Anyone following NCAA recruiting?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am a college football lunatic so I subscribe to pay sites that do in-depth coverage of the UT athletics program. Recruiting for football is getting to a fevered-pitch and I'm wondering if there are any other fanatics out there following.

Or, if you're curious about where your favorite squad lies this year in the recruiting arena I can look up some quick facts for you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    you know i am. what does ketch have to say these days regarding ut and ou recruiting classes?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    All UT fans talk about with regard to OU's recruiting is that we hope you don't get DeMarcus Granger.

We're mostly riding an emotional rollercoaster about our Big Three recruits (Perrilloux, Rouse & Bennett).

I'd say out of those three I'm most excited about Bennett. Rouse won't be here without RP and RP won't make a difference for at least two more years.

But Martellus Bennett and David Thomas lined up in a two TE set with Vince Young in the backfield next year... that makes me a happy boy.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Groverate

Tell me more about Perrilloux, Rouse & Bennett. What positions? Numbers etc.

As we all know the UW (Univ of Washington) sucks but Tyrone Willingham might be reviving us. We picked up a local DE named Tyrone Davis. Not on the national charts but a potential sleeper.

We're trying to close Jonathan Stewart a RB 5'11" 215lb running phenom. He wants to stay close to home and wants a good coach to play for. He's high on Willingham. Texas always recruits well. Your facilities are "off the chain" I can't imagine UT not making a favorable impression on any HS recruit.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

All UT fans talk about with regard to OU's recruiting is that we hope you don't get DeMarcus Granger.

We're mostly riding an emotional rollercoaster about our Big Three recruits (Perrilloux, Rouse & Bennett).

I'd say out of those three I'm most excited about Bennett. Rouse won't be here without RP and RP won't make a difference for at least two more years.

But Martellus Bennett and David Thomas lined up in a two TE set with Vince Young in the backfield next year... that makes me a happy boy.

if we land granger, i will be a very happy boy. add to that ryan reynolds and i'll be down right ecstatic since we will have pulled in one of the best linebacker classes in OU history. I would love to see us land one of the top TE, but not sure how likely that will be. if you do manage to get bennett, he looks to be a good one. that has been an area that has really been lacking from us since trent smith went pro. it would also be nice to get some help at DB with reggie smith as well but he may end up at nebraska or usc. everywhere else we look to be doing very nicely.

i agree with you regarding rp. and even if you land rp i still think rouse is off to one of the florida schools, but you never know.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    hmurch:

I haven't been following UW recruiting really, and looking at the commitment list doesn't inspire much confidence. But I don't really know what's in the pipeline for you. Best of luck, though, I really like Willingham and I'm sure he has what it takes to turn you guys back around.

It looks like Stewart is going to be at the All-American game in San Antonio. I'll see if I can get a buddy who is going to make up a sign for him promoting UW.

As far as UT's potential guys.

Ryan Perrilloux

#1 Dual-threat QB in the nation (#18 overall player). Comes from Louisiana.

Height: 6-foot-2

Weight: 207 pounds

40-yard dash: 4.5 seconds

Fred Rouse

#1 Wide Receiver in the nation (#4 overall player). Comes from Florida.

Height: 6-foot-4

Weight: 190 pounds

40-yard dash: 4.4 seconds

Martellus Bennett

#1 Tight End in the nation (#7 overall player). Comes from Texas.

Height: 6-foot-7

Weight: 237 pounds

40-yard dash: 4.8 seconds

Bennett is the only one of those I feel really good about our chances with. Which is nice because I'm most excited about him, not just because of his ability to contribute immediately but because he is also a damned good basketball player and can help out our b-ball team who has been losing some great players recently.

rws:

OU's LB recruiting pisses me off. We never look out of state for LBs. Ever. We take the best of what Texas has to offer and keep it at that.

