Do you own a PC?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    I'd love to update my PC but I spent so much money on this G5 I cant afford it.

The PC P3 1Ghz (256mb RAM) runs Corel Draw faster than the G5 1.6Ghz (1.25Gb RAM)... I wont go into the price difference

If it was not for Graphic Design I could give up the Mac, but not the PC. My wife prefers the PC and I would have to agree...
  • Reply 22 of 50
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I have one for games. I never use any other program on it (so in that respect it has less chance to be screwed up). I honestly would be better served with a PS2 though.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    podmatepodmate Posts: 183member
    I've got a Dell Poweredge 400SC. Its dual-boot XP/NetBSD. I use XP for games only and NetBSD for testing and development.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Had one built in December of 2002, it is in the kids room and has no internet connection.

The wife and I prefer our Mac's, and so do the kids. I use it under a Red Hat 9 and XP Pro Dual Boot set up.

Mostly used by the kids, I still do some original Java programming on it and my HTML work. I have a freeware text editor that I just love and haven't found anything quite as nice for my Mac.

Even though most of the software we have bought is both Mac and PC compatible, it comes down to room on the hard drive. Well, it has multiple HD's and it is easily upgraded.

I also use it for a test bed for spare parts that I have acqired. It is also set up with an external USB 2.0 CD burner that worked on my Mac's till I upgraded to Jag.

I spend too much time fixing prob's with that machine for how much it is used.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Yea, 3. One gateway(now sisters) and 2 I built myself.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

--snip--

What can I say, I love my gaming!

For one... that's a lot of cash to blow on a "gaming" rig.

And for two... most games are not going to run better on a dual box. The only advantage you will find is with running other processes in the background while playing games.

• Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by podmate

I've got a Dell Poweredge 400SC. Its dual-boot XP/NetBSD. I use XP for games only and NetBSD for testing and development.

Do you run X11 on NetBSD? If so...

Which X server are you using?

What window manager or desktop enviroment do you use?
  • Reply 28 of 50
    podmatepodmate Posts: 183member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Do you run X11 on NetBSD? If so...

Which X server are you using?

What window manager or desktop enviroment do you use?

I do not run X.

I use this box for database development/testing and for perl/shell script testing. I've considered adding X, but I do all my graphical stuff on my Macs.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    PC owner, but soon to own a Mac. i think from now on, i will always own 2 computers...
  • Reply 30 of 50
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    \\/\\/ickes, check and check...
  • Reply 31 of 50
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I'm posting this from my PC running Windows. Gonna get a iBook or a Powerbook in a week or two. In the long term (mebbe a year) I see myself getting a separate gaming/development PC as well. The current one will start earning its keep as a server, starting this summer. It already has Red Hat installed, but I haven't bothered to set up the necessary apps and daemons.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    A pc free home here.

I did own a pc (actually 2) a long time ago. Sold the first one, a desktop, to buy flight tickets, and sold the second one, a laptop, and bought some flight tickets. \

Apart from the first ever computer I had (that run MSX) most of the computers I've had have been Macs. And going to keep it that way.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have a 2 years old PC : athlon 2400 XP with geforce 4 TI 4200 AGP 8 X. My daughter use it on a regular basis : i am happy.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Actually three:

- Centrino notebook for work since the Apple PowerBooks just don't cut it recently

- Linux music home server/webdev prototyping server

- fli4l DSL router/DynDNS client/Firewall.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    2 x 2600+ AMD PC's (Red Hat 7.3) running tomcat 5 (trying clustering and failing dismally)

1 x HP D330 Celeron 2.4 (Fedora 1) mucking about

1 x HP D520 P2.6 (Suse 9) (SQL Server)

2 x 600Mhz P3 (Debian 2.2 (potato)) running Tomcat 4.1.12

1 x 3.2Ghz noname Win98 games machine.

1 x 1.4 AMD XPP cost it was lying around.

2 x 2 meter 19" racks , 2 x UPS units.

1 x Dual 533 G4

1 x Dual 450 G4

1 x 400Mhz G3

1 x Sun UltraEnterprise 2

3 x Sun Ultra 10

2 x Sun Ultra 5

2 x Netra T1

1 x E3000 (not currently in use as it sucks too much power).

1 x Cat 5000 with 1 x Super I mod and 3 x 24 10/100 mods.

1 x electricity billHUGE

And no, I don't have a life.

Did I mention that I like playing with unix?

Edit: I forgot to mention my Alpha 1000 and Alpha 2000 running 6.2-1H3 and 7.3.

Dobby.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

2 x 2600+ AMD PC's (Red Hat 7.3) running tomcat 5 (trying clustering and failing dismally)

1 x HP D330 Celeron 2.4 (Fedora 1) mucking about

1 x HP D520 P2.6 (Suse 9) (SQL Server)

2 x 600Mhz P3 (Debian 2.2 (potato)) running Tomcat 4.1.12

1 x 3.2Ghz noname Win98 games machine.

1 x 1.4 AMD XPP cost it was lying around.

2 x 2 meter 19" racks , 2 x UPS units.

1 x Dual 533 G4

1 x Dual 450 G4

1 x 400Mhz G3

1 x Sun UltraEnterprise 2

3 x Sun Ultra 10

2 x Sun Ultra 5

2 x Netra T1

1 x E3000 (not currently in use as it sucks too much power).

1 x Cat 5000 with 1 x Super I mod and 3 x 24 10/100 mods.

1 x electricity billHUGE

And no, I don't have a life.

Did I mention that I like playing with unix?

Edit: I forgot to mention my Alpha 1000 and Alpha 2000 running 6.2-1H3 and 7.3.

Dobby.

What?! No 6502s in the lot?
  • Reply 37 of 50
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    GOED, you beat me to the post...
  • Reply 38 of 50
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I never considered the C64 to be up to the task and my ][europlus died years ago (pity). I do have a working Sinc. ZX81 with squishy keyboard extension.

Dobby.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    republicrepublic Posts: 168member
    Yes, and there seems to be no reason to change that. While this iBook G4 will be my primary machine, other family members can use the Hewlett-Packard and I can keep some music on it (don't expect any more Mac converts, sorry). It may or may not be replaced with a more modern Windows machine depending on how annoyed I get with it.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Oh, my. dobby!

You should really consider consolidating your PCs...

And you are running Win98 on a 3.2Ghz P4??? Are you on crack?

I find some of your clames a little far fetched...

\