Safari 2.0

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    separate stop and reload is supposed to be a feature, and quite frankly i like it. Doesn't hurt to leave an option i guess.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drxcm

click the little icon to the left of the address and it selects the whole address

Thanks for the tip, great One click in the address bar would still be great though. As would the ability to overwrite the starting address when it's loading and still highlighted in the address bar
  • Reply 23 of 28
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Actually, single-click to select is the *wrong* way to go about interacting with the URL field.

The URL field is a text box, and just like *every other* text box in MacOS X, it acts the same way: One click to set the cursor, two clicks to select a word, three clicks to select the line.

I find this *MUCH* preferable to the way that many browsers and other apps work. Think about the cell formula box in Excel, or the URL field in IE... they all act differently.

The fact that people think that single-click to select is the correct way to do it is just a matter of being exposed to a faulty UI model without consistency. (And yes, we can all gripe about inconsistencies in Apple's UIs, but compared to MS's bag of random interactions, they're downright homogeneous.)
  • Reply 24 of 28
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    1. Speed across all sites, specifically IGN (as suggested by Dave K.) I think byte-order came up as an excuse, but I'm not sure.

2. Movable tabs similar to Adium. Drag them around for organization, drag them out of the current window and they create a separate window.

3. Warning when a tab-filled window is closed (Mozilla).

4. Fix the deterioration problem, so Safari doesn't create tons of threads and slows to a crawl over time.

It's a great software and I love the simplicity, but a few improvements couldn't hurt.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes those are good tab suggestions. Another thing that I just noticed while I was in Camino .8b which is yummy and so Mac like now I re-added it to my stable, is that you can move the Toolbar buttons around like most other Cocoa apps. Safari should be able to do that.

One thing that I got used to in Safari and keeps me from going back to any other browser now is the combined page Reload/Stop loading button. So brilliant yet obvious. Another is the page loading status behind the URL. Another is how pressing Command-Down goes to the bottom of a page. Small things like this keep me from using Mozilla derivatives. IE had nice touches like this too but it is simply too old. I hope they keep adding nice little subtle things like that to Safari. Things like this seem to escape Mozilla and its flock in favor of under the hood improvements. Simple things like key commands I have been waiting years for addition to Moz/Camino/FireFox. Hence Safari is the only browser in my Dock!
  • Reply 26 of 28
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Better bookmark management. When I add a new bookmark and want to file it right away, I have to scroll through every folder and subfolder in my list. It is not easy with nested folders to even tell where you are sometimes.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    arbernautarbernaut Posts: 182member
    The NUMBER ONE fix has to be the deterioration problem, as mentioned above. Safari can be reduced to a mind-numbingly slow crawl which can only be rectified by shutting down the app and booting back up again. I've lost count at the number of times I've been feverishly clicking the close button, only to have the window disappear two minutes later...!

That is unacceptably slow, and pretty piss-poor for an Apple app, especially as it's the one I use ALL the time (though I sometimes flirt with firefox, shh! Don't tell Apple, hehehe)

Beyond that, some speed increases, a couple of interface tweaks and more in-depth preferences. Ooh, and the tab suggestions above were neato as well. Good thinking, Batman.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Actually, single-click to select is the *wrong* way to go about interacting with the URL field.

The URL field is a text box, and just like *every other* text box in MacOS X, it acts the same way: One click to set the cursor, two clicks to select a word, three clicks to select the line.

I find this *MUCH* preferable to the way that many browsers and other apps work. Think about the cell formula box in Excel, or the URL field in IE... they all act differently.

The fact that people think that single-click to select is the correct way to do it is just a matter of being exposed to a faulty UI model without consistency. (And yes, we can all gripe about inconsistencies in Apple's UIs, but compared to MS's bag of random interactions, they're downright homogeneous.)

On 2nd thought I have to give you right here, at least in principal. The one-click way is just the way I work in other browsers on my Mac(s) at home and the PC at my office. Habits are hard to break. One the other hand we could talk about consistency between browsers in this respect.