The QBs and RBs seem scared of you. Doesn't surprise me with Peterson and Bomar/Thompson/Grady all in the wings.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:

The QBs and RBs seem scared of you. Doesn't surprise me with Peterson and Bomar/Thompson/Grady all in the wings.

we did land matt clap the #13 FB in the nation, but your right, i don't expect to see much interest from RB/QB recruits due to the guys you mentioned. ar far as QB goes, we offered a qb out of kentucky, chris todd, but it looks like he signed with tech. we have quite a stock of young RBs but i think we will lose a few from lack of play time due to Peterson's success.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    I don't know what the hell DJ Wolfe was thinking signing alongside Peterson. His best hope is to just wait it out as Peterson will bolt for the NFL as soon as he possibly can.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:

I don't know what the hell DJ Wolfe was thinking signing alongside Peterson. His best hope is to just wait it out as Peterson will bolt for the NFL as soon as he possibly can.

he's going to be good one if he can get some PT. there's been talk of red shirting him next year, which makes some sense, but he may be too good to do that. with all the losses at receiver, it wouldn't surprise me to see him move into slot back/RB hybrid ala reggie bush. he's very dangerous catching the ball out of the backfield.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    That's popular lately. We're doing the same thing with Ramonce Taylor (I love his name).
  • Reply 10 of 43
    what's up with roy miller? he committed early to us then all of a sudden he got pissed about something and now looks to be heading your way. what up with that? any ideas as to his change of heart?
  • Reply 11 of 43
    OU wants to take 3 or 4 DTs and UT wants to take 1 or 2. I think it is simply a case of Miller thinking that he has a better shot at playing time at UT. Also he seemed to really love Austin (a common thing ).
  • Reply 12 of 43
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I think anyone who gets into this level of detail regarding any college sport, or pretty much any sport period should go for a nice long jog.

Nick
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I think anyone who gets into this level of detail regarding any college sport, or pretty much any sport period should go for a nice long jog.

Nick

already did that this morning. well, a ride anyway.

• Reply 14 of 43
    looks like you guys were able to come through with miller. sure wish we could have landed him. still think that granger is the better of the 2 and has more up side, but damn he didn't look pretty tough out there today.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    FREDDIE LENNIX

remember that name
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Miller was a beast out there. After seeing them play side by side I'm fine with getting Miller if we had to choose between the two. I'm more concerned with immediate impact over upside, especially with big men because the big fatties can get hurt and never come close to reaching their potential.

Not that I would turn Granger away. I'd squeal like a little girl if he decided to come on down to Austin at the end of the day.

Thug life:

More info, please.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

FREDDIE LENNIX

remember that name

freddie who?
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Thug Life goes to Cleveland Glenville IIRC, same school that produced Pierre Woods, Donte Whitner, Troy Smith and Ted Ginn among others. If Freddie Lennox goes to Glenville which I'll asusme to be likely then he'll probably wind up at Ohio State as Ginn Sr steers all of his players that direction.

As I said during the summer, I still wouldn't feel secure about Perriloux leaving home for Texas. In the end, L$U u$ually get$ the Loui$iana player$ that they really really want. Texas definitely needs Rouse, they have some sorry ass WRs. Tony Jeffrey = Pussy. Not that matters, Texas will still lose to Oklahoma and go 9-2 or 10-1 depending on whether they beat OSU. THen they'll go 10-1 in 2006. It's all very predictable. Save this post. And before you point it out, yes, somehow Michigan will manage to finish 9-3 next year.

DeSean Jackson has some quicks but he's a definite early candidate for moron of the year.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Tony Jeffery was not very good, no, but thankfully he is gone. We'll be improved on that front, but Rouse would definitely get a shot at starting from game 1.

Also, Scoreboard.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

Tony Jeffery was not very good, no, but thankfully he is gone. We'll be improved on that front, but Rouse would definitely get a shot at starting from game 1.

Also, Scoreboard.

it would be one hell of a scoop for you guys to land him, but who is going to throw to him? vince? rp? unless something changes and greg davis is no longer running the offense, i just don't see this happening especially since rp's verbal seems a little weak at this time.