Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rayapple

How about your fan? Has it gone on yet?

I honestly don't know!!!
  • Reply 82 of 101
    I think if the fan goes on, its unnoticable. Pretty cool if you ask me!
  • Reply 83 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

Thanks for the review.-- you too MacCrazy-- It should probably be on another thread, but I am very interested on using the new iWork with your PB. I've had MSWord since it came out a few months after MacWord/MacPaint in 1984, so (except for that bad Patch with Word 6.0) I cannot abandon it and Office, but I like to see Apple's software engineers at work, pushing MS to address issues for the academic or writer market as much as for the industrial one. I was struck by Thrash's Chem major. What do you major in?

I love my powerbook. I take it everywhere (well, everywhere on campus so far, havent gone anywhere else yet). I used to get yelled at because i tend to type loud and the "mushy" keys on my powerbook don't make a sound. The bottom of the laptop does get kind of hot, but thats because its sitting on the bed with no ventilation, otherwise its perfect. I put a gig of ram in it, even tho I haven't put it to its limits so far. Just safari, iChat, some chem apps, and xfactor. Digi cam is broken so I can't have any fun with iPhoto yet, but I am eventually going to get some dvd-rs and burn some dvds.

I have no reason to hook it up to an external monitor, its plenty big for me. It makes the screen on my 15" iMac look like crap! The backlit keyboard is awesome, definetly useful. I got a kick out of it when my prof. turned off the lights to show a video and it automatically came on. I don't think the fan has come on once, atleast I can't hear it at all. Battery life is a bit shotty tho, I only get 3 hours max. Airport reception is ok, not AS good as my iBook but its pretty up to par.

Scrolling on the trackpad, well, the button CAN get stiff on mine, but I hardly ever use it. I set it to "tap" so I use that most of the time. One thing that does bug me tho, if I hover over a link for too long, it automatically goes to that link. I have to mess with the settings some more. Two finger scroll is a godsend.

Also, anyone know why Gmail isn't forwarding my email to both the mail app on my iMac and my PB? I hate actually going to the site or getting up to check my mail on here.

I'm meticulous about keeping it clean. Wash my hands before I even touch it, don't eat around it (I tend to ALWAYS eat dinner in front of the computer).

Now if only my shinza sleeve would get here (last one was too big) and my printer.

Cubit-san,dooz yoroshiku. (bear with me, I'm only in Japanese 1, haha)

edit: woo! interview at the apple store at the grove on the 27th!
  • Reply 84 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by I Thrash Therefore I Am

I love my powerbook. I take it everywhere (well, everywhere on campus so far, havent gone anywhere else yet). I used to get yelled at because i tend to type loud and the "mushy" keys on my powerbook don't make a sound. The bottom of the laptop does get kind of hot, but thats because its sitting on the bed with no ventilation, otherwise its perfect. I put a gig of ram in it, even tho I haven't put it to its limits so far. Just safari, iChat, some chem apps, and xfactor. Digi cam is broken so I can't have any fun with iPhoto yet, but I am eventually going to get some dvd-rs and burn some dvds.

I have no reason to hook it up to an external monitor, its plenty big for me. It makes the screen on my 15" iMac look like crap! The backlit keyboard is awesome, definetly useful. I got a kick out of it when my prof. turned off the lights to show a video and it automatically came on. I don't think the fan has come on once, atleast I can't hear it at all. Battery life is a bit shotty tho, I only get 3 hours max. Airport reception is ok, not AS good as my iBook but its pretty up to par.

Scrolling on the trackpad, well, the button CAN get stiff on mine, but I hardly ever use it. I set it to "tap" so I use that most of the time. One thing that does bug me tho, if I hover over a link for too long, it automatically goes to that link. I have to mess with the settings some more. Two finger scroll is a godsend.

Also, anyone know why Gmail isn't forwarding my email to both the mail app on my iMac and my PB? I hate actually going to the site or getting up to check my mail on here.

I'm meticulous about keeping it clean. Wash my hands before I even touch it, don't eat around it (I tend to ALWAYS eat dinner in front of the computer).

Now if only my shinza sleeve would get here (last one was too big) and my printer.

edit: woo! interview at the apple store at the grove on the 27th!

I agree Airport reception isn't as good as my iMac G3, but it's good enough for me. Although in the top floor of my house the signal is very low, not on my sister's iBook G4 though! I only get 2.5 hours of battery life, but that's with bluetooth on and airport. I always wash my hands and I;m wiping if all the time, apart from the screen. It's so beautiful but not that thin. The titanium obviously was thinner but looked so much thinner.

