Recs on Where to Buy Memory

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I buy all my ram from newegg.com..... they have awesome return policies and are usually cheapest around for quality ram...

I recommend Crucial over any other brand.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

I buy all my ram from newegg.com..... they have awesome return policies and are usually cheapest around for quality ram...

I recommend Crucial over any other brand.

I would prefer using Crucial but their PC100 is much higher than anywhere else
  • Reply 23 of 40
    OK, I finally made up my mind.

I decided to order from Other World Computing. I rechecked Bizrate.com and those negative reviews i had read turned out to be only 2% of the total reviews. What a bonehead I am.

OWC is actually highly rated, their web site is professional, they give full specs on their RAM, and have a lifetime warranty.

I paid $95 which includes second day UPS shipping for PC100 512MB CL2.

I will let you all know how it works out after I install it.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Jesus!!! That's nuts charging that much for ram that is 3+ years old...

I take it you never went to dealram.com
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

About 8 years ago, I worked on a lawsuit where I learned the ins and outs of memory specifications and why OEM branded server RAM was at the time many times (>3x) the price of generic RAM of supposedly the same specification. I have also read the postings on Macintouch and MacFixIt about the increasing pickiness of current Macs with respect to close-to-the-edge memory. I've finally learned that my time is money and I just don't have time trying to troubleshoot intermittent crashes due to sub-par components. For me, it's the TechWorks branded RAM from OWC every time. I've never had a problem and hope never to in the future (note that TechWorks through OWC is substantially cheaper than TechWorks through their own web site).

FWIW, I wouldn't buy OWC generic RAM. I learned a little too much about how close to the edge some generic manufacturers play with their specs. It may be just fine, but the price delta from TechWorks is sufficiently small that it isn't worth it to me.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

The cheapest price on dealram is $82. I paid $95 from a site that specializes in Macs and has tested their RAM on all firmware updates. The $82 site doesnt mention any firmware update and doesnt give all the specs of the RAM.

OWC states all-guaranteed to work with all firmware updates, the memory is CL2, etcetc. Lifetime warranty. I think I did OK on the price for second day shipping and all from a site with a good rep
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Osakans

About 8 years ago, I worked on a lawsuit where I learned the ins and outs of memory specifications and why OEM branded server RAM was at the time many times (>3x) the price of generic RAM of supposedly the same specification. I have also read the postings on Macintouch and MacFixIt about the increasing pickiness of current Macs with respect to close-to-the-edge memory. I've finally learned that my time is money and I just don't have time trying to troubleshoot intermittent crashes due to sub-par components. For me, it's the TechWorks branded RAM from OWC every time. I've never had a problem and hope never to in the future (note that TechWorks through OWC is substantially cheaper than TechWorks through their own web site).

FWIW, I wouldn't buy OWC generic RAM. I learned a little too much about how close to the edge some generic manufacturers play with their specs. It may be just fine, but the price delta from TechWorks is sufficiently small that it isn't worth it to me.

I'm afraid the RAM I bought from OWC is generic. I used the memory finder and I only had one choice for the PC100 512Mb. I am almost positive it is generic. Hope I didnt make a mistake but there is a lifetime warranty.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    I have purchased ram from OWC 2 times... before I started building computers. Great company... just don't like buying anything other then crucial cause of all of the problems I have seen and had with generic and off brand ram. I'm sure it will work just fine for ya.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

I have purchased ram from OWC 2 times... before I started building computers. Great company... just don't like buying anything other then crucial cause of all of the problems I have seen and had with generic and off brand ram. I'm sure it will work just fine for ya.

I hope so! I just emailed OWC and told them if my order hadnt shipped yet that I would like to switch to the Techworks brand. Its actually only $16 more but I didnt even realize they sold it because their memory finder only lists their generic RAM. I think its already shipped out though.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    OWC said my order had already shipped but they would exchange the generic RAM Im getting for the Techworks brand. I guess I will have to pay to ship it back but hopefully they wont charge me again to ship the Techworks chip.

I'll find out tomorrow.

Their customer service so far gets high marks. Quick email replies.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    OK, I remember way back when I was putting RAM into a Pismo getting CL2 becuase it was marginally faster -- and yes, all of the RAM was CL2.

Is this still true? Anyone think CL2 over CL3 makes a real-world difference for them?

[In my case the RAM would be going into a new G5, if it ever arrives] TIA
  • Reply 32 of 40
    OK, I received the generic RAM today and installed it after a customer service rep at OWC convinced me that the generic is just as good as Techworks and that they have a 30 day return policy if i dont like it. I still give them top marks for friendly customer service. It was supposed to be PC100 512Mb CL2.

The RAM says it is PC133 on it and the rep said that they dont make PC100 anymore but do something to the PC133 to make the computer recognize it as PC100. I still think they should have advertised it as PC133 though, but thats not important.

After installing it I went to the system profiler and the chip is recognized as PC100, however the profiler says it is CL3 and not CL2 that was advertised! That I dont like.

I emailed them and will get a response soon. I am expecting them to ship out a new chip before making me return this chip because i cant run my computer on 64Mb RAM.

The other thing is that I was expecting a little speed boost by going from 320Mb RAM to 576Mb, but I notice no boost at all. Maybe I will notice it after being online a few hours and opening tons of windows,etc.

Lets see what happens next.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    I dont know what the hell is happening, but I just returned generic RAM to OWC because they claimed it was CL2 and my iMac G3400DV recognized it as CL3.

I then ordered a PC133 512Mb CL2 from Crucial and I installed it and my iMac is also recognizing it as CL3!

What is going on here? My originial PC100 64Mb from Crucial is still being recognized as CL2 and always has.

Is there some issue with 512Mb RAM and this computer?

Have any of the latest software updates been problematic?

I am running the latest version of Panther with all updates installed.

This is very frustrating
  • Reply 34 of 40
    if it is CAS 2.5 it rounds up. Could be 2.5.... a lot of crucial is.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:

if it is CAS 2.5 it rounds up. Could be 2.5.... a lot of crucial is.

But why would they call it CL2? They also had a PC133 512Mb chip rated as CL3.

I checked the label on the RAM and it said CL2. So did the generic RAM from OWC
  • Reply 36 of 40
    So who makes the RAM used in the iMac G5? Micron, Samsung, Hitachi, etc? Does Apple use a single supplier for each model or multiple suppliers?
  • Reply 37 of 40
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Apple uses multiple suppliers including Hynix, Samsung, Infineon and Micron.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Timo

Anyone think CL2 over CL3 makes a real-world difference for them?

No real difference at all - maybe only in benchmarks, if that.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Crucial all the way. With the exception of the free 512MB Apple gave me, the other 3GB is crucial and I've had no problems at all. Good service too.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by UnixMac

Crucial all the way. With the exception of the free 512MB Apple gave me, the other 3GB is crucial and I've had no problems at all. Good service too.

I agree. I just wish I knew why my iMac wont see the RAM as CL2