Bill Gates gives $450 million to medical research

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

You don't think you're being cantankerous, by any chance?

A little.

But it still stands that MS is hardly some demon out in the real world. It's more of an Internet nerd battle.

People can dismiss Gates' charity work all they want, but it is absolutely tremendous.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

...an Internet nerd battle.

Begun, this nerd war has.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    $458K+ is a lot of dough any way you cut it. It will be of incredible help to the agencies using it. No matter who it comes from and what the motives were behind giving it.

I have no love or devotion to B. Gates, or for that matter, S. Jobs and Co. Niether one has ever invited me over for dinner despite the THOUSANDS of dollars I've spent over the years between both company's products. Especially Apple... Bahhh...
  • Reply 24 of 37
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    I'll give the proper respect to Bill Gates. In the world of Rich People Extreme, he is as philanthropic as it gets, and sees it as his duty to be so. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is a $3 billion charity, and they put it all into the right causes. Very progressive causes. He has my respect.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

I'll give the proper respect to Bill Gates. In the world of Rich People Extreme, he is as philanthropic as it gets, and sees it as his duty to be so. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is a $3 billion charity, and they put it all into the right causes. Very progressive causes. He has my respect.

According to gatesfoundation.org, it is a $28 billion charity. Only $7 billion has been committed since it was started in 2000. That's over $25 million a week.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    First of all, the contribution constitutes about 1.5% of his current net worth. You might think that's nothing, but for someone with a net worth of say $350,000, that would be $5200.00

not a monumental amount, but it's certainly not something to sneeze at.

Furthermore, I couldn't care less what his motivation, what his agenda, or what I might think about his business "practices." $450 Million is real money. It will do real good.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    My understanding is that gates gave about a third of his wealth in microsoft stock to the foundation (msnbc article, for instance).

Also, I've read that he plans to give 90% of it away eventually.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    I think that's great. I just hope he has some form of control over how the money is used or disbursed and not leave it up to people with connections/ties to the pharmaceutical companies and all of the labs and universities they already "control".
  • Reply 29 of 37
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

I think that's great. I just hope he has some form of control over how the money is used or disbursed and not leave it up to people with connections/ties to the pharmaceutical companies and all of the labs and universities they already "control".

I am sure, that B Gates, will be able to control this issue. He is a skilled manager, and I think that it's very difficult to fool him.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I am sure, that B Gates, will be able to control this issue. He is a skilled manager, and I think that it's very difficult to fool him.

certainly there might be some loopholes, but running a huge non-profit/ foundation-type organisation, there is a lot of regulation to comply with.

i worked in greenpeace australia for a year, charities and non-profits and stuff, a lot of credibility and good will is at stake so you normally want to play according to the rules
  • Reply 31 of 37
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    I am amazed at how people attack Bill Gates every time he donates to charities. This ?He only gave 1% of his total worth? is insane. The man does not have to give a single dime to anyone yet he, on a regular basis, gives millions of dollars to charities every year. In fact for a man worth 75 billion, he has donated nearly 17 billion in recent years. And to that point here are but just a few examples of his generosity.

100 Million to India for Aid?s research

750 Million to Global Alliance For Vaccine and Immunizations

1.1 Million to L.A. Libraries and Schools

3 Million of his own personal money to his foundation

Oh yea 450 Million to Medical Research

I don?t like Microsoft as a company. M$ and Bill Gates business practices should be investigated even further. But that being said the man has been very generous with his money. To attack him on this issue only shows hate that a person has inside. I think people really need to stop looking at the ?%? sign and be grateful that someone with his wealth is so willing to help the world. You know does not have to do any of this Free press or not.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

I am amazed at how people attack Bill Gates every time he donates to charities. This ?He only gave 1% of his total worth? is insane. The man does not have to give a single dime to anyone yet he, on a regular basis, gives millions of dollars to charities every year. In fact for a man worth 75 billion, he has donated nearly 17 billion in recent years. And to that point here are but just a few examples of his generosity.

100 Million to India for Aid?s research

750 Million to Global Alliance For Vaccine and Immunizations

1.1 Million to L.A. Libraries and Schools

3 Million of his own personal money to his foundation

Oh yea 450 Million to Medical Research

I don?t like Microsoft as a company. M$ and Bill Gates business practices should be investigated even further. But that being said the man has been very generous with his money. To attack him on this issue only shows hate that a person has inside. I think people really need to stop looking at the ?%? sign and be grateful that someone with his wealth is so willing to help the world. You know does not have to do any of this Free press or not.

Agreed. I have a feeling if I was that rich... I'd probably get REALLY corrupted and keep all the money.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    star wars episode 3. very powerful message, my friends. this is not off-topic, trust me
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

star wars episode 3. very powerful message, my friends. this is not off-topic, trust me

Darnit! I am going to simply have to swear off ALL forms of internet and media for the next 24 hours. I DON'T want to know!
  • Reply 35 of 37
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    I think I had more respect for Gates when he set up the foundation. By law, we know what has to happen to the money. But pushing out to the media where the money is going sort of seems like "Look at me!" What's that phrase? You can't buy publicity like this?

All the same, good will come of it, even though the motive of the man is questionable.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Darnit! I am going to simply have to swear off ALL forms of internet and media for the next 24 hours. I DON'T want to know!

bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
  • Reply 37 of 37
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Who cares what his motivation is or what the percentage of his wealth or Microsoft's worth this amount constitutes. People's lives will be saved by this money.

Agreed. It's a good thing. Someone here or a family member will benifit from that $$$ he laid down.