I've had a problem with my external mouse. I plugged it into a hub (it has eight buttons programmed for exposé) and it suddenly performs F11 or F9 or right-clicks for no reason. I plug the mouse into the computer and there's no problem. Is this normal?
  • Reply 85 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I agree Airport reception isn't as good as my iMac G3, but it's good enough for me. Although in the top floor of my house the signal is very low, not on my sister's iBook G4 though! I only get 2.5 hours of battery life, but that's with bluetooth on and airport. I always wash my hands and I;m wiping if all the time, apart from the screen. It's so beautiful but not that thin. The titanium obviously was thinner but looked so much thinner.

I've had a problem with my external mouse. I plugged it into a hub (it has eight buttons programmed for exposé) and it suddenly performs F11 or F9 or right-clicks for no reason. I plug the mouse into the computer and there's no problem. Is this normal?

I dunno, but my PB is right next to my iMac on my desk and it only has 3 bars while my iMac has 4. It doesn't go below 3 in the rest of the house tho.
  • Reply 86 of 101
    Quote:

I dunno, but my PB is right next to my iMac on my desk and it only has 3 bars while my iMac has 4. It doesn't go below 3 in the rest of the house tho.

My iMac was on 5 I'm on 4 (now 2, now 4 again). Anyway I was working on Keynote a bit more. Transitions are a lot better than PowerPoint - I'm trying to make motion paths but can't see how at the moment. I'm also finding the inspector annoying as I said, it doesn't update but also it's difficult finding things. I keep using help (spacing for characters and rotating objects) - but they're both in the inspector. PowerPoint help is so awful I always avoid it but Apple should be more intuitive than this. Anyway I'll post the finished project.
  • Reply 87 of 101
    ulmoulmo Posts: 21member
    I ordered the 17" Powerbook from the Applestore last Sunday with 1GB of RAM, and I am still waiting for it to ship. I currently have a 12" 1Ghz Powerbook and I am hoping the new powerbook will be worth the wait. Is the extra RAM and .67mhz going to make the difference?. It seems like everyone is pleased with the new powerbooks!!
  • Reply 88 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by ulmo

I ordered the 17" Powerbook from the Applestore last Sunday with 1GB of RAM, and I am still waiting for it to ship. I currently have a 12" 1Ghz Powerbook and I am hoping the new powerbook will be worth the wait. Is the extra RAM and .67mhz going to make the difference?. It seems like everyone is pleased with the new powerbooks!!

I have 1GB RAM. I've had Motion, Illustrator, iTunes, iPhoto, Mail, iCal, Photoshop, AddressBook, iChat, Word, Keynote and others open and there was no slow down! WOW!!! The new PowerBooks are amazing, BUT I'm used to a iMac G3 600MHz with 768MB RAM. You will notice a speed difference though. Why 17" was the 12 to small. I think the 15" is a bit big. The 12" is probably the size I want but the features I wanted were on the 15" - also being a designer I needed a bigger screen.
  • Reply 89 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I have 1GB RAM. I've had Motion, Illustrator, iTunes, iPhoto, Mail, iCal, Photoshop, AddressBook, iChat, Word, Keynote and others open and there was no slow down! WOW!!! The new PowerBooks are amazing, BUT I'm used to a iMac G3 600MHz with 768MB RAM. You will notice a speed difference though. Why 17" was the 12 to small. I think the 15" is a bit big. The 12" is probably the size I want but the features I wanted were on the 15" - also being a designer I needed a bigger screen.

Really? I find the screen to be perfect. Its big enough that I can see everything perfectly but small enough to carry around with one hand and type with another (atleast for me). Its pretty much as heavy as a textbook, so with my back problems it can get kinda heavy (plus my japanese books and all my other crap).

ahhh, the joy of having back problems at 18. I'm such a geezer.
  • Reply 90 of 101
    I find the screen resolution too small on the 12", and the desktop can become easily cluttered, especially when working in apps like Dreamweaver.

I ordered the 17", because it's still portable, and has the extra screen space, plus it should also be good for watching DVD movies on. I will definitely be keeping the 12" book just in case the 17" is a pain to carry round. Oh well, guess I will have to wait for this thing to ship, been waiting nearly 8 days now :-(
  • Reply 91 of 101
    Quote:

I find the screen resolution too small on the 12", and the desktop can become easily cluttered, especially when working in apps like Dreamweaver.

I ordered the 17", because it's still portable, and has the extra screen space, plus it should also be good for watching DVD movies on. I will definitely be keeping the 12" book just in case the 17" is a pain to carry round. Oh well, guess I will have to wait for this thing to ship, been waiting nearly 8 days now :-(

The 17" isn't bad to carry....... I think it's because of it's thin body. But, I did have a huge dell to lug around It's worth the wait, I had to wait 3 weeks!
  • Reply 92 of 101
    Quote:

Really? I find the screen to be perfect. Its big enough that I can see everything perfectly but small enough to carry around with one hand and type with another (atleast for me). Its pretty much as heavy as a textbook, so with my back problems it can get kinda heavy (plus my japanese books and all my other crap).

ahhh, the joy of having back problems at 18. I'm such a geezer.

