Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.7 Update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by noirdesir

Have a look at this workaround:

http://www.macwindows.com/panther.html#120704

thanks for the link, but that doesn't work sadly...

i'll mess some more with it when i have the time..
  • Reply 42 of 79
    Mark me down for another one with sllloooooooowww mail opening time, used to be fairly instantaneous now its about 35 secs..
  • Reply 43 of 79
    About the slowdowns in Finder:

I installed 10.3.7 on my G3 600MHz iMac because I wanted to test the update (just about to sell the computer with original software) and it took me an extra two minutes to start-up. These two minutes were spent in-between the time that the menu bar items in the upper right appear, and the time that the white menu bar itself appears.

I have also had periodic problems with the Finder on my new iBook, but I never updated to 10.3.6 with that.

Mendosi
  • Reply 44 of 79
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    That extra time is OS X rebuilding some sort of cache files or unusual task after an OS upgrade. If you restart a few more times, you'll see that stops happening.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    I have good experience with this upgrade. In fact this is the first upgrade where repair permissions did not discover any problems. The new graphics drivers are much better. No application issues. On a note, I finally switched my default browser to Firefox. Safari's UI is better, but I will wait for Safari 1.3

Which version of Virex are you using? This is for those with mail.app problems. Make sure it is 7.5.1 and not 7.5
  • Reply 46 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

Mark me down for another one with sllloooooooowww mail opening time, used to be fairly instantaneous now its about 35 secs..

Same problem here.

I updated two Mac (iMac 1.8 G5 and PowerMac DP 2.0 G5) and both have exact the same problem.

After double clicking Mail (iChat or Apple Remote Desktop) it takes a long time before the menu-bar appears.

During the delay there is no CPU or disk-activity, Activity Monitor marks Mail as "hung"

I've tried all the usual stuff, fix permissions, fix pre-binding, clean caches, creating another user account and even multiple reboots...

BTW you're lucky, I have to wait for almost 70 seconds (>4 minutes with ARD) before Mail is usable.

As a final resort I did an archive install to 10.3.5 , fixed permissions and ran software update to install 10.3.7

Again same problem

However there is a way to launch Mail quickly!

Disable the ethernet port, double click Mail (Mail launches within a second) re-enable the ethernet port.

• Reply 47 of 79
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WebFlits

Same problem here.

I updated two Mac (iMac 1.8 G5 and PowerMac DP 2.0 G5) and both have exact the same problem.

After double clicking Mail (iChat or Apple Remote Desktop) it takes a long time before the menu-bar appears.

During the delay there is no CPU or disk-activity, Activity Monitor marks Mail as "hung"

I've tried all the usual stuff, fix permissions, fix pre-binding, clean caches, creating another user account and even multiple reboots...

BTW you're lucky, I have to wait for almost 70 seconds (>4 minutes with ARD) before Mail is usable.

As a final resort I did an archive install to 10.3.5 , fixed permissions and ran software update to install 10.3.7

Again same problem

However there is a way to launch Mail quickly!

Disable the ethernet port, double click Mail (Mail launches within a second) re-enable the ethernet port.

just noticed this! URGH! It's so annoying, i disabled the ethernet and it makes no difference. Not only does my computer take five minutes to start up, mail takes 30-40 seconds to open!
  • Reply 48 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

just noticed this! URGH! It's so annoying, i disabled the ethernet and it makes no difference. Not only does my computer take five minutes to start up, mail takes 30-40 seconds to open!

I found out (using Sampler) that all affected applications are hanging in [NSHost currenthost].

I can fully reproduce the problem in my own apps by adding the following line:

NSHost* thisIsMe = [NSHost currenthost]

The app will freeze for 70 seconds when it hits that code.
  • Reply 49 of 79
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Updated a couple days ago and noticed a couple glitches.

I too am involved with PreviewGate. (I've still got the old version number)

Mail.App had some issues. Either some preference or mailbox files were corrupted and needed to be rebuilt. After updating, 996 messages in the INBOX were marked unread and message indecies needed to be rebuilt. The message pane below the message list was fulling collapsed as well, as if it's height had been reinitialized to zero.

Fog in UT2004 also seems a bit denser. Can anyone confirm this?
  • Reply 50 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by WebFlits

I found out (using Sampler) that all affected applications are hanging in [NSHost currenthost].

