Doom3 to run on new iMac?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 247
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

It's necessary to run the 30 Cinema display. You'll be gaming on that card forever, and if that 30" display is yours you are one stylin mofo.

Now seriously, would it be possible to play games like Doom3, or any other game, in the native resolution of a 30" Cinema display? Lowering the resolution? Of course, but we have not idea how bad a game will look on such a huge display at lower resolutions.
  • Reply 22 of 247
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I don't thnk so, well Doom 3 running on a 6800 Ultra can be played at 1600x1200 no problem, but 2560x1600, I imagine that's a whole different story. Would be interesting to see if it could, how many more pixels would Doom3 be using at the 30"s higest res than it would at 1600x1200?
  • Reply 23 of 247
    Quote:

The makers of DOOM3 are recommending the Geforce FX 6800 Ultra, and giving it top honors. Benchmarks

Interesting how there's little difference between the 8X AGP and PCIe on the benchmarks.
  • Reply 24 of 247
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zpapasmurf

This game requires a VERY high end video card... something I dont see Apple putting in the next gen imac.

well, true...
  • Reply 25 of 247
    spytapspytap Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spytap

Well, my gaming rig is a P4 2.0GHz, a gig of RAM, and a Radeon 9700 Pro; not the least powerful, but a damn fine machine if I do say so myself.

Anyway, Doom 3 runs okay at 800x600 on high or 1024x768 on medium. Not wonderfully, but a pretty steady 30fps normally, stuttering to arouns 10fps in a firefight or when a lot is happening.

Scratch that, I just did a few optimizations (the unrar trick for uncompressing all the files, and the increase of the cache from 36 to 2000), and now I can play it at 1024/768 at ultra settings with a fairly steady 40fps.
  • Reply 26 of 247
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

The thing that I think is interesting is that DOOM 3 is being ported to Linux before they start the Mac version.

Huh? The three versions was developed simultaneously AFAIK.
  • Reply 27 of 247
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Huh? The three versions was developed simultaneously AFAIK.

Quote:

Name: Todd Hollenshead

Email: xxxxxxxxxxx

Description: CEO

Project:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7-14-2004 10:19 PM CDT

A few bottles of champagne later (so excuse the typos)....

First of all, thank you to everyone who sent congratulatory notes on the GOLD announcement. I speak for

everyone at id when I say I wish I could respond to everyone personally, but hopefully this general note

can convey how much we sincerely appreciate the sentiment from everyone out there waiting for the game.

A few people have reminded me of some details omitted from my initial update:

Mac and Linux: Unfortunately I don't have dates for either of these. However, Linux binaries will be

available very soon after the PC game hits store shelves. There are no plans for boxed Linux games.

More remains to be done for the OSX version of DOOM 3 and that will take some time. We won't release

the OSX version until it's just as polished as the PC version. The date for OSX DOOM 3 remains "when it's

done", but I can confirm that it's definitely coming.

Demo: our priority was finishing the game first and now we are turning our attention to the demo. I

don't have any information to share regarding any specific content, but I don't believe that we have

ever disappointed in that regard in the past. We will release the demo as soon as it's done, but this

probably won't happen until after the game has arrived on U.S. store shelves.

Last, but not least, the id Store: we will have copies of DOOM 3 available, but only after we get them.

I'm sure that some of the hardcore game retailers will get them even before we do. Check our website for

updates on this. We certainly appreciate everyone who has helped to make the id Store a huge success this

year. By the way, more DOOM 3 T-Shirts just arrived, so those popular items are back in stock and will be

available this week.

I understand that people have lots and lots of questions. We're working on pulling together some form of

an official FAQ, but even though we're done we still have several responsibilities that are urgent as the

game heads for retail. Please bear with us on this.

I know I owe you those preparation tips, but they will have to wait until tomorrow.

7-14-2004 11:52 AM CDT

Linux binaries, and a PC Demo are coming before the Mac version at least. We'll see.
  • Reply 28 of 247
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Linux binaries, and a PC Demo are coming before the Mac version at least. We'll see.

Yep, but that doesn't mean that they haven't started working on the Mac version.
  • Reply 29 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Yep, but that doesn't mean that they haven't started working on the Mac version.

BUt what ever they may have started is being pushed back until the Linux binaries, and PC Demo are done anyway.
  • Reply 30 of 247
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

BUt what ever they may have started is being pushed back until the Linux binaries, and PC Demo are done anyway.

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in the update (blame the champagne?) but the XBox version is due out soon, and they still had finishing touches to do on that.
  • Reply 31 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in the update (blame the champagne?) but the XBox version is due out soon, and they still had finishing touches to do on that.

