HP iPod: white and silver, extra features?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Contrary to popular belief and original demonstrations of the player earlier this year, the Hewlett-Packard iPod will debut in attire very similar to Apple's version of the player.

According to Hewlett-Packard's shopping website, the HP iPod will sport a white and silver enclosure rather than the blue skin demoed by the computer maker earlier this year.

An article write-up in today's Wall Street Journal also claims that HP's iPod will include "different hardware features" to further distinguish it, although no details were provided.

HP has already begun to take pre-orders for the digital music players on HPShopping.com, selling 20GB and 40GB versions for US$299.99 and $399.99 respectively, the same price as Apple. The company also said the iPod would be available at Circuit City, CompUSA, Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, Radio Shack, Fry's, Amazon.com and Costco.

HP will debut a new advertising campaign to launch the music player during the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday, Aug. 29. The campaign will feature ads directed by Music video producer Paul Hunter, the company said.

Hewlett-Packard and Apple first announced plans to ship an HP version of the iPod back in January. HP is expected to officially introduce the new players during a press event at 10:00 AM Eastern Time today.

Meanwhile, at least one analyst expects HP's version of the iPod to "outsell Apple's version relatively quickly" due to the company's "broad distribution at electronics retailers."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Well, since appleinsider is a bit LATE on this, you are all welcome in my already existing thread.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Outsell Apple's own iPods? Can they even MAKE that many?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Outsell Apple's own iPods? Can they even MAKE that many?

Only the iPod mini is constrained. There are more than enough HDs for the full size (like it's so frickin' big) iPod.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Meanwhile, at least one analyst expects HP's version of the iPod to "outsell Apple's version relatively quickly" due to the company's "broad distribution at electronics retailers."
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

If this happens, say bye bye to the iPod in the future. One years time, HP releases their own music player, and it will continue to outsell the iPod due to existing mind share. Here's hoping the hPod is a "modest" success
  • Reply 5 of 21
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mortigi tempo

If this happens, say bye bye to the iPod in the future. One years time, HP releases their own music player, and it will continue to outsell the iPod due to existing mind share. Here's hoping the hPod is a "modest" success

But on the other hand, if it proves to be a huge success, hPod customers would be tied to AAC and iTunes; a non iPod device would be simply ignored by the growing user base. I thing HP is in it for the long run and hope others join soon. I am glad to see Apple and its logo along the HP iPod anouncement. Much better than just a re-branded version. Kudos to Jobs and Fiorina.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    HP cannot outsell Apple when it comes to the iPod. Every iPod shipped to Apple will be counted as a "sale" the day it is shipped and HP will have to wait until THEY ship the iPod before they can count it as a sale.

All of HP's version will therefore be Apple "sales" plus Apple is retaining all other distribution channels (including the Apple Store) which makes it impossible for HP to outsell Apple.

As for "different hardware features" it is very possible that HP will have worked with Apple to include the ability to sync some small HP app, like contacts or a calendar. No big deal there - just makes the HP version look good to HP computer users and sells more iPods - increasing Apple's profits.

There have been rumors of other potential features on the new iPod, but no one will get those before Apple customers. Probably just waiting until Apple's programmers can ensure that Harmony is screwed.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

HP cannot outsell Apple when it comes to the iPod. Every iPod shipped to Apple will be counted as a "sale" the day it is shipped and HP will have to wait until THEY ship the iPod before they can count it as a sale.

All of HP's version will therefore be Apple "sales" plus Apple is retaining all other distribution channels (including the Apple Store) which makes it impossible for HP to outsell Apple.

As for "different hardware features" it is very possible that HP will have worked with Apple to include the ability to sync some small HP app, like contacts or a calendar. No big deal there - just makes the HP version look good to HP computer users and sells more iPods - increasing Apple's profits.

There have been rumors of other potential features on the new iPod, but no one will get those before Apple customers. Probably just waiting until Apple's programmers can ensure that Harmony is screwed.

FWIW: I received a tip from an anonymous source this afternoon stating that the WSJ report is inaccurate as far as the additional HW features are concerned.

Kasper
  • Reply 8 of 21
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Can we rename the hpod to the uglypod?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

Can we rename the hpod to the uglypod?

My eyes!!!
  • Reply 10 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpcMs

My eyes!!!

Unbelievable.

They can't even come up with an MP3 player as good-looking as the iPod if they start with an iPod.

• Reply 11 of 21
    republicrepublic Posts: 168member
    Isn't that just an optional "tattoo"? Other pictures at HP show only the familiar white-and-gray iPod, so they don't seem to be messing with what some would call perfection. That said, the idea appears quite gaudy.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    "My eyes!!!"

Lemon Bon Bon

• Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Republic

Isn't that just an optional "tattoo"? Other pictures at HP show only the familiar white-and-gray iPod, so they don't seem to be messing with what some would call perfection. That said, the idea appears quite gaudy.

Yes they are optional tattoos. You can get them in colored designs or album covers.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    If you read HP's press release, the optional printable "tattoos" will be available in September for both the Apple iPod from HP and the 4th Gen. Apple iPod (clickable wheel).
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Yes they are optional tattoos. You can get them in colored designs or album covers.

Ohhhhhh, yeah. I'm really jonesing for the Ashlee Simpson cover.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Although, admittedly, *some* of the iPod+hp skins are ugly, some aren't that bad, and it appears HP will introduce blank (printable) skins also, so those who object can roll their own.

I think it's actually not a bad way for HP to be able to differentiate the product without permanently uglifying it. If one doesn't like the concept of a skin, one need not apply it, or one could easily remove it.

What would really be a cool promotion would be if Apple would offer a free skin by mail with purchase of select / featured albums on iTMS. I think people would go for that, and the skin could more than likely be produced and shipped very cheaply; possibly even done at the expense of the label as a "promo" item.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I wonder what these "additional features" are. If one of them is high-quality audio recording and a microphone port (please?), the hPod's sales will make the iPod look like chopped liver.

Fortunately, Apple will still make money off the licensing fees...
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

I wonder what these "additional features" are. If one of them is high-quality audio recording and a microphone port (please?), the hPod's sales will make the iPod look like chopped liver.

Fortunately, Apple will still make money off the licensing fees...

I don't think we have to worry about the hPod's sales here. By all accounts, the hPod and the iPod are one in the same with the exception of the etching on the back and, perhaps (my speculation here), a start-up screen logo. Therefore, the "additional features" (pace Kasper and his recent post) run across both lines.

Anyway, this same "hidden feature" announcement was made in Time in their "Gadget of the Week" article some weeks ago.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Remember if the thing does outsell apple, I dont see apple pulling back, look at Buick and Cadilac, they coexist nicely, and at the end of the day, GM makes money.

Be it apple or HP, Apple still gets a cut of the action.

And any use of the ipod technology in a non-ipod device (say clickwheel ipaq), well apple gets a cut of that too
  • Reply 20 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That tattoo thing is actually cool. Now there's something I didn't think of wrt to the iPaq. hehe I still like that. That most shameless of shameless ripoffs. The iPaq. That would be fitting.

I like this new Apple, that licenses.