New Apple eMac in the works

Comments

• Reply 21 of 174
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a high end G4 in an eMac run almost as fast as a low end G5? Not only that, but wouldn't the power consumption also be lower, thus needing less fans, paving the way for a simpler design? Maybe: simpler design -> cheaper?

I dunno. My 2 cents.
  • Reply 22 of 174
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Liono

Anybody remember this ?

That's pretty cool. Remember the last CRT Professional Monitors apple made? The transparent carbon ones? Not the translucent ones. They were completely clear. Could you imagine an eMac with that plastic and the chameleon effect?! THAT WOULD BE SO RAD!!!!!! So awesome for trippers like myself
  • Reply 23 of 174
    Surely an LCD would make sense for an educational computer. Don't they have lower power demand than a CRT? That would equate to lower running costs which has to be a big issue.
  • Reply 24 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

What about the current iMac form factor but with a G4?

Won't happen. Think more about iPod form factor and headless G5,

but i assume that - although quite possible and probably under development - would hurt current iMac sales.

best
  • Reply 25 of 174
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Where has all this talk of a headless Mac come from? The article clearly states slight external revisions:

"This product, according to sources, has been under development at Apple for nearly 10 months and features slight external and major internal modifications to one of the company's current offerings."
  • Reply 26 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Given the simple fact that the eMac (and the iMac) DO NOT have AGP *or* PCI slots one could hardly expect a headless eMac or a headless iMac to have them.

Damned.. How do you think the eMac shows something on screen? Of course it has a slot for a video-card! And its actually an AGP slot.

Quote:

ATI Radeon 9200 graphics processor with AGP 4X support

Quote:

Originally posted by MacMatt

The new eMac will NOT be a headless unit! Get over it!

But mom... I really want it to be a cube G5..
  • Reply 27 of 174
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Damned.. How do you think the eMac shows something on screen? Of course it has a slot for a video-card! And its actually an AGP slot.

Read and learn: http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...expansion.html

Quote:

Does the eMac have PCI slots or expansion bays? - No. The eMac is designed to be simple and inexpensive, and consequently, there is no internal expansion other than AirPort (AirPort Extreme after May 6, 2003) and Bluetooth (after April 13, 2004). If expansion is a top priority, you would likely be better served with a model from the Power Macintosh G4 or Power Macintosh G5 series.

Is the video controller on the eMac upgradable? - No. Like the processor, the video controller is soldered to the motherboard, and cannot be upgraded beyond the pre-installed amount of SDRAM.

Dave
  • Reply 28 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Read and learn: http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...expansion.html

Dave

Yes, do that! Its soldered to the motherboard, but still in an AGP slot!
  • Reply 29 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Yes, do that! Its soldered to the motherboard, but still in an AGP slot!

I think the confusion is that you say "slot" when I think you mean "bus". There is no "slot" on the emac; there is no video card to take out and replace (think Powerbook or iBook). The video card that is hard-wired to the motherboard (integrated into the mb, in fact) uses a 4x AGP bus.
  • Reply 30 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by Uberspleef

I think the confusion is that you say "slot" when I think you mean "bus". There is no "slot" on the emac; there is no video card to take out and replace (think Powerbook or iBook). The video card that is hard-wired to the motherboard (integrated into the mb, in fact) uses a 4x AGP bus.

Yes I did, oh the english language that we non-native people cant understand..
  • Reply 31 of 174
    I don't think the shape of the eMac will change much. I think some of the major changes will be a slot loading drive, and maybe new colors (which would make it look like one of the old iMacs). I hope Apple gives a few details during their Q4 financial results conference call today, like they did with their last conference call when they confirmed the new iMac would be G5 based.
  • Reply 32 of 174
    I have to say the biggest complaint I have about the current eMac... that DAMN CD ROM DOOR. That is one of apple's worst designs I have ever seen. Its basically like the quicksilver tower doors but 10 times bigger. So when the cd-rom is inserted it makes this large *SLAP* sound. Its not quiet by any means. We work in a fairly large office and my boss can hear it when I use the eMacs cd-rom... Now imagine 30-50 of those in a room with students... playing with the eject button. *SLAP* *SLAP* *SLAP*... if I was a teacher I'd blow my brains out!!

A slot loading optical drive would be very wise for apple. That current design is the worst design, next to the hocky iPuck mouse.
  • Reply 33 of 174
    And no, the eMac design won't change that much.

My guess,

Up processor speed to 1.33ghz and 1.5ghz.

NVidia 5200.

Bump ram to 256 (or do they already come with 256?).

Perhaps come with the eMac stand or have a different stand built in?

Perhaps a different bay door design.

Other than those minor changes I wouldn't expect much.
  • Reply 34 of 174
    well see a...

