• Reply 21 of 101
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    congrats, messiahtosh...

i just ordered a 12" 1.33GHz with 768MB RAM... can't wait until it's here
  • Reply 22 of 101
    solerosolero Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

286 - Class of Processor. (286, 386, 486...) He's using it as a way to date himself. Like if I was to say I've been using Macs since the 68k days.

That makes sense. Thanks ChrisG.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Congrats. I am in the process of lining one up now, and I need to find out when I qualify for my UMBC student discount...

So depending on things, I'll be lookin at the high 12" mid and high 15"s. I'll be looking forward to see how you rate your 'lil beast.
  • Reply 24 of 101
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solero

What's the 286 days

It is a verry old chip, infact if memory serves, it was the first intel x86 chip, the one i had ran dos, couldnt get windows 3.1 on a 20 mb hdd, and the chip its self was a whopping 20 mhz
  • Reply 25 of 101
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    on the new 15 inch model, can the video memory be upgraded like main system memory down the road, aftermarket, or do I have to shell out the extra for it when I buy the system?
  • Reply 26 of 101
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I don't think you've ever been able to upgrade video memory on any PowerBook. P.S. I love all these "going to college" people thinking it will be enough to satisfy for four years! :P

Remember to save some money for things like books, fees, tuition, food, an apt. -- these kinds of things that just might be important; i.e., don't blow generous local scholarships on onerous vaporware off eBay (a long, sad story...but I have a better PB now because of all that mess really).

Congrats on the beautiful machines; just don't whine if they turn out to be a short-lived stopgap.
  • Reply 27 of 101
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Ok, it will last me 3 years...maybe 3 and a half. I'm gonna make it work for me for 4 though, and buy something for my first job.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

Congrats on the beautiful machines; just don't whine if they turn out to be a short-lived stopgap.

Why would they turn out to be 'a short-lived stopgap'?
  • Reply 29 of 101
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mordak

Why would they turn out to be 'a short-lived stopgap'?

Shhh, he thinks the PowerBook G5 is coming soon or something.
  • Reply 30 of 101
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Note the IF -- a mere conditional statement, people!
  • Reply 31 of 101
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mordak

Can any experienced Apple shopper tell us if, since we ordered our PBs on 4/22 (Thursday) and 4/23 (Friday), will Apple ship before 4/30 (Friday), in your opinion? That's 6 business days for my computer... Does apple usually ship more often towards the 3 or 5 day on BTO PBs?

... bump?
  • Reply 32 of 101
    pacepace Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Congrats! But where the f*ck did you find a mini in the store? I can't find them anywhere...

Denver has two apple stores. We stopped in at the one on my side of town. They only had silver ones in stock, so that's what she got. Last time I went in I didn't check whether they still had any, nor whether they had the other colors in..

Regarding the G4 PB being a 'stopgap' - I usually keep my notebooks for 3 years, and don't expect this to be an exception. I don't need nor want the latest and greatest.

-Pace
  • Reply 33 of 101
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I however, do not know what speed improvement, if any the 5400 RPM drive will give me. I was also trying to find out the speed of my current original 800 MHz G4 Superdrive iMac's Hard Disk is. I hear that 5400 is a good speed, 7200 is better, and some desktops even have 10000 now.

The iMac, as a desktop, must have a hard drive with at least 5400 rpm. Even then, you can expect the powerbook to be 1.5 times more fast overall or more (I bet more close to x2 faster).

Hard drive speed, as it has already pointed out, affects mostly the speed CPU can access data on the drive. This in turn affects opening/launching times for applications and documents and generally file access. In portables, it can make a whole new system (well, sort of). I remember when I used a 5400 rpm drive in a... Wallsreet under 10.1.5. The improvement over the old drive was unbelievable ( I don't remember though the old drive's speed ), but if you have not used an older Powerbook/iBook, then perhaps you don't have a reference point to make comparisons. Anyway, get it as it is and enjoy your new Powerbook!
  • Reply 34 of 101
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

80 GB HD 5400 RPM

128 MB graphics

the 15'' screen obviously along with the backlit keyboard (hehe)

And superdrive

And don't forget to report back when you receive it. Details please: heat, battery, fan activity, CPU temperature under light/heavy load, speed/benchmarks (apart xbench you can try Altivec Fractal Carbon too playing with its settings), DVD playback, sound/speakers, just to guide you a little .
  • Reply 35 of 101
    gustogusto Posts: 3member
    Great buy! I have "the same" (the one before the last hw-update). Beautiful piece of machinery. Really compact and secure. Can stand a hit to the ground. I fell on an icy hill this winter, and I think the PB got a REAL hit. I couldn't believe what I just managed to to.

This was the result. Just a little dent in the corner and a little eye candy destroyer over the modem port. No hardware got damaged. Solid stuff.
  • Reply 36 of 101
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yee haw. Shipment notification today!

• Reply 37 of 101
    I'll be getting my 15" PB tonight . It's my first laptop. Anyone have good advice on protective accessories or insurance for it?
  • Reply 38 of 101
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    SafeWare is good for coverage of accidental damage or theft.

As for bags, there is a good 8 page thread at MacNN that you can wade through:

Need a backpack/bag/sleeve for your PB? *Look here*

Make CERTAIN you get a good bag. Every time I see an aluminum PowerBook with a dented in corner, I cry.
  • Reply 39 of 101
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

SafeWare is good for coverage of accidental damage or theft.

Do you get that in addition to AppleCare or instead of?
  • Reply 40 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Make CERTAIN you get a good bag. Every time I see an aluminum PowerBook with a dented in corner, I cry.

Thanks for the links, but please don't cry.

That sure is a lot 'o' bags. I like this one: Booq PS15. Any opinions?