Notes: New Tiger builds, iPod radio, Apple iDrive, more

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
New Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger builds

New information on Tiger revisions is expected over the next week as the development team surpasses the 70th build of the '8A2' milestone. A final report on builds of Tiger from the 8A25x range will be published this evening.

iPod to gain radio capabilities?

Tipsters note that Apple's iPod division is looking for an RF hardware engineer with knowledge of EM fields and antennas for radio, communication circuits, and an interest in physical principles utilized in modern radio communication devices. Apple is reportedly offering additional consideration to applicants experienced with standard wireless protocols.

Apple flavored BMW iDrive?

Auto enthusiast web site Auto Spies has published an article containing an unconfirmed rumor that Apple is aiding BMW in a redesign of its iDrive for the next BMW 7-series. Introduced by BMW in 2001, the iDrive is a combined pioneering driver information/entertainment system, but has been met by a severe lack of customer satisfaction. If you have any further details on subject, please let us know.

iPod remains an outsider in China

According to China?s government-sponsored research, the demand for MP3 players in China is projected to reach about 3.858 million units in 2004, and 18 million units by 2008. So how much of the pie is Apple snagging? Not much according to the report, which does not list the iPod maker in the top-five vendors in the China MP3-player market. Data from the first half of the year shows HuaQi Information Technology (aigo-branded) with 25% market share, followed by Samsung Electronics, Lenovo, Zarva and Vintion Electronic.

Q4 results and webcast

Apple will webcast its Q4 2004 financial results conference call at 2pm PT/5pm ET on Wednesday, October 13, 2004. To listen in on the conference call, you will need a recent version of QuickTime. Apple will release results from its fiscal fourth quarter just prior to the call.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    ...ooohhh I want more Tiger news ::drool:: GRRRRRRRRR

As a side note, I can't help but find it funny how fast people rip things off from appleinsider. I submitted the tip about the iPod radio over a day ago and it was just posted on AI today. not more than 30 minutes later mac minute had ripped the AI blurb into their own and took credit. they did the same thing when i submitted the wifi and video ipod jobs. very unprofessional, as i doubt it was a coincidence

is there any way to find out if BMW and apple are really teaming on the i-drive? everyone hates the i-drive right now, if apple isnt helping, i hope someone else with some else is because they've done a subpar job on their own.

gt
  • Reply 2 of 18
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I would love to see a radio in the iPod. I would just hope if they do it, that they include the AM band as well. That way I could hear sports and talk shows. FM isn't that important to me. Already have music on my iPod.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    If Apple decides to incorporate radio into the iPod, I'd like to see it be satellite radio. Can you imagine riding the bus with your iPod trying to hold it up to the window in order to get good reception? Bad idea. Satellite radio would negate those issues and give it that extra "cool" factor.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I thought most of these portable radios use the headphone cable as the antenna.

-- Bozonator
  • Reply 5 of 18
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

If Apple decides to incorporate radio into the iPod, I'd like to see it be satellite radio. Can you imagine riding the bus with your iPod trying to hold it up to the window in order to get good reception? Bad idea. Satellite radio would negate those issues and give it that extra "cool" factor.

EXACTLY! I totally think this is the way Apple should go. Make it XM radio capable! That would be freakin sweet. Took my thought right out of my head!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

With Satellite radio you have to have a view of the sky. So this would mean you could only use it outside or by a window vs. AM/FM where you could be inside.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 7 of 18
    republicrepublic Posts: 168member
    Surprising if true. I thought Delphi was making speaker docks for XM devices, with the intention of using it indoors?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Republic

Surprising if true. I thought Delphi was making speaker docks for XM devices, with the intention of using it indoors?

You have to have an antenna that can see outside. I have one and it is annoying because mine is in my window and when the sun hits it the glare blocks the signal.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 9 of 18
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Apple helping BMW... thank goodness. Maybe Apple can lend them Ive for a few months, but whatever they do, keep Bungle away from their industrial design dept...
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Yes, there are a lot of people buying mp3 players in China.

No, there aren't many buying iPods.

The reason for this? I would guess that most people just don't know about it.

Even in Shenzhen, where heaps of the things are made, I only found a couple of iPods, in one store among hundreds and hundreds.

And macintosh computers...?

(I think mini iPods would go down a treat in China.)

Mendosi
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Apple needs to pull its finger out in China.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Apple needs to pull its finger out in China.

Lemon Bon Bon

Does anyone in North America know this expression? I had never heard of it before moving to the UK.

I've always wondered: what exactly are you meant to be pulling your finger out of?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

Does anyone in North America know this expression? I had never heard of it before moving to the UK.

I've always wondered: what exactly are you meant to be pulling your finger out of?

Ones rectum.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

Ones rectum.

I was afraid of that...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by marzetta7

EXACTLY! I totally think this is the way Apple should go. Make it XM radio capable! That would be freakin sweet. Took my thought right out of my head!

NOOOOOOOOO Sirius would be better by far...NFL ON THE IPOD BABY...GO PACKERS!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    I have always had to fumble between my litle calling-card-size SONY FM/AM radio (antenna is the earphone cord) and my iPod when wanting to follow sports, listen to Air America, find out what part of Manhattan or Tokyo was totally shut down by traffic, or other essentials. The size reductions are already available in the IC-F620R.

These are not out in the US, to my knowledge, but are available readily in Japan and at the Narita airport technology store in several flavors. The one mentioned above, ideal for slipping into the iPod world, are not cheap, selling for about ¥5500 yen or $50. Don't buy the stereo one, though, that has a detachable cord (no auto rewind), and as was said above, we've already got all the great sound we want on our iPods.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I think it's more likely that Apple will try to integrate some sort of AirPort functionality into the iPod.

Imagine being able to use AirTunes & AirPort Express from the iPod sitting in your lap. It would be like the iPod was a remote control for a HiFi that didn't physically exist.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

NOOOOOOOOO Sirius would be better by far...NFL ON THE IPOD BABY...GO PACKERS!

I have a friend who has XM and he said that Sirius is way better for NFL stuff on the radio.

As far as the Packers, it does not look good. I've never seen fans departing or booing as loudly as they did Monday night! Green Bay is a town in shock and anger at the moment....soon to be the next Philadelphia???