Future iBook Updates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Speaking of Sony laptops... those XBRITE screens are B-E-A-utiful! I'd love to see that on a Mac. Could Apple use them? Anyone know if they are they patented or something?

I'd assume Apple could do something similar. If memory serves me correctly, Samsung have a similarly good screen on their laptops which goes under a different name (SuperBright I think). It is very similar in appearance to the Sony screen
  • Reply 22 of 68
    The iBooks should get Bluetooth 2.0+EDR support, a scrolling trackpad, more graphics VRAM for CI support, 8x Superdrive.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    sorhedsorhed Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Invader Zim

The iBooks should get Bluetooth 2.0+EDR support, a scrolling trackpad, more graphics VRAM for CI support, 8x Superdrive.

and then what distinguishes it from a powerbook?

The price point would rise by at least $600 CAD with those upgrades.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sorhed

Perhaps new Powerbooks with "x-brite like" screens are on the way distinguishing the two product lines a bit more. Just a guess.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sorhed

This is the problem - the iBook needs more memory, bluetooth and a 8x superdrive to keep up with the competition, they are all realistic upgrades. Problem is, the PowerBook is STILL holding the iBook back. Until we get a decent, big powerbook upgrade, iBooks still can't go far.

Hopefully come the fall, we'll get decent PowerBooks, all widescreen, and then the iBook can get a decent upgrade at the same time.

I agree with satchmo that better screens across the range could help. They could add X-Brite style to the Powerbook, thus differentiating them from the iBook. I'd certainly consider paying the extra for the better screens, and I wouldn't be the only one. Keep the iBook screens acceptable, make the PowerBook screens awesome (maybe with a 13.3in version?) and I'm sure lots of iBook owners would upgrade. Fingers crossed. Until then though, we can't expect much more than minor upgrades if the iBook gets an upgrade in April.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Am I the only right handed person who only ever uses the mouse with my right hand?!

If it helps I'm left-handed and use my mouse with my right-hand.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I'm left handed and I use my mouse with my left hand. You righties can stop griping right now, because about 90% of the mice and trackballs that are out there are only usable by righties. What an arrogant majority!

As for iBook updates, I noticed last week that there were a bunch of refurb iBooks suddenly in the Apple Store at good prices. I ordered a 12" for $850. But to my surprise, it is not supposed to ship until 3/29! I think this is a clear sign that the iBooks will be updated on 3/29 (a Tuesday), with the remaining inventory being cleared out as refurbs. Should I cancel my order?
  • Reply 28 of 68
    YES...

Cancle your iBook order NOW !!!

New iBook's are on their way and from $150 more think of how much better the product will be. Major updates, better OS, and the list could go on...
  • Reply 29 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

I'm left handed and I use my mouse with my left hand. You righties can stop griping right now, because about 90% of the mice and trackballs that are out there are only usable by righties. What an arrogant majority!

Could be worse - you could be looking for a left-handed guitar. Hendrix had to flip right-handers over and string them upside down, and Cobain had to scour pawn shops and buy cheap Japanese Stratocaster knock-offs.

At least you've got better company than us righties.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KCOM2006

YES...

Cancle your iBook order NOW !!!

New iBook's are on their way and from $150 more think of how much better the product will be. Major updates, better OS, and the list could go on...

Actually i strongly agree. And - if the new iBook doesn't ship

with Tiger yet - you will get an update coupon for a free Tiger copy.

Apple did this in the not so distant past several times.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I'd guess that the lineup will look something like this:

12-inch

1.33 GHz G4

167 MHz front side bus

512 MB RAM

40 GB hard drive

64 MB Mobility Radeon 9200

Combo drive

14-inch

1.5 GHz G4

167 MHz front side bus

512 MB RAM

60 GB hard drive

64 MB Mobility Radeon 9200

Combo drive ($1299) or 8X Superdrive ($1499)

The CPU boost is easy enough; by now, the cost of improved G4s should be negligible. The system bus speed is increased because the PowerBooks will get a major overhaul sometime in the summer (or early fall) and thus make any seeming parity with the iBooks right now seem insignificant.

