Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here

Comments

• Reply 161 of 484
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Looks straight out of an episode of Dr. Who.

ha ha.

exterminate!

Turn out the lights...

• Reply 162 of 484
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Lucida,

hm, i think i liked your first approach much better than this new one

Here there is an example of how apple could meet (and satisfy) all alu and miniPod fans.

I borrowed (hopefully not bent too much) your

image to colorize it a bit.

Well, in the meantime, i start thinking the all new iMac will

match the mini Ipod design indeed. That would make sense. Prove me wrong

best
  • Reply 163 of 484
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think if Apple was going to put a screen on a lunch box they would have done it already. No, the next iMac will look awesome, especially in comparison with the current flat panel iMac.
  • Reply 164 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I think if Apple was going to put a screen on a lunch box they would have done it already. No, the next iMac will look awesome, especially in comparison with the current flat panel iMac.

Care to share a good definition of "awesome"?
  • Reply 165 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Care to share a good definition of "awesome"?

TOTALLY RADICAL!!!
  • Reply 166 of 484
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

How about something along the lines of eXentia?

Gateway sells the exact same computer. I went to the Gateway store, before it closed, and messed around with it. I thought the computer was fantastic, the stereo speakers and sub on the back could of been better, but the bluetooth and 802.11g was great. The computer is better looking in person. I am going to see what this iMac3 has to offer, if not enough, i am going to with this elonex/gateway or the new Sony W700.
  • Reply 167 of 484
    Quote:

TOTALLY RADICAL!!!

Agreed. BUT, "TOTALLY RADICAL!!!" in form OR in function?

Concerning form: there are little form factors left to play with.

The game is not about to invent the wheel twice, it is all about

to put the given pieces altogether - in an elegant manner AND in the right timeframe. This is what apple is greatly good with. The original iMac bondi greatly succeded for that reason, the cube failed. Both of them were radically new regarding form.

Concerning function: a computer is a computer is a computer, isn't it?

All components are pretty well known. Though, there is no miracle about that

Perhaps the new iMac will be the uber widly rumored () digital

music hub. But this is definitely NOT TOTALLY RADICAL!!! It is

predictable. Recently apple tries to be a predictable company.

Which doesn't mean there is no room for radical new things to come

Don't get me wrong, i love to be surprised by awesome products especially from apple.

greetings
  • Reply 168 of 484
    The original iMac wasn't quite a new paradigm in computing; although the original Macintosh was as an all-in-one. I wouldn't mind seeing a true, honest to god all in one like that again. The iMac 2 sort of deviated from that by positioning the screen seperate from the rest of the computer. A true all in one like the original Mac and iMac 1 has a sort of 'whole-ness' that is very apealing. I'd like to see an iMac return to that, even if it means putting the motherboard flat against the screen with optical drives that can support it. We all know that hard drives have no problem functioning vertically.

I don't think the new iMac will be TATALLY RADICAL in the sense that it's so different that you'de never expect it. Rather it'll be something that'll make you think, "why didn't I(they) think of that before?".
  • Reply 169 of 484
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

The original iMac wasn't quite a new paradigm in computing; although the original Macintosh was as an all-in-one. I wouldn't mind seeing a true, honest to god all in one like that again. The iMac 2 sort of deviated from that by positioning the screen seperate from the rest of the computer. A true all in one like the original Mac and iMac 1 has a sort of 'whole-ness' that is very apealing. I'd like to see an iMac return to that, even if it means putting the motherboard flat against the screen with optical drives that can support it. We all know that hard drives have no problem functioning vertically.

I don't think the new iMac will be TATALLY RADICAL in the sense that it's so different that you'de never expect it. Rather it'll be something that'll make you think, "why didn't I(they) think of that before?".

To be honest I agree. The original iMac really had an appeal that the current one lacks. I still love the cirrent one but I think it evolved out of the segment the previous generation occupied which is sad. If the brought back jelly beans with an LCD fitted they would have more than enough room to fit a G5 and whatever else they like in it. I'd certainly buy one . I liked sage and indigo personally .
  • Reply 170 of 484
    Ok, I am a mockup virgin....

I have been saying that we need more mockups. Well, I am here to put my money where my mouth is.

Anyways, this mockup is pure speculation. It has all of the processor, RAM, AirPort Extreme, etc behind the monitor. The optical drive is in the front, the USB, Firewire, and mirroring display adapter is on the right-hand side. The modem, ethernet, and sound out/in ports are on the left hand side (not shown).

Front

Right Side

If anyone would like to make some touchups to it, please PM me.

Thanks!!
  • Reply 171 of 484
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    bite me

Lets see if anyone recognizes this bitch
  • Reply 172 of 484
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaslu81

The new iMac should have an integrated iPod dock, adjustable for regular iPods or mini's. That would fit well with the "home on the pod" rumors.

Hey, you stole that idea from me

I have been thinking that it would be great to give the new iMac a functional advantage over all other computers by having a remote control. What better remote control than an especially enhanced iPod Mini that sits in an integrated cradle on the cpu box and is always charged. That way the iPod Mini can add functionality and begin to evolve control of the digital hub away from the keyboard in more elegant ways. Also it gets more iPods out there (if enough can be built) and it gives REAL accessibility for the general public to take their "home computer" with them....harddrive and all.
  • Reply 173 of 484
    Check this out.

I call it the hinge.
  • Reply 174 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

bite me

Frog Design from a 1994 MacWorld magazine I believe...
  • Reply 175 of 484
    headyheady Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

bite me

It looks like the Mac designs MacWorld commissionned to Frog Design some years ago (somewhere around 1994-1996?). I may be confusing them with the Apple prototypes from around the same period (late Sculley or early Spindler) which MacWorld also published, but this one looks more like the Frog Design prototypes.

[Edit: Outsider beat me to it.]

-Heady
  • Reply 176 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

If the brought back jelly beans with an LCD fitted they would have more than enough room to fit a G5 and whatever else they like in it. I'd certainly buy one . I liked sage and indigo personally .

I have a Bondi iMac case that is ready for me to mod. I was thinking of a Dual G4 as soon as I can afford to buy one on ebay.
  • Reply 177 of 484
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NovaVengeance

I have a Bondi iMac case that is ready for me to mod. I was thinking of a Dual G4 as soon as I can afford to buy one on ebay.

I'm serious. That size/shape machine modified for the old 17" studio display to squeeze in front with more horsepower hiding inside would be compelling to me. Maintain it as close to jellybean as the original and I'm there.
  • Reply 178 of 484
    Quote:

Check this out.

I call it the hinge.

You stole my idea... You bastard!

Nice one Outsider....a much better rendering than my hack-job!

My link reposted.
  • Reply 179 of 484
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    yup... MacWorld commissioned Frog Design

You get a free lollipop
  • Reply 180 of 484
    Quote:

Check this out.

I call it the hinge.

nice touch. It is appealing, though, but - for me - clearly too much "form over function". Perhaps i didn't get the hinge

btw, why haven't you referred to the "low cost cube" yet? This is more compelling IMHO

best