Ts + New Displays

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Honestly, I'd REALLY like to know what's the hold-up. [...] This whole display thing in BUGGING me for some reason.

I still think that the new displays are designed for other things as well, not just mere monitors for the current G5s. The 30" especially would lend itself to a range of uses. And perhaps whatever that other thing is, is holding things up.

E.g. there was speculation that the 30" would make a great TV. Maybe Apple is waiting for HDTV components or HDTV support in its own applicatons?

Then there were speculations about wireless video signals. Maybe QuickTime 7 has a realtime codec that allows for video signals to stream via one or two AirPort Extreme cards? So maybe we're waiting for QuickTime 7?

And there's the rumor about Apple workstation type machines. Maybe the new displays are intended for those (certainly the 30" seems fit for a workstation). So maybe were're waiting for the introduction of those.
  • Reply 82 of 98
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Everyone seems to be demanding super bright, super fast LCDs. I suspect Apple has just been waiting for such panels to become available from the manufacturers, in all the sizes they need for a new lineup. I'll bet they're very close though. Any day now...
  • Reply 83 of 98
    sneakysneaky Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Pretty picture, but please, no more non-adjustable displays. Please please please please.

How about this?

• Reply 84 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by sneaky

How about this?

That looks nice; more like the illustrations on page one. Highly tipable though. Thanks.
  • Reply 85 of 98
    For those that want it...

• Reply 86 of 98
    Ok, I know that I'm late,

But what exactly keeps this thing from tipping over?

• Reply 87 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Transcendental Octothorpe

Ok, I know that I'm late,

But what exactly keeps this thing from tipping over?

The RDF
  • Reply 88 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

The RDF

• Reply 89 of 98
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

The RDF

RDF = Really Deep Foot

MSKR
  • Reply 90 of 98
    It looks to me like the power cord may help keep it anchored, assuming the existence of the heavy transformer mentioned. As long as you have the monitor on the correct height desk and a wall at the back to keep it from being pulled down.

On a serious note (I'm in a mood today-sorry), the rumors keep mentioning that the sceens are much lighter. I'm sure Apple has had 6-year olds poking these things in their testing ground to make sure they'll stand.
  • Reply 91 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

It looks to me like the power cord may help keep it anchored, assuming the existence of the heavy transformer mentioned. As long as you have the monitor on the correct height desk and a wall at the back to keep it from being pulled down.

On a serious note (I'm in a mood today-sorry), the rumors keep mentioning that the sceens are much lighter. I'm sure Apple has had 6-year olds poking these things in their testing ground to make sure they'll stand.

I guess that would be pretty amusing to see.

"Controler 1, Controler 1, come in Controler 1".

"Go ahead Tester 2".

"We closing phase 14 alpha 7 on all test units, I repeat we are closing phase 14 alpha 7, copy?"

"Copy that Tester 2 we are ready to move into phase 15 alpha 1 on your command"

"Roger that controler 1, on my signal introduce 3, 6 year old subjects into the test room and do not, I repeat do not introduce any candy or cookies into the testing room until you have my command copy?"

"Copy that tester 2, the 6 year olds have entered the testing room at this time, mark zero it is now 19:25"

"Controler 1 at 5 minutes after mark zero you may begin launching kiddie game software on the............"

"Break all radio com! Break all radio com on this chanell, I repeat clear the channel!, All Personell, Atention All personal we have an intruder in the facility, It appears to be a determined mac fanatic in the facility with a camera, I repeat we have unauthorized personell and equiptment in the facility headed toward display test room number 4, level 6.....Be advised....Be advised we have reports of injured security personell......Authorized Security Measures have been moved to green at this time, I repeat we are at ASM green, All security personell are now authorized to neutralize this target by any means necessary.

....I was bored...the mind wanders
  • Reply 92 of 98
    seanlseanl Posts: 39member
    Many are assuming the new displays will be aluminum so as to match the G5 towers. These two products go together so it makes sense.

What about keyboard and mouse updates? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the keyboards and mice shared across product lines like the Towers and iMacs -- so currently they are white...

Anyway, the point being, do people think this will stay the same even if the displays are updated?
  • Reply 93 of 98
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SeanL

Many are assuming the new displays will be aluminum so as to match the G5 towers. These two products go together so it makes sense.

What about keyboard and mouse updates? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the keyboards and mice shared across product lines like the Towers and iMacs -- so currently they are white...

Anyway, the point being, do people think this will stay the same even if the displays are updated?

New keyboard and mice would sure be nice for their upper-end Desktops. I can understand the white, basic, simplified devices for the eMac, but the PowerMac and other mid-range Mac sure deserve a little better. Give them a freaking 2/3 button mouse with a scroll wheel for Pete's sake so people aren't having to buy one along with their new PowerMac/iMac, and a better keyboard. Adjustable height is a must, and maybe redesigned keys with better action and feel. Both should have an aluminum look to them. Bluetooth optional, not standard. Most people don't want to buy batteries for mice and keyboards on a Desktop machine.
  • Reply 94 of 98
    stjobsstjobs Posts: 45member
    "Give them a freaking 2/3 button mouse with a scroll wheel for Pete's sake so people aren't having to buy one along with their new PowerMac/iMac, and a better keyboard."

You really think Apple would suddenly release a 2 button mouse after sticking with a single button design for the history of the Macintosh? Fat chance.
  • Reply 95 of 98
    Wouldn't it be really cool if the next generation iPod was also a mouse. If you own a new iPod you can plug it in and you have an interactive mouse with scroll wheel.
  • Reply 96 of 98
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Here is the idea with a bit more functionality

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ighlight=mouse
  • Reply 97 of 98
    seanlseanl Posts: 39member
    Old pricing on as yet unannounced new displays according to news at mac rumors...
  • Reply 98 of 98
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Here is the idea with a bit more functionality

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ighlight=mouse

Sorry.

I meant for that to 1. not be an iPod (it doesn't store any music on it - only downloads playlists and controls iTunes on remote computers via AirTunes) and 2. not be a mouse at all. Zero mouse functionality.

As fun as it is to cobble together various gadgets, the idea that iPods can be the remote or iPods can be a mouse are simply not taking into consideration real world situations.

I mean, take the iPod with you outside and suddenly your computer has no mouse or your Airport Express/stereo has no control over the music, which, in many home/dorm/roomate situations will be annoying to spouse/family/friends.

Besides, all this extra activity wears down the charge for when you do want to take your iPod outside.

Keep it pure. iPod = music player.

Remote = Playlists only

Mouse = just a mouse

Now, I did use the mouse as the basis for the graphic, just out of laziness and lack of Maya. However I envision it to actually have the screen and wheel on the backside (flat side) of the mouse, so you can just set it down on the flat side when done.