Gas prices are your fault

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

My point is that there is always MORE that can be done.

Of course, but people do what they can in the way that they can. Not everyone is in a position to affect policy or sway businesses.

And consumer choice certainly does affect business. Consumer pressure causes all kinds of business to appear greener. The real problem is determining whether a company is actually making real changes or if it is simply chaning its marketing.

Finally, consumer choice certainly affect businesses and organizations because businesses and organizations are comprised of those consumers. A friend of mine who was a chemist at BP says that many people in the company are working to push it in a greener direction, including the chairman. I don't remember the details, but according to her one of the main conflicts in the merger with amoco was that the BP chairman was pushing for green concepts that amaco was not accustomed to.

One can point to many examples of organizations with employees and management pushing for greener business practices.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Gas Prices and out-of-control fuel consumption? Gee I don't know but I wonder if it has anything to do with millions of

S

U

Veez

on our streets and highways?

(See Also: Fellowship is the man.)
  • Reply 43 of 45
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I think some of you congratulate yourselves a little too much just for driving a car. Oil is used for purposes other than driving and you benefit from larger machinery even if you don't own it.

True, but most oil is used for transportation, and most of that is in the form of gasoline. Check out the DOE's numbers:

(1000's of barrels per day)

19,254: Total US petroleum consumption in 2002

13,079 (68%): For use in transportation

8665 (45%): In the form of motor gasoline

878 (4.5%): All residential use (heating, cooking, etc.)

4926 (26%): All industrial use (energy + raw materials)

Only a tiny fraction of the industrial use is for actual raw materials for manufacturing. We use the vast, vast majority of oil for energy, most of that for transportation, and most of that for automobile gas. So if we're talking about using less oil, the only reasonable place to focus out efforts is personal automobiles. Our oil consumption is remarkably democratic.

data
  • Reply 44 of 45
    podmatepodmate Posts: 183member
    I just sold my Crown Vic (14 city/ 20 highway) and bought a 91 Dodge RamCharger (9 city/ 16 highway) and I am loving it. Of course, I have to tow things occasionally. Lets see your Prius or Civic tow anything.

I love my SUV espically since I only drive 5000 miles a year.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I say tax the hell out of plastics, it's fine by me. Work on a better solution.