Nintendo: Revolution & free DS online service

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

Could be for any platform really. So MS licensed these ones while others couldn't or didn't, doesn't mean that they actually bring anything to the table. I give Sony the respect only because they were there first...

Well, if you are not counting games, then they have the highest quality hardware of the three - which is why Dead or Alive switched from PS2 to Xbox.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    For me, once you get past 10-20 good games you're just making noise. I realize you need a lot more for market penetration and all that jazz, but like I said, for me.

Quote:

I think the logic explains itself. Consumers wouldn't buy the system if they didn't think it wasn't better than the other two. I know just b/c a system has a lot of games behind it doesn't mean its better but in the case of the PS2 there are a lot of great games behind the system.

The elusive triple negative makes an appearance.

There are a lot of games behind the PS2. You say they are great, fine, I'll take your word for it. Not many of those interest me at all. I like platformers and multiplayer (not online).
  • Reply 43 of 80
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Well, if you are not counting games, then they have the highest quality hardware of the three - which is why Dead or Alive switched from PS2 to Xbox.

It could be argued, however, GT4 looks amazingly beautiful considering the outdated hardware. Also, Xbox is about 18X the size of the slim PS2, and came out with technology that was available at their later release date. Also, all of us Mac users also know that it is not just the speed and spec whore numbers that count, but total experience; Where probably Nintendo wins. If consoles could be upgraded, which I guess to some extent they are, with HDs, etc. then of course this would be mute, but one would have to assume that the latest one to the party should have the latest HW available, which should mean the best of all others...

On a side note, I wonder if the original Xbox controllers are about the same size as the new PS2??? Things that make you go Hmmmmmm....=)
  • Reply 44 of 80
    Quote:

For me, once you get past 10-20 good games you're just making noise.

I don't know about that - I like about 5% of the games out there - if you only had 20 games, I might not like any of them.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    I meant 10-20 games that an individual would consider good. Each individual would determine their own set.

So if there were 21 good GC games, 40 good PS2 games and 30 good XBox games that would be the same thing as far as I, specifically, would be concerned. It's just academic after that, how much can one person play?

But not everyone likes the same stuff.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    My tastes are specific enough so I feel that only the PS2 can cater to them, due to the large library of games. The Xbox would be a nice add on, and the gamecube lies dusty on a shelf.

I would like to play Zelda, but I bought it and the plastic wrap is still intact. Someday...
  • Reply 47 of 80
    1. sony is lame, true apple fanatics love nintendo because they both share a common goal: progression, instead of increasing market share.

2. half of that dudes list of favorite ps2 games are on other systems including gamecube

3. it has already been said that the ps3 will be overhyped and overrated. first of all im sure everyone here knows how much better ATI is then NVIDIA, NVIDIA is making the ps3 chip, ATI is making xbox and nintendo chip. the ps3 is a flop and the only thing keeping it alive is propaganda and the fanboys who are affected by propaganda.

4. sony is already getting its ass kicked by share holders because they have almost depleted their entire backup money gained from sonys history with other electronics in the past. sony is dead in the "other" electronic departments, the only thing they have left is videogames. sony makes STUPID decisions. nintendo is all about efficiency, nintendo are GENIUSES. nintendo is like the slick little genius hackers who know all the holes and does a quick in and out while sony is like a script kiddy moron trying a brute force crack for weeks. both achieve the same results, but the idiot is the one that brags and gets people to think hes 1337 and the genius is laughing and watching and plotting

5. sony is corporate scum, selfish and annoying. imagine if all 3 companies were innovation freaks. it would be heaven on earth, every system would be worth getting because they would each have something special about them

6. playstation controller sux and always has, xbox is decent, and gamecube controller is pure genius except for the z button like someone said

7. gamecube has the best games period. windwaker is genius, metroid is genius, resident evil 4 genius, paper mario genius. xbox only has ninja gaiden, halo is the most overrated POS ever and fable was a huge let down. playstation has NOTHING, absolutely nothing special. final fantasy has sucked since ff7, grand turismo is rehashed garbage, GTA is rehashed garbage. everything sony is overrated garbage

8. gamecube has the best graphics this generation. resident evil 4 seriously kicks any xbox game square in the ass, the only one that might come close is ninja gaiden which is also one of the best games ever created along with windwaker and re4

9. gamecube has the new zelda, nothing else needs to be said.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    I don't know what you're talking about with the PS3 being a flop (not even out yet) nor am I privvy to Sony executive ass-kicking, but I like the way you think.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    I guess that I am not a true apple fanatic then .

But I think that you are wrong about Apple wanting

greater market share.

NVIDIA and ATI are indistingishable, if you ignore the

short-term leapfrog effect.

Sony has 70 billion in revenue, and the PSP is looking

way better than the DS, and I don't see how Nintendo can

afford to make a better box than the PS3. Sony has spent

a whole bunch of money on custom processors that will not

be available to Microsoft or Nintendo. Microsoft is rumored

to be using a standard DVD drive in Xbox2, which sucks, and

Nintendo has a touch screen controller, which could be neat

but probably sucks. I don't think that Nintendo can

afford to compete with Sony in the long term. Sony has

much more resources, and stronger developer support (24

launch titles for the PSP).