The main improvements here are obviously the system and video RAM. The 512 MB push is to help with iLife; 64 MB of video RAM will help with Tiger as well as in bundled games. I'd suggest a Mobility Radeon X300 (for full CoreImage support), but that would require PCIe graphics support... and a Mobility Radeon 9600 seems like a bit much for an iBook at this point!
  • Reply 32 of 68
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Those specs are too close to the Powerbook. I think they might upgrade the hardrive on the lowend 12" iBook to 40GB and maybe the RAM to 512MB. But sadly I expect them to stick with the 32MB ATI card, which seems to have been with the iBooks forever.

However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the iBooks were not updated until the NEXT Powerbook revision. All of Apples computers seem overdue for revision..expecailly the eMac which is just a couple of weeks away from going an entire YEAR without any change.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    No one has mentioned this yet...but hte iBooks need better grpahics cards to be compatible with Tiger's Core Technologies. The 9200 won't cut it. It needs a card with higher core and memory speeds, more vram, and more rendering pipelines. IE a whole new card... an ATI 9200 with 64mb vram won't cut it. Apple is supposedly announcing new eMacs and iMacs the day Tiger is announced... nothing is really being changed except a little speed bump in the iMac and a new Core Technology compatible graphics card in the eMac. Apple will want to upgrade the iBook's graphics card to make it tiger Core Technology compatible asap. This is all that is holding me back from buying one... the price difference between the iBook and the Powerbook is way too much without any justification in speed and specs besides that card IMHO.

Therefor, perhaps when tiger comes out the ibooks will get the most minor upgrade ever... just a graphics card... if they clocked up the cpu any more it would run into the powerbook line... though they could do 1.42ghz in the iBook and 1.5ghz in the powerbook. I would instantly buy a 1.42 14" with a NVidia 5200.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    timmybtimmyb Posts: 12member
    To avoid getting too close to the PBooks, I think Apple should improve graphics card, increase size of hard drive on 12" model, put in BT2.0 and then give it a price drop.

This means there are some improvements but not too many to make it so similar to the PBook. The price drop would make sense with Apple's plans to crack the mass market.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

Those specs are too close to the Powerbook. I think they might upgrade the hardrive on the lowend 12" iBook to 40GB and maybe the RAM to 512MB. But sadly I expect them to stick with the 32MB ATI card, which seems to have been with the iBooks forever.

Remember what I said above: if a PowerBook G5 shows up this year, any apparent similarity in performance will evaporate the moment said PowerBooks show up. Besides, there will still be obvious differences: no built-in Bluetooth, backlit keyboard, DVI-out, or audio-in.

We're not likely to see these iBooks until April or May, either, and by then there won't be much of a gap between the iBook and PowerBook updates.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

As for iBook updates, I noticed last week that there were a bunch of refurb iBooks suddenly in the Apple Store at good prices. I ordered a 12" for $850. But to my surprise, it is not supposed to ship until 3/29! I think this is a clear sign that the iBooks will be updated on 3/29 (a Tuesday), with the remaining inventory being cleared out as refurbs. Should I cancel my order?

I am right handed and use both hands for mice. I like the single button Apple mice because I can switch hands without having to change button config's. Single button mice rule. 8)

Besides, I use Blue Tooth mice on my Apples and I don't have wires so I don't care which side the ports are on.

ERic
  • Reply 37 of 68
    co_elico_eli Posts: 1member
    so does anyone know if there will be an april update of ibook in the next week?

thanks in advance!
  • Reply 38 of 68
    I'm betting end of May as the max update time for the ibooks. Once tiger is announced, consumers are going to want a fully compatible graphics card. I doubt they'll bump up the cpu clock rate much, maybe to 1.33 and 1.42... just to keep it under the powerbook line. But once the graphics card and clock rate are bumped, powerbook sales are going to suffer (not that they aren't already).

This update is what I'm waiting for before I buy any laptop. If I can get a 14" ibook with a tiger compatible card for 1299, i'm in.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    MacOSRumours just ran a note on rumours of a widescreen iBook. I think this could make sense for Apple, consolidating the existing 12" and 14" iBook models into a single 13" Widescreen model with a couple of different SKUs for various HD, CPU and optical drive configs.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Wow!

Yes that does make a lot of sense. Why have a 12" ibook and a 12" powerbook!?

Then it makes choices really hard to go up a small mhz jump, fasterhd, graphics card and case for 500 dollars. I've said it before, only thing keeping me from an ibook is the graphics card.

This would be really smart for apple to go with a 13" if they can keep the price low.