Apple switch to Intel feasible, but highly unlikely

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Apple would be eaten alive in the x86 market. Many of the OEM's in the x86 market are eating each other alive.

Intel can be inside of a Macintoch if they go PowerPC, which isn't likely to happen. But Apple can't leave its faithful developers hanging in the wind either.

I'm sure limited PowerPC chips are coming out of IBM because Apple is the largest customer and doesn't sell enough volume to justify IBM spending time and money on large volume PPC production.

With the three major game consoles using Power PC, I think we will suddenly see a huge increase in waffer production. As Power PC volume will increase in general.

Apple has supported PowerPC all this time and would be foolish to abandon it when it is about to bear fruit and gain traction.

I think Apple should go in the other direction. Apple needs help in spreading OSX and Power PC. To increase OSX market share and increase PPC production volume.

At least license OSX Server to IBM and HP to be run on PowerPC iron for business. Those two are far more successful in enterprise than Apple will be alone. OSX can easily and elegantly work in conjuntion with Linux which is gaining momentum on Windows in the enterprise world.

Even more bold would be to license OSX to Sony. Sony seems ready to embrace PowerPC. Sony designs nice hardware and does not sell its computers at Dell prices under cutting Apple's sales.

OSX on a Power PC Viao.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Even more bold would be to license OSX to Sony. Sony seems ready to embrace PowerPC. Sony designs nice hardware and does not sell its computers at Dell prices under cutting Apple's sales.

....OSX on a Power PC Viao.

totally agree

playstation3 on Cell

Vaio on PowerPC with OSX

wake the f8ck up, Sony, and get with the program..!

edit. various advantages to this:

1. get OSX on a wider range of hardware

2. without diluting sex appeal of the mac

3. start to see some kickass sony-apple collaboration
  • Reply 43 of 80
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gmac

Huh??

Apple was one of the first PC makers to support wifi and bluetooth. All their laptops now come with wifi standard (not true on the PC side) and most of their computers come with bluetooth standard or it can be added BTO. How many PC's have bluetooth included?

But they are both included as expensive, relatively large addon cards, which is behind the times. If they are going to include them in every computer, build it onto the motherboard in a single chip, not via mini-PCI cards with extra circuitry, connectors and engineering. If they can fit a WiFi chip into an SD card for use