Preferred Beers and Beer Styles

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Happy Buddha

I'm a home brewer and I really enjoy making a good honey wheat beer but I also make a few different lagers. On the rare occasion that I buy beer I usually buy Leinenkugel.

Ahhh, Leinenkugel, always a good value!

Ever had the Creamy Dark on draft? Scrumptious!
  • Reply 42 of 69
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Harry Baals Irish Stout from Mad Anthony Brewing Company in my home town of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Harry Baals was the Mayor of Fort Wayne. We have a street named after Mr. Baals.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    I like Pilsners. I've been drinking DAB for the last few weeks. Tastes good. Main problem with the many good beers that are imported from Europe is that they suck on this side of the pond. I've had Pilsner Urquell in teh Czech Republic and Germany and it is great. Here in the US it just doesn't have as much flavor and, I suspect, alcohol.

When I lived in NYC I had conections with the Turkish embassy and could get real Dutch Heineken (with pull tabs!) and the difference with the American stuff was evident as soon as you opened the can.

My favorite Local brewer is Gordon Bierch. Their Märzen and pilsner are very good, better than many imports but not as good as the real stuff back in the Fatherland.

TonTon- I had a Boddington's here in San Francisco and it was like water with foam. I had the real stuff in Bath England last year and loved it.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    A few Thursdays ago, while out at our local hangout (Triple Rock on Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley), Chris, our go-to guy, made us a custom mix: 1/2 stout and 1/2 double IPA. I'm not usually a stout fan, but this mix was great.

Then again, free beer always tastes better, right?

Usually Thursday night is "Monkey Night", as we drink the special Monkey Head Arboreal Ale, but this was a nice bonus.

If you're in the area on a Thursday, its highly likely I'll be down at The Rock. I highly recommend you dropping in.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I like Pilsners. I've been drinking DAB for the last few weeks. Tastes good. Main problem with the many good beers that are imported from Europe is that they suck on this side of the pond.

Very true. If you're ever in the Baltimore area, stop at the Baltimore Brewing Company, which, I'm pretty sure, makes DeGroens. If you're lucky, you can also find it in bottles in stores in the area. (DC, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvannia, New Jersey.)
  • Reply 46 of 69
    I just happened to look up DeGroen's. Apparently Baltimore Brewing Company closed last month, but there's still a brewpub called DeGroen's.

From a random site I found:
    Quote:

Closed Feb. 25, 2005. Brewer's owner has just signed a contract for the beers to be produced for bottles and draft at Fordham Brewing's Dover, Del. brewery; expects to resume suppluing the area by the end of March or beginning of April 2005.

• Reply 47 of 69
    If this means that fordham bought baltimore brewing company, then I suppose that's good news. If the new owner should choose to sell DeGroens to a larger market, I would be very happy. All of the DeGroens beers are good, and have the advantage of not spending a lot of time in shipment, in customs, or part of any importing process that seems to have a bad effect on beer.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

[B... or part of any importing process that seems to have a bad effect on beer. [/B]

These thing may take their toll, but I beleive that the the beer shipped from Europe is usually not the same stuff sold in the local market. The Heinekin I tasted in New York had more alcohol-I'm sure.

We need a Beer-insider who works in a European brewery to spill teh bean here. Come on, 6-degrees of seperation + the web, there has to be someone in the know out there.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

Mmmm, beer... one of my favourite subjects

6: Tooheys New (great Aussie beer)

7: Boags (excellent Aussie brand)

How the hell does someone put a fine beer like Boags next to utter dregs like Toohey's New? It's revolting! It comes in cans with extra-big drinking holes so you can slam it down fast! Blergh!

As for my favourites, I'm fairly low class, so I occasionally imbibe a VB (a fairly strong-tasting bitter from Melbourne) or two, horrifying my poncy law-school friends. I'm also fond of:

? Cascade Premium Light (for summer, when I'd prefer not to become an alcoholic. It's perhaps a little on the sweet side, but it's the best of a bad bunch);

? Cooper's Sparkling Ale (a fairly traditionally brewed top-fermented ale);

? James Squire's Amber Ale is remarkably good, if a bit pricy. Their India Pale Ale and Porter are excellent as well;

? Newcastle Brown;

? Kilkenny;

? any strong traditionally brewed darker ale.
  • Reply 50 of 69
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

How the hell does someone put a fine beer like Boags next to utter dregs like Toohey's New? It's revolting! It comes in cans with extra-big drinking holes so you can slam it down fast! Blergh!

As for my favourites, I'm fairly low class, so I occasionally imbibe a VB (a fairly strong-tasting bitter from Melbourne).

As someone stated earlier, it's all down to individual taste, and I realise that 'New' is not a premium beer but hell... it's great for bingeing!

As for VB... :cough:piss:cough: ...that stuff will kill ya!
  • Reply 51 of 69
    I remember drinking "slabs" of VB when I was an exchange student in Melbourne, age 16.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

As someone stated earlier, it's all down to individual taste, and I realise that 'New' is not a premium beer but hell... it's great for bingeing!

As for VB... :cough:piss:cough: ...that stuff will kill ya!

Actually, I was just a little shocked by the juxtaposition. As you can see by my VB-drinking habits, I'm not really much of a beer snob.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    nj tomnj tom Posts: 25member
  • Reply 54 of 69
    nj tomnj tom Posts: 25member
  • Reply 55 of 69
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Favourite beers: Stout and ale.

Best brand is a bit tougher, but I'll give one of the lesser known Swedish brands a shout out.

Nils Oscar, only in swedish though (sorry).
  • Reply 56 of 69
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I've been drinking DAB for the last few weeks. Tastes good.

DAB is good, it doesn't crash into my head like most dutch pilsners do.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

Actually, I was just a little shocked by the juxtaposition. As you can see by my VB-drinking habits, I'm not really much of a beer snob.

Granted, neither am I, although if you drink enough of a particular brand you can acquire a taste for it (drink enough='getting bladdered').

I must agree that Boags is far superior to 'New' though it comes down to what's available where you are.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    Theakston's, Newcastle Brown Ale, Black Sheep Ale.

• Reply 60 of 69

hofbrau Munchen

my dad turned me on to this tasty little bavarian gem from his time living in germany. if you're ever in munich for octoberfest, their tent is considered one of the best. or just drop by their bier-garden and knock down a few with the locals.