G5 Powerbook- January I hope

G5 iBook- 2006 I hope

G5 eMac- six months after the Powermac G6 comes out in 2010

it would be the worst manufacturing failure ever if they put a G5 into the eMac when the pro line isnt completely G5 yet... although 2010 is probably unrealistic
  • Reply 35 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

well see a...

G5 Powerbook- January I hope

G5 iBook- 2006 I hope

G5 eMac- six months after the Powermac G6 comes out in 2010

it would be the worst manufacturing failure ever if they put a G5 into the eMac when the pro line isnt completely G5 yet... although 2010 is probably unrealistic

Please understand, that we can not break the law of physics. If the G5 isn't ready for a laptop then it isn't and they are not going to hold back the desktops due to the fact that G5 isn't in the pro laptop yet. Yeah, 2010 is way off IMO. I say around 2007-2008.
  • Reply 36 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Yeah, 2010 is way off IMO. I say around 2007-2008.

I certainly hope there is a eMac replacement by then. Definitely not the iMac though.
  • Reply 37 of 174
    I can't see any eMac updates before christmas being all that significant, more along the lines of keeping it up to date with other systems (1.33-1.5Ghz, increased memory and hard drive, etc...)

It remains their introductory/educational model and they probably won't want to do anything that would significantly increase it's price (a G5 processor or any change to the display) nor would they want to beef it up too much and have eMac sales cut into iMac sales (or iMac profit margins) A little further out, after christmas, when people are not buying as much and looking for post holiday closeout deals (and the iMac has lost a little bit of it's luster now that everybody and their brother got one for Christmas) would be a good time to introduce an eMac G5 (perhaps at MacWorld SF) with a new form factor design.

I do not see Apple holding back an eMac G5 because of the laptops being stuck with G4s. Most users have already decided before they go to the store if they want a desktop or laptop. Or at least they are leaning one way or another and price and screen will probably way more on most users than G4 or G5 if they do not have a solid idea what they want out of a computer.

As for the "headless Mac", just out of due diligence I think Apple would have kept the idea on the back burner, even if they don't plan to release anything.

I cannot see them releasing one at the moment because they already have a system in place for each product level: bargain/low end is the eMac, mid range leading to the higher end they have the iMac G5 and at the upper end they have the PowerMac G5. Anything they introduce would probably just cannibalize another system's sales (and margins), increase Apple's production and support costs and make industry analysts start questioning if Apple might be over-extending themselves and loosing focus.

There is of course the obvious alternative...

Apple might be working on a "headless mac" in the truest sense of the word: a stereo component that combines a Tivo/DVR, AirPort Express, DVD/CD player and a kind of digital shoebox for displaying pictures on your TV in one device.

It would not connect to a normal monitor or let you surf the web and therefore does not pose the danger of cutting into other Mac sales, and it would fit perfectly into what I think is Steve Job's view of computer/television convergance (namely that they don't converge very well, and you end up with a very limited computer, or a TV that's too complex to just relax in front of). Mac OS has some of the technology, but the video-jukebox isn't there yet (think of a video-viewer application which works a lot like the music sharing aspect of iTunes and iPhoto) and Apple might not see the market/technology as mature enough yet.

Wow, that was a significant tangent.
  • Reply 38 of 174
    Tim Cook (or was it Peter Oppenheimer?) stated during today's analyst conference call that they were not interested in the sub $800 market. Soooooo, I'd think that just about puts an end - for the time being at least, to a "headless Mac." They did mention some "exciting products" coming, which of course gives no idea of any time frame. A G5 eMac would not seem to be in the cards before next year because of continuing supply constrains from IBM. One interesting comment was that the iMac G5 will contniue to be airfreighted during the next quarter at a cost to Apple of about $50 per unit (figured into the profit margins).
  • Reply 39 of 174
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Tim Cook (or was it Peter Oppenheimer?) stated during today's analyst conference call that they were not interested in the sub $800 market. Soooooo, I'd think that just about puts an end - for the time being at least, to a "headless Mac."

why do you expect apple to introduce a headless singleprocessor G5 (or G4) with some expansion options for less than $800 dollars? i think $1000 or slightly more is what you can expect to pay for a machine like that.
  • Reply 40 of 174
    Weren't there rumors about there being an eMac model without a CD Rom, something teachers requested? Or at least having that option.

It would be nice if the eMac were made a little more stylish. I know it is the bottom of the line model, but it's fugly as it is.

Could the iMac be getting a major revision so early on? I am hanging out, waiting for rev b before I replace my G3 600mhz iMac. And dam proud that I have been able to wait this long while retaining a great little computer. The extra speed will be welcomed though.

May a revision of the iMac that allows for graphics card replacement. I know the given reason for not being able to replace certain components, but I think that excuse is becoming rather dated, there are ways around that now.