Apple to build elegant retail store in Manhattan's Midtown

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Ted, that you posted that link to Emporis is too freaky. I had a window open to their website, to this page: http://www.emporis.com/en/cd/cm/?id=103690. We are looking for a long lost relative who must be located to settle a family inheritance involving overseas land bought in the 1930s (I think the link gives the location away) Anyway, I decided to do a search on google for the hell of it, as I was thinking that Jews often name their children after relatives that preceded them by a generation or two (something to do with not naming people after living relatives.) So if we are looking for someone who was born around the turn of the last century, he might have had kids named after him in the 1930s to 50s. So what comes up but this emporis website (above). strange world. BTW, what's your connection to that compnay?
  • Reply 42 of 64
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Sorry no connection unless there is alot of money involved then I am that long lost cousin!!

My relatives came from the Peloponese in Greece circa turn of the century.

• Reply 43 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by RockyClark

... Upper Siders to have to drag their asses down to the (ugh) Village just to do something as pedestrian as buy a computer..

Actually, the store is in SOHO which is technically south of the village. Houston being the demarkation line. Hence the abbreviation for S outh O f H ouston.

Villagers would have to drag their asses down to SOHO.

ps. You can always order from apple online and they will deliver. Therefore no ass dragging anywhere.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

OH MY GOD!!

3 blocks away!

<kneels on bended knee and thanks almighty for bounty>

The only thing better is having Steve Jobs deliver me a Pizza!

ack!

Not bad, but...my office is in the building. Probably not a good thing for my wallet.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Osakans

Not bad, but...my office is in the building. Probably not a good thing for my wallet.

OOh much much worse for you. You should probably go in on the other side of the building. Or risk being constantly broke.

Cheers!

• Reply 46 of 64
    Scaffolding is up around the area where the reported store is to be....

stay tuned!!!

• Reply 47 of 64
    Here's a link to what the building owner is planning:

Macklowe Properties
  • Reply 48 of 64
    This would be what the rumors are indicating!!!!

A large glass cube with the apple store inside/underneath!!

Also in line with apple's desire to open more stores!!

5th av is prime retail real estate!! Lots of foreign tourists. Esp. Japanese technofetishists!!

Go apple!
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Update:

2/22

Scaffolding is up around the entire GM building.

The entire area around the fountain and underground area has been fenced off with plywood and scaffolding up around the entire sidewalk area....

....sweet!!

• Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:

Update:

2/22

Scaffolding is up around the entire GM building.

The entire area around the fountain and underground area has been fenced off with plywood and scaffolding up around the entire sidewalk area....

....sweet!!

do you know when it will be done? The average seems to be 6 months inbetween the plans being discovered and it actually happening but this will probobly take longer because of the aritecture(SP).
  • Reply 51 of 64
    If approval has been granted and you have the $$ you can get anything done in NYC. Apple certainly has the $$. So, I would expect them to work double shifts and weekends. My guess is mid summer to Sept 1.

And Steve was Just in town a the SOHO store. So things are moving fast...

also of not is this patent. It may just be for the staircase in the SOHO store but what about a wider application to the entire Cube?

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...le+computer%22
  • Reply 52 of 64
    That would sure be awsome ive seen the glass staircases in the Chicago store and there so cool. I hope it gets done before mid july because im visiting NYC this summer. It would be so awsome if i was there for the grand opening!
  • Reply 53 of 64
    It might just happen by then. Stay tuned.

If not you could always visit the SOHO store. It is pretty cool and NYC rocks any time of the year.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    6 months would be a very aggressive schedule for construction, assuming all the designs are done.

The exterior glass cube will need its own designed structural system, which may or may not have any relationship to the system for the interior stair. It's a very specific assembly with entirely different design constraints. If it's the same consultant engineering the system, you might see the detail adapted in some way to the cube, but I don't know how weatherproofing affects the detail.

FWIW, I think the glass cube seems rather odd in this context.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

6 months would be a very aggressive schedule for construction, assuming all the designs are done.

The exterior glass cube will need its own designed structural system, which may or may not have any relationship to the system for the interior stair. It's a very specific assembly with entirely different design constraints. If it's the same consultant engineering the system, you might see the detail adapted in some way to the cube, but I don't know how weatherproofing affects the detail.

FWIW, I think the glass cube seems rather odd in this context.

actually the cube would fit well in this space. It is a rather large setback from 5th avenue currently occupied by 2 rectangular fountains. From the vantage point of the park It would be impressive. Also it is directly across from the Plaza hotel.

For what it is worth, I have seen entire buildings go up in NYC in 6 months. NYC when it wants to can really move a project.

Then again, without the proper cooperation of the unions and the city the project could take years.

depends on how pursuasive Steve was.....

• Reply 56 of 64
    I think it will take a little over six months. The landlord is telling us the Fifth Avenue side won't be done until October 15. I've rarely seen work like this finished early, so I wouldn't be surprised if it pushed into mid-November. I'd think Thanksgiving would be a realistic deadline.

Quote:

actually the cube would fit well in this space. It is a rather large setback from 5th avenue currently occupied by 2 rectangular fountains. From the vantage point of the park It would be impressive. Also it is directly across from the Plaza hotel.

The cube will definitely fit. The space in front of the building used to have a sunken plaza that was a lot bigger than the cube.

I'm also curious as to how the work and the cube once the work is done will impact the CBS Early Show, which uses the plaza for outdoor shooting in the morning.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    my best guess is that they are pushing like hell to get it done by the time the schools open or at the outside for the holiday season.

As for the Daily Show. there is still a large amount of outdoor space in front of the studio and the huge apple cube will be in every shot....

Product placement via architecture..

Brilliant!
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Here is an excellent rendering by the buildings owner of the cube space where it is reported that apple will be moving into...

http://www.macklowespace.com/GM_impr...rovements.html
  • Reply 59 of 64
    brianrubrianru Posts: 28member
    I just hope they are going to sell the $250 bags there. It's finally the only store opening close to me that I'll be able to get there for a bag.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Jackhammering and excavations are in progress!!

WooT!