I think that the gamecube appeals to a younger audience

than the playstation does, but both are fine. You really

need to own all three systems, so that you can buy whatever

game you like.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:

way better than the DS, and I don't see how Nintendo can

afford to make a better box than the PS3. Sony has spent

a whole bunch of money on custom processors that will not

be available to Microsoft or Nintendo.

What does PSP/DS have to do with PS3/Revolution?

Has Nintendo not spent "a whole bunch of money" on processors for Revolution?

Sony thrives off hype. That's why you hear all this crap about how amazing their "Cell" processors are. They are a hype factory. Case in point: PS2. Hyped out of the universe and turns out to be the least powerful of the Big 3.

So Sony turns around for the PS3, hypes it up and here come the fanboys spouting the rumors as truth.

Quote:

Microsoft is rumored to be using a standard DVD drive in Xbox2, which sucks, and Nintendo has a touch screen controller, which could be neat but probably sucks.

"Nintendo has"?

Learn the difference between stupid Internet rumors and fact.

Quote:

I don't think that Nintendo can afford to compete with Sony in the long term. Sony has much more resources, and stronger developer support (24 launch titles for the PSP).

Did you not see the link that above shows Nintendo is making almost twice as much profit as Sony off games?

Explain to me how a more profitable company cannot afford to compete with a competitor that makes less money.

Games are all Nintendo does. They are not going away. Sony has absolutely no focus, that's why so many of their pet projects fail.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

way better than the DS...

I guess I never pictured the DS being a direct competitor to the PSP. They're totally different in terms of thinking.

The DS stands for "Developer System" & "Dual Screen" which is meant as a new platform for developers to experiment with and try new things that wouldn't be possible with traditional hardware.

Have you seen any of the new stuff that Nintendo demoed at GDC? They're totally not "games" but a form of digital entertainment. The Electroplankton game was pure genius and put the system to good use.

The next Gameboy is going to be the competitor to the PSP. It's rumored to be basically a portable gamecube.

Think about it- backwards compatible with gamecube games and forwards compatible with the revolution. Play your old gamecube library on the new Gameboy, then play your gamecube and Gameboy library on your revolution. Everything will be crosscompoatible except for revolution games...
  • Reply 52 of 80
    Quote:

1. sony is lame, true apple fanatics love nintendo because they both share a common goal: progression, instead of increasing market share.

Strange, I thought that was the name of the game: increasing market share.

Quote:

2. half of that dudes list of favorite ps2 games are on other systems including gamecube

You are WRONG! The only game that is also on the Gamecube is Mortal Kombat, and it is obviously superior on the PS2/Xbox b/c of online play. You'll never see kickass games like God of War on the Gamecube.

Quote:

3. it has already been said that the ps3 will be overhyped and overrated. first of all im sure everyone here knows how much better ATI is then NVIDIA, NVIDIA is making the ps3 chip, ATI is making xbox and nintendo chip. the ps3 is a flop and the only thing keeping it alive is propaganda and the fanboys who are affected by propaganda.

Don't even get me started on this. nVidia is far superior than ATI when it comes the graphics and everything else. The 6800 Ultra beat the x800 hands down in all of the benchmarks I've seen. nVidia also makes superior drivers as well

Quote:

4. sony is already getting its ass kicked by share holders because they have almost depleted their entire backup money gained from sonys history with other electronics in the past. sony is dead in the "other" electronic departments, the only thing they have left is videogames. sony makes STUPID decisions. nintendo is all about efficiency, nintendo are GENIUSES. nintendo is like the slick little genius hackers who know all the holes and does a quick in and out while sony is like a script kiddy moron trying a brute force crack for weeks. both achieve the same results, but the idiot is the one that brags and gets people to think hes 1337 and the genius is laughing and watching and plotting

Well, obviously he's a genius too if he can get people to think he's elite when he's really not. And furthermore where did you get the information to back up these outrageous claims?

Quote:

5. sony is corporate scum, selfish and annoying. imagine if all 3 companies were innovation freaks. it would be heaven on earth, every system would be worth getting because they would each have something special about them

All corporations are selfish and annoying

Quote:

6. playstation controller sux and always has, xbox is decent, and gamecube controller is pure genius except for the z button like someone said

And who are you to pass this judgement? To me the Gamecube controller sucks b/c all of the buttons are in the wrong places. To each his own.

Quote:

7. gamecube has the best games period. windwaker is genius, metroid is genius, resident evil 4 genius, paper mario genius. xbox only has ninja gaiden, halo is the most overrated POS ever and fable was a huge let down. playstation has NOTHING, absolutely nothing special. final fantasy has sucked since ff7, grand turismo is rehashed garbage, GTA is rehashed garbage. everything sony is overrated garbage

You don't know what the hell your talking about. Halo is one of the best games ever. Paper Mario and Wind waker are trash. Mario sunshine is trash. everything on gamecube sux except resident evil,metroid 1&2,super smash brothers,fzero, and mario cart. And are you sure all of those PS2 games suck? Maybe they don't suck, you just suck at them.

