USA at the Olympics

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I enjoy the olympics somewhat (IMO some "sports" are just really stupid, but others are really cool), But it seems at least for now that the United States (excluding swimming) is not doing to well. what do you guys think, i mean can't we field a better team?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xterra48

I enjoy the olympics somewhat (IMO some "sports" are just really stupid, but others are really cool), But it seems at least for now that the United States (excluding swimming) is not doing to well. what do you guys think, i mean can't we field a better team?

no. americans have too big of egos and the gov't doesn't care
  • Reply 2 of 66
    Well the USA Basketball team of hotshots and individual (NOT Team) "superstars" who get paid millions to play the game just got their asses handed to them by Puerto Rico by 19 points...good thing too...maybe this will teach these kids a little something.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Nah, the olympics is just a place where the rest of the world can pretend that they are better than Americans at something, when really we don't care all that much about the games. We are there for marketing purposes, and not to win a damn thing. Sad really!

\
  • Reply 4 of 66
    Here's a great article about the "Dream Team"...

Linky Linky
  • Reply 5 of 66
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    As far as basketball is concerned, it would be very easy for america to dominate the thing entirely. But the team that was picked is a bunch of lazy streetballers plus Duncan and Iverson. The NBA has gone downhill, with many of the big-name technical players being international.

Honestly, the Uconn team could have probably beat Puerto Rico.

As far as the other sports I've seen, USA is doing fairly well. We always do pretty well in Track and Field, which I haven't seen yet.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    As a 19 year old(ala right in the heart of the key demo), I HATE THE OLYMPICS, it is all about who bribes whom the best, and it serves as a test bed for new drugs and every participant is a f@#$ing pro, sorry, any credibility the olympics may have had for my parents is lost on me, it is a celebration of greed, these people make money off of money hungery NBA guys and bulimic 16 year old gymnists, and if you can't beat your competition, just hire a hit man with a crow bar to the knee.

That said, give me one good reason to turn away from my NFL countdown to give a rats ass about the Olympic "Games", please.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I don't know, the women's softball team is kicking ass.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    the olympics are popular with the locals...

very popular
  • Reply 9 of 66
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    you 19 year olds are very cynical.

Yes, you will grow out of it, and will stop devoting so much mental effort in badmouthing things that really aren't conspiracies.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

you 19 year olds are very cynical.

Yes, you will grow out of it, and will stop devoting so much mental effort in badmouthing things that really aren't conspiracies.

I am not saying it is a conspiracy, but I have heard for the past few weeks that this thing was so big, and look at the fans filling the statium, picture above, and all of the news reports, money this and drugs that, I am just saying what I am seeing.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I am not saying it is a conspiracy...I am just saying what I am seeing.

You're obviously not looking very hard.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Quote:

I am not saying it is a conspiracy, but I have heard for the past few weeks that this thing was so big, and look at the fans filling the statium, picture above, and all of the news reports, money this and drugs that, I am just saying what I am seeing.

We'll have to see about the attendance situation. From what I've heard on T.V., Sunday was a Greek Orthodox holiday. Plus, a lot of Greeks take the month of August off.

But the images of all the empty seats are depressing.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    dude1dude1 Posts: 13member
    Yeah, its depressing not seeing people at the olypics...what has this world come to?
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Quote:

wow. you're sounding like a raving fool.

that picture is likely from some qualifying soccer match between two unpopular nations or something.

the rest of your dribble is just that.

enjoy the NFL...cuz that's a quality sport
  • Reply 15 of 66
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    For many athlets, the olympic games are the goal of their life. They dedicated all their time for it : time, way of living (food, recreation ...). Some are ready to cheat to achieve their goal, but it would be absurb to think that every athlets winnng a medal are doing this. I will also add, that I knew many people who cheated (takings drugs) in order to succeed their exams, and no one blame them.

I have great respect for such people, who give the full of them for such an event. Olympics games are great, even if it turned into an huge showbizz. The spirit is still there.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Back on topic...

I watched some more, US gymnastics, both were supposed to be great, but both doing poorly in prelims

besides phelps we have little to show in the pool mens or womens.

looking good on the 8 man rowing, both men and women.

and beach vollyball looks like a gold.

But this might one of the all time olympic low gold takes by America.

If only we had gotten 20 instead of 21 B-2 bombers, we could invest part of that extra 2.2 billion into our olympic effort.(the rest could save social security, or at least help)

I don't think we are going to improove in track and field those usally go to africa. I hope this poor performance shakes things up for a better team in 2008.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by xterra48

Back on topic...

I watched some more, US gymnastics, both were supposed to be great, but both doing poorly in prelims

besides phelps we have little to show in the pool mens or womens.

looking good on the 8 man rowing, both men and women.

and beach vollyball looks like a gold.

But this might one of the all time olympic low gold takes by America.

If only we had gotten 20 instead of 21 B-2 bombers, we could invest part of that extra 2.2 billion into our olympic effort.(the rest could save social security, or at least help)

I don't think we are going to improove in track and field those usally go to africa. I hope this poor performance shakes things up for a better team in 2008.

um.... what are you talking about?

as of last night the US was tied for total medals with 8 with China and Australia. They only had one gold buy China and Australia only have 5 and 4 respectively. It's only the third day of competition. How can you possibly make the claims you are making?

The US gymnastics men's team has the first chance to win since the 1930s.

In swimming we have Natalie Coughlin who will win severel medals alone and is all but guaranteed gold in any backstroke event.

The eights did well in the heats but I doubt they'll fair too well in the grand finals. US rowing is just weaker

Track and field is a very strong area for the US. Just because african americans perform well doesn't mean "africa" usually wins.

again....3 days of events....
  • Reply 18 of 66
    I think he means that african nations do extremely well in the middle to long distance running events. Given that they have a genetic disposition for the perfect runner's build, and that they are engaged in high-altitude training for most of their lives, there are lots of amazing african runners.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I think he means that african nations do extremely well in the middle to long distance running events. Given that they have a genetic disposition for the perfect runner's build, and that they are engaged in high-altitude training for most of their lives, there are lots of amazing african runners.

yes.... but they hardly dominate track and field in generally. the US traditionally does quite well.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    US is up to 18 total medals.

6 GOLD

6 SILVER

6 BRONZE