I can fully reproduce the problem in my own apps by adding the following line:

NSHost* thisIsMe = [NSHost currenthost]

The app will freeze for 70 seconds when it hits that code.

Did you send this bug report to Apple? If not, please do so!
  • Reply 51 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Boukman

Did you send this bug report to Apple? If not, please do so!

Yes I did!

I think that I've found the cause ( with some help of the demo version of Etherpeek)

Both iChat and Mail are trying to do a reverse lookup during startup.

The problem is that a reverse lookup on a public DNS server with a private IP address (192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x) wil always result in an error.

[NSHost currenthost] ignores the error and simply asks again, this goes on and on until a timeout occurs.

My guess is users with a 10.x.x.x or a real public IP are in the clear.

In other words the real bug is that the resolver is mistakenly trying to do a reverse lookup for private 192.168.x.x addresses

[NOTE] I've checked it and 10.3.7 ([NSHost currenthost]) doesn't handle 192.168.x.x address correctly, when I change my router to use 10.x.x.x addresses instead of 192.168.x.x addresses everything works fine, no more delays.

• Reply 52 of 79
    So how would one change one's router from 192.168.x.x to give a 10x.x.x address for the Mac? (Netgear)
  • Reply 53 of 79
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    In general, you don't want to do that.

Go the /etc/hosts fix for now.

Good catch WebFlits!
  • Reply 54 of 79
    ""Go the /etc/hosts fix for now.""

Maybe I"m being dense but I don't see a fix involving /etc/hosts? Just where is that .... I am not into deep system gunk!
  • Reply 55 of 79
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Augh! Blast it, WebFlits edited it out.

There's a file in your system at /etc/hosts that contains information on machine names and IP numbers. Adding a line with your IP address on your machine, and the word 'localhost' will fix the problem. It's much easier to do this than to convert a LAN over to 10.x.x.x addressing, if you only have one or two machines to deal with.

So for instance if your machine had IP# 192.68.100.5, then you would add the following line to the /etc/hosts file:

192.168.100.5 localhost

You can do this in the Terminal, or edit it using TextEdit - for which you need to perform a Cmd-Shift-G in Finder for Go To Folder (also in the Go menu), and type in /etc/ in the dialog that pops up. You'll see the hosts file there. Don't change anything else. You need to be logged in as an admin to do this.
  • Reply 56 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by spylaw4

""Go the /etc/hosts fix for now.""

Maybe I"m being dense but I don't see a fix involving /etc/hosts? Just where is that .... I am not into deep system gunk!

Warning this will only work for fixed IP addresses!!!

In the Finder select menu "Go -> Go to Folder..."

Enter "/etc" and click "Go"

Double click the file "Hosts" when the Finder ask you for which program to use, select TextEdit.

The file should look like this:

##

# Host Database

#

# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface

# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.

##

127.0.0.1\tlocalhost

255.255.255.255\tbroadcasthost

::1 localhost

--------------------------------

Suppose your IP address is 192.168.1.4

Add a new line below the first one

##

# Host Database

#

# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface

# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.

##

127.0.0.1\tlocalhost

192.168.1.4 justfornow

255.255.255.255\tbroadcasthost

::1 localhost

--------------------------------

Save the file (Click "Overwrite" )

Reboot
  • Reply 57 of 79
    I've tried to do this, but it just wont overwrite the file..? I click overwrite and it says "Couldn?t save document as hosts in folder etc."
  • Reply 58 of 79
    What you could do - which is a pain, but it works - is to save the file elsewhere and then move it back over the original using a 'sudo mv' command in terminal.

I'll let someone else explain the niceties of this since I'm not currently sitting at a Mac.

Mendosi
  • Reply 59 of 79
    after the system update I had slow boot, and slow mail and safari opening times. I installed the update to virex and it seems to have fixed this. mail and safari open by the 2nd bounce and load immediately. before it was 12-13 bounces.
  • Reply 60 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

I've tried to do this, but it just wont overwrite the file..? I click overwrite and it says "Couldn?t save document as hosts in folder etc."

You have to "sudo pico" the file, or alternatively, you can get info and change the permissions, edit, then change them back.