Where to go in the States

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    midwinter you are right (and so is Bill)

If I travel 50 miles to York (form where I live) it is considered a "day out" and warrants special attention and preparation. (Usually my wife taking it as an excuse to have shopping spire)

Ha us brits are such wimps

j.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

midwinter you are right (and so is Bill)

If I travel 50 miles to York (form where I live) it is considered a "day out" and warrants special attention and preparation. (Usually my wife taking it as an excuse to have shopping spire)

Ha us brits are such wimps

j.

Heh. When I lived in Oklahoma, I would routinely drive the 80 miles from where I lived to Tulsa just to go to the bookstore.

Hell, now I'll drive 45 minutes to go to Borders in Salt Lake City. SLC, like New York, is a town you could spend a whole day in and not see it all!!

And for all ya'll recommending Denver. Feh. There is no place more inclusive and accepting of outsiders than Utah, and everyone knows that.

And it's the most beauiful place on Earth.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    The whole question is kinda like asking "where should I go in Europe?"

There just isn't any ONE place that you HAVE to go to... no matter where you go, there will be fun things to do (and work available) ... there's also no one place you can go that will give you an accurate picture of "the USA" as a whole.

My personal recommendation for a US vacation would be Guam, but what do I know ?
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Advance The Man

Several cities in Florida would fit the bill. South Florida (Miami, West Palm, Ft Lauderdale). Tampa/Clearwater. The panhandle with Destin is becoming very hip. Orlando can be a fun town even with the tourists. Jacksonville Beach has a great atmosphere with tons of golf around.

I was just going to suggest Clearwater Beach and Indian Rocks Beach area. Sand down there is like flour.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

The whole question is kinda like asking "where should I go in Europe?"

There just isn't any ONE place that you HAVE to go to... no matter where you go, there will be fun things to do (and work available) ... there's also no one place you can go that will give you an accurate picture of "the USA" as a whole.

My personal recommendation for a US vacation would be Guam, but what do I know ?

Europe??? ITALY. All over Italy. I miss that place. Great people and grrrrrrreeeeeeaaaaaaat food.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Thanks for all the replies so far, it's really fascinating and very helpful. I do realise how big America is and don't imagine that I can see everything this time round. I wonder how many Americans (apart from politicians) have seen everywhere in the US?

Just to clarify, the plan is that I work somewhere for 2-3 months and then hopefully travel for 3-4 weeks afterwards.

Thanks for all the help so far, I look forward to hearing other views and to visiting your country.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by david_oc

I wonder how many Americans (apart from politicians) have seen everywhere in the US?

Well, the filthy rich in a few cases, if they're interested, and that's about it.

Think of it this way: most New Yorkers only know a few areas/neighborhoods within the city intimately, their knowledge of the rest of the city lies somewhere between casual acquaintance to complete oblivity. I think only a few people at the top positions in NYC government know the entire city.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by david_oc

Thanks for all the replies so far, it's really fascinating and very helpful. I do realise how big America is and don't imagine that I can see everything this time round. I wonder how many Americans (apart from politicians) have seen everywhere in the US?

Just to clarify, the plan is that I work somewhere for 2-3 months and then hopefully travel for 3-4 weeks afterwards.

Thanks for all the help so far, I look forward to hearing other views and to visiting your country.

In 3-4 weeks, you could easily do the Northeastern US (NYC, Boston, Philly, DC). I'd do 4-5 days in each city.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    Just avoid the RED STATES!
  • Reply 30 of 47
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwondo

Just avoid the RED STATES!

If you want to see anything other than buildings, you have to visit the red states. Most of the natural wonder of the US is found in red states.

Here are some places that you may want to visit, that I like:

Savannah, Georgia (see "Midnight in the garden of good and Evil" movie to see a bit of it)

Utah - the whole state is awe inspiring

San Juan Islands in Washington State, Saltspring Islands in BC, Victoria, Vancouver.

Eastern Canada (Quebec and the atlantic provinces) - driving distance from the North East US for a very long weekend.

Cape Cod - near Boston

Blue Ridge parkway - North Carolina
  • Reply 31 of 47
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Hell, now I'll drive 45 minutes to go to Borders in Salt Lake City. SLC, like New York, is a town you could spend a whole day in and not see it all!!