That's right. The XBOX version was coming before Linux I think.
  • Reply 32 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

A buddy of mine has a 2.5 ghz computer (windows) with 512 megs of ram and an n'videa 5200 128mb(overclocked) and he can only play doom3 ar 800x600 with the graphics set at the second to top setting. so unless the ID guys do something insane with open GL that they just could not do with DX9, you will need a top-end PM and a 6800 to enjoy it properly.

That's because the 5200 blows chunks. It's probably the worst card that you can have that supports Doom 3.

I'll be playing it on my 2x2G5 with a 6800 soon. At 16x12. At high quality.
  • Reply 33 of 247
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zpapasmurf

I would be suprised if the new iMac could run Doom III at an acceptable framerate and resolution....

Im running a PC... Athlon Xp 2400+ (2.0 ghz) 512 mb Ram, Radeon 9800 Pro (128mb)....

I run Doom III @ 1280x1024 @ around 30fps...

I have a friend who has a Pentium 4 2.66ghz, 512mb ram and a 9600 Pro... he has a hard time running it @ 800x600 with lowest quality graphics on.

This game requires a VERY high end video card... something I dont see Apple putting in the next gen imac.

The HardOCP article disagrees with you. They got it running well enough on a RADEON 9600, which is hardly the latest and greatest. Obviously, a top-end video card will be better, but the minimum requirement appears to be fairly reasonable. This is really not surprising; id would actually like you to be able to buy and play their game, after all.

It depends on what you consider "acceptable" in terms of enabled features.

If any part of your or your friend's setup is overclocked (particularly the GPU) that can ruin DOOM3's performance. Any kind of full-screen AA is a framerate killer, according to HardOCP's benchmarking.

Anyway, I linked to the article in my post above. Check it out. I can't really test it on my machine because I know there isn't a chance in Hell it'll run well on that old stalwart.
  • Reply 34 of 247
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

You'll be gaming on that card forever, and if that 30" display is yours you are one stylin mofo.

Yeah, you'll be set for a while with a 6800.
  • Reply 35 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

A buddy of mine has a 2.5 ghz computer (windows) with 512 megs of ram and an n'videa 5200 128mb(overclocked) and he can only play doom3 ar 800x600 with the graphics set at the second to top setting. so unless the ID guys do something insane with open GL that they just could not do with DX9, you will need a top-end PM and a 6800 to enjoy it properly.

Ive got a 3.06GHz HT P4, 1GB ram, 128MB 9600SE and out of the box Doom3 runs unacceptable on the lowest setting, after updating the video drivers, and applying a 3rd party patch it runs OK on the 2nd to lowest setting(800x600). But then again, after installing that 3rd party patch, it randomly freezes
  • Reply 36 of 247
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Rumor has it that a port for Doom II is in the works and the specs on the new iMac will just be enough to run it.

Hmmm...you meant Doom II, right? Not D3?

I'm guessing you intended to be sarcastic, but c'mon, the iMac G4s can obviously play far more demanding games than Doom II, and right now absolutely no one knows how a G5 will deal with D3.

Who's to say D3 won't run on a iMac 3?
  • Reply 37 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by jouster

Hmmm...you meant Doom II, right? Not D3?

I'm guessing you intended to be sarcastic, but c'mon, the iMac G4s can obviously play far more demanding games than Doom II, and right now absolutely no one knows how a G5 will deal with D3.

Who's to say D3 won't run on a iMac 3?

It's not the G5 that can not handle DOOM3. It's the Video card that is the main concern.
  • Reply 38 of 247
    Quote:

It's not the G5 that can not handle DOOM3. It's the Video card that is the main concern.

Well, as I said no one (except perhaps Mr. Carmack and a few others) has any idea of how a G5 will handle D3.

But I take your point re the GPU.

I guess we can only hope that the fruit company FINALLY realizes how much damage the non upgradeable iMacs are doing to their reputation and sales.
  • Reply 39 of 247
    Quote:

Originally posted by jouster

Well, as I said no one (except perhaps Mr. Carmack and a few others) has any idea of how a G5 will handle D3.

But I take your point re the GPU.

I guess we can only hope that the fruit company FINALLY realizes how much damage the non upgradeable iMacs are doing to their reputation and sales.

Why is that? They always sell like crazy, and will again soon. If you have not noticed the iMac has sold out before it's time had come to pass.
  • Reply 40 of 247
    Quote:

Why is that? They always sell like crazy, and will again soon. If you have not noticed the iMac has sold out before it's time had come to pass.

Huh? They always sell like crazy *for a couple months* or so.

The iMac 2 has indeed sold out - because they have stopped making it! Its sales were lousy - 60,000 - last quarter.