 5.7 LBS

I think it is safe to say the PowerBook is faster all around!
  • Reply 11 of 101
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    Quote:

80 GB HD 5400 RPM

128 MB graphics

And superdrive

I also purchased the same PB on the 22nd, only with a single stick of 512MB SODIMM. On your order status, I'm wondering, what does it say as far as shipping date (on or before) for you?

Quote:

I upgraded the HD speed because it was a fairly cheap upgrade and seemed like a no brainer. I however, do not know what speed improvement, if any the 5400 RPM drive will give me. I was also trying to find out the speed of my current original 800 MHz G4 Superdrive iMac's Hard Disk is. I hear that 5400 is a good speed, 7200 is better, and some desktops even have 10000 now.

What does it all mean? From what I gather, the faster it is the more quickly it accesses information off of the disc.

RPM stands for revolutions per minute. The faster the disc in the hard drive spins, the faster the cpu can read data from it. Faster is better.
  • Reply 12 of 101
    On or before 4/30/04
  • Reply 13 of 101
    pacepace Posts: 10member
    After weighing the pros and cons of going with an HP notebook, or making the switch to Apple, I just ordered a 17" PB. The updated specs and lowered prices clinched it for me. This will be my first Apple, and I'm very excited (been using PCs since the 286 days).

I chose the 128Mb graphics and 5400rpm HD upgrade options. I placed my order yesterday (Friday 04/24) and the status page says "on or before 04/30".

-Pace
  • Reply 14 of 101
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pace

After weighing the pros and cons of going with an HP notebook, or making the switch to Apple, I just ordered a 17" PB. The updated specs and lowered prices clinched it for me. This will be my first Apple, and I'm very excited (been using PCs since the 286 days).

I chose the 128Mb graphics and 5400rpm HD upgrade options. I placed my order yesterday (Friday 04/24) and the status page says "on or before 04/30".

-Pace

Welcome to AI and excellent purchase/choice!
  • Reply 15 of 101
    pacepace Posts: 10member
    I think Apple's marketing machine has been very effective both in targetting techies and regular schmoes. I'm a software engineer, and as a Unix enthusiast I had been lusting after OS X ever since I learned of it. A month ago, my wife and I just happened to wander into an Apple store to check out the pretty iPods we had seen on TV. Of course, while she was ooh'ing and aah'ing over the mini pods, I was ooh'ing and aah'ing over the PBs.. She left the store with a mini, and I left it with a renewed interest in Apple's notebooks. 8)

Now I'm just itching for the darn thing to arrive..!

-Pace
  • Reply 16 of 101
    solerosolero Posts: 30member
    Quote:

(been using PCs since the 286 days).

What's the 286 days
  • Reply 17 of 101
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    Can any experienced Apple shopper tell us if, since we ordered our PBs on 4/22 (Thursday) and 4/23 (Friday), will Apple ship before 4/30 (Friday), in your opinion? That's 6 business days for my computer... Does apple usually ship more often towards the 3 or 5 day on BTO PBs?
  • Reply 18 of 101
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solero

What's the 286 days

286 - Class of Processor. (286, 386, 486...) He's using it as a way to date himself. Like if I was to say I've been using Macs since the 68k days.
  • Reply 19 of 101
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

wow that long...

If you only knew...
  • Reply 20 of 101
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

She left the store with a mini, and I left it with a renewed interest in Apple's notebooks. 8)

-Pace

Congrats! But where the f*ck did you find a mini in the store? I can't find them anywhere...