I've got back problems too, it's all the time i spend hunched over my desk! The 15" screen is ok, but I would like more pixels.
  • Reply 93 of 101
    I finally got my Powerbook, it took just over 12days from the time of ordering it, to it being on my doorstep, not bad considering the trouble other people have had.

You were right MacCrazy, the laptop is huge, it is a lot bigger than it looks on the adverts, but I am extremely happy with it, it feels weird looking at the 12" screen on my older Powerbook, but I am enjoying the extra screen space. I also have to say how quiet the thing is, it's brilliant. :-), :-)
  • Reply 94 of 101
    Quote:

it feels weird looking at the 12" screen on my older Powerbook

Yes it does!

Some of you have read my horrendous saga with the 17" PowerBook I have, but so far 3 months without any problems!

Here are my general notes on the 17" PowerBook:

- The screen is breathtaking at first. And even if you go back to your 12" for a project, when you go back to the 17" it's breathtaking all over again.

- This may be an issue with mine (since I have had so many with it) but the display isn't as bright as the 15 or the 12". I find myself hitting the increase brightness button, only to realize that it's already set to full blast.

- You won't realize it until you go to do something and need to move it about where you'll see its size has limitations.

- Most people gawk at the 17-inch PowerBook and want to touch it and adjust the screen. A lot of folks can't get over just how thin it is. There are PC laptops (Toshiba comes to mind) with 15" screens that are bigger and heavier than the 17".

- 1.5 GB of RAM in mine allows me to have a ton of apps open with little or no noticeable hit on performance. Mine has a 4200 RPM hard drive which is the only real hinderance.

- It's very comfortable to use in the lap, even though Apple and other computer manufacturers have shied away from using the term laptop in favor of "notebook" or "portable" because they tend to run hot (although mine runs warm).

- If you don't have one already, an iSight is a great addition to your 17" PowerBook!
  • Reply 95 of 101
    Quote:

- This may be an issue with mine (since I have had so many with it) but the display isn't as bright as the 15 or the 12". I find myself hitting the increase brightness button, only to realize that it's already set to full blast.

That sounds strange, mine is the reverse, the 17" screen is so much more brighter than my 12"

Quote:

- You won't realize it until you go to do something and need to move it about where you'll see its size has limitations.

Agree with you here, it is harder to carry round, I also found myself fighting for desk space in work this morning, I've never had any trouble with the 12". The laptop shares the desk with a Wintel machine.
  • Reply 96 of 101
    Quote:

That sounds strange, mine is the reverse, the 17" screen is so much more brighter than my 12"

My screen is dim for some reason. Maybe I am wrong.
  • Reply 97 of 101
    My PowerBook is going back to Apple! :-( The button on the latch is stuck in the open position so it wont close. I rang them up and stupidly went for the new PowerBook option - it's just so tempting!). Now I have to wait another two weeks for a new one! It should be shipped on the 8th March. urgh. Well at least I've got this PowerBook over the weekend to finish all the urgent stuff. Then two weeks of no computer.
  • Reply 98 of 101
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Doitashimashite! [/B]

• Reply 99 of 101
    Quote:

I have a similar issue with .Mac's email IMAP server. Since it's IMAP it notes the first time it's read from the server, marks it read, deletes it after a period, and so won't serve it again. So, if you open Mail on another Mac and attempt to get your mail again, you'll only get new emails. This is a good design if you only get your email from one computer, but a pain otherwise.

Fortunately, I also have a POP server account with an ISP. Anything I want to assure I can read from multiple Macs I make sure goes to that server. The downside with this setup is that I have to occasionally log into that server on the web and clear out my Inbox when it gets full. Yes, that ISP offers some configuration options to delete mail automatically, but I like being able to login to it and retrieve some email I've misplaced on my local Mac. Thus, it becomes my backup when I screw up.

So, pros and cons. I don't know anything about Gmail, but if it's using IMAP, that may be your issue.
  • Reply 100 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Marsh

I have a similar issue with .Mac's email IMAP server. Since it's IMAP it notes the first time it's read from the server, marks it read, deletes it after a period, and so won't serve it again. So, if you open Mail on another Mac and attempt to get your mail again, you'll only get new emails. This is a good design if you only get your email from one computer, but a pain otherwise.

Fortunately, I also have a POP server account with an ISP. Anything I want to assure I can read from multiple Macs I make sure goes to that server. The downside with this setup is that I have to occasionally log into that server on the web and clear out my Inbox when it gets full. Yes, that ISP offers some configuration options to delete mail automatically, but I like being able to login to it and retrieve some email I've misplaced on my local Mac. Thus, it becomes my backup when I screw up.

So, pros and cons. I don't know anything about Gmail, but if it's using IMAP, that may be your issue.

Yeah Gmail is a POP account.