You must live in Provo? My daughter is going to school in Nephi.

Last year I took a driving trip from Las Vegas to SLC - it was amazing. We have nothing that awe-inspiring in NC.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Last year I took a driving trip from Las Vegas to SLC - it was amazing. We have nothing that awe-inspiring in NC.

The West is the best, baby! Move on over to earthquake country.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:

If you want to see anything other than buildings, you have to visit the red states. Most of the natural wonder of the US is found in red states.

I dunno that I would say most of the natural wonder is red states or that you have to visit them [to see natural wonder]. A majority certainly is red. But there is plenty of beautiful in blue states. Four of the five West Coast states: Hawaii, California, Oregon, and Washington are blue. Obviously Alaska is not. The great lakes and northern atlantic [Maine is probably my favorite Eastern state for scenery] states are blue as well.

I guess I would say go to Portland Oregon if you are into outdoorsy stuff and Boston Massachusetts if you are into urban fun. Boston is a cool city with some history and close access to most of the major NE cities. Not that Portland is rural or something but generally the Western third of the US is where the standout scenery can be found. Portland is a nice safe city with good transit and affordable housing.

I would look for university areas maybe regardless of where you go as you may be able to sublet a student's apartment while they are gone for the summer.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

*shudder* Provo?!? Heh. I don't think I have the qualifications for living in Provo. I'm at the north end of the SLC metro area in Ogden.

And yup, we sure have some pretty scenery around here!
  • Reply 35 of 47
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Quote:

If you want to see anything other than buildings, you have to visit the red states.

I totally disagree. Hell, just in New York you have the greatest city in the world, one of the world's greatest public beaches, the Hudson River Valley and the Adirondacs.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

I totally disagree. Hell, just in New York you have the greatest city in the world, one of the world's greatest public beaches...

You really need to get out of the city more often.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

don't touch indiana.

As a life long prisoner...er...uh...resident...yea...resident...I FULLY AGREE!

although Indianapolis does hold the only US F1 Grand Prix every year. (and that little indy 500 thing too)
  • Reply 38 of 47
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Since you are planning on staying in one place for a stretch, I'd recommend somewhere along the west coast. IMO, the pacific NW (specifically seattle, maybe portland) has the broadest range of scenery and stuff to do (huge mountains, ocean, modern cities, small towns). And when you start travelling, you could just go down through california and then shoot east to hit the desert. An alternative would be to spend the stretch in california and then travel east into the rockies. With a trip like that, you'll get a good representation of the rest of the country and see a whole lot of cool places. In fact, if you are travelling for 3-4 weeks, you could do a really nice road trip to see all of highlights of the west.

Know that if you go to NY, all you really get is NY. NY is great, but it's not a good place to go if you want to experience the US. Anywhere in the south east is probably boring to visit unless you actually have specific stuff you want to do. As for the whole middle of the country, it's just scenery to drive through even for most americans. Sure, there is some amazing stuff there, but it's very spread out and you really have to know what you are doing.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

I totally disagree. Hell, just in New York you have the greatest city in the world, one of the world's greatest public beaches, the Hudson River Valley and the Adirondacs.

New York state is actually packed with a lot of things to see, but the real point that I've been pressing is that without a car or a disposition to hitch-hike, you need to stick to places that have good access by trains and planes. There are actually some Amtrak lines that go through upstate New York, and continue to exist despite the fact that they are fiscally foolish endeavors. (subsidies) The only place in the country that has a semi-decent train system is the Northeast.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Anywhere in the south east is probably boring to visit unless you actually have specific stuff you want to do.

But! but! but! What if he wants to eat real grits? Or chitlins? Or go to a tent revival? Or get told "Boy, ya'll shore dooo tawk fuhnny ov' thar. Hey. It true ya'll got, uh, them little green people lahk whuts own thu' cold cereal bawkses?" by people who don't know him.

Quote:

As for the whole middle of the country, it's just scenery to drive through even for most americans. Sure, there is some amazing stuff there, but it's very spread out and you really have to know what you are doing.

I beg to differ. One could, accidentally, go to the cowboy hall of fame. Or get lost in Russell, KS looking for Bob Dole stuff. Or watch center-pivot irrigation systems in western Kansas!