Quote:

8. gamecube has the best graphics this generation. resident evil 4 seriously kicks any xbox game square in the ass, the only one that might come close is ninja gaiden which is also one of the best games ever created along with windwaker and re4

Again, wind waker is overrated garbage. I don't understand why Gamecubers (new word) get so excited over this game. I can't get past the stupid cell shaded graphics. It works with DBZ Budokai but not with this game

Quote:

9. gamecube has the new zelda, nothing else needs to be said.

The only thing I agree with you on
  • Reply 53 of 80
    Quote:

You don't know what the hell your talking about. Halo is one of the best games ever. Paper Mario and Wind waker are trash. Mario sunshine is trash. everything on gamecube sux except resident evil,metroid 1&2,super smash brothers,fzero, and mario cart. And are you sure all of those PS2 games suck? Maybe they don't suck, you just suck at them.

The irony is thick. I love teenagers, so dense, yet so vehement.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    Argue amongst yourselves. I'm too busy playing Ridge Racer & THUG2 on the PSP to bother.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    Ridge Racer is pretty damned fun on the PSP. Racing games don't hold my attention for very long, though, or else I might be tempted to buy one of my own.

The price tag is just a bit too steep at this point for me.

Thank God for my student employees who bring all their toys to work.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Ridge Racer is pretty damned fun on the PSP. Racing games don't hold my attention for very long, though, or else I might be tempted to buy one of my own.

The price tag is just a bit too steep at this point for me.

Thank God for my student employees who bring all their toys to work.

I haven't done an ounce of work today. This is the best money I have spent in a long time.

Now I'm stuck playing Lumines. Sick. This is going to be worse that when I got an original Gameboy and Tetris.

I'm fucked if they release Katamari Damacy for the PSP.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

This is going to be worse that when I got an original Gameboy and Tetris.

Nothing could ever top that. To this day I have a Gameboy color by my bed to play Tetris.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Protostar

[B]Strange, I thought that was the name of the game: increasing market share.

that might be the name of the game in your corrupt little mind but sometimes i like to believe there are still people with souls left in the world

Quote:

You are WRONG! The only game that is also on the Gamecube is Mortal Kombat, and it is obviously superior on the PS2/Xbox b/c of online play. You'll never see kickass games like God of War on the Gamecube.

dbz is out or about to come out for gamecube and xbox, GTA is out or about to come out for xbox (i dont keep up)

Quote:

Don't even get me started on this. nVidia is far superior than ATI when it comes the graphics and everything else. The 6800 Ultra beat the x800 hands down in all of the benchmarks I've seen. nVidia also makes superior drivers as well

6800 did not beat the x800 in all benchmarks, they beat eachother in certain categories, over all however ATI owns nvidia, this is proven by gamecube, this is proven by apple laptops, this is proven by history. also, dont just compare 2 chips and then assume that is valid justification

Quote:

Well, obviously he's a genius too if he can get people to think he's elite when he's really not. And furthermore where did you get the information to back up these outrageous claims?

wow that is pathetic logic at its best

Quote:

All corporations are selfish.

i like to think nintendo isnt completely selfish, apple also isnt selfish but theyre very slowly heading in that direction, hopefuly these are just small exceptions in a sea of goodness. money without a doubt corrupts, and no human in any of their positions would act different, however, nintendo IMO has proven itself to be very honorable

Quote:

And who are you to pass this judgement? To me the Gamecube controller sucks b/c all of the buttons are in the wrong places. To each his own.

i am above you, thats why i can pass judgement. you like the playstation controller cuz thats what youve been using for the past 10 years

Quote:

wind waker is one of the greatest games EVER. you actually feel like youre living the life of a cartoon character, it was GENIUS and one of the most addicting games ive ever played in my life along with ninja gaiden and RE4, paper mario is also one of the highest rated games and its not even completely 3d lmao, halo was the most overrated garbage i have ever played and it was very easy aside from that fact. im very dissapointed to hear that you consider halo the best, this just shows how well propaganda works in america. waiting for (literally)10 minutes for elevators to go down because of loading, walking back and forth waiting for enemies to pop out when the loading is finished, no bosses, same character models, levels and vehicles as part 1, and i could go on forever. multiplayer is decent however

Quote:

Again, wind waker is overrated garbage. I don't understand why Gamecubers (new word) get so excited over this game. I can't get past the stupid cell shaded graphics. It works with DBZ Budokai but not with this game

the cell shading works with dbz and zelda both you are just a rectum licker for sony, the cell shading is a lot more realistic for zelda also and IMO zelda is one of the most UNDERRATED games ever
  • Reply 59 of 80
    Quote:

What does PSP/DS have to do with PS3/Revolution?

My point was that Sony is beating Nintendo in their strongest area - the gameboy.

I got my PSP last night - sweet! I am playing "untold legends" (like Baldur's gate/CoN). The only complaint is that due to the lack of a full button compliment, rotating the camera is awkward. Also, the headphone cable gets in the way of your hand a bit as you hold it.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    Quote:

My point was that Sony is beating Nintendo in their strongest area - the gameboy.

Is the PSP beating the gameboy?

(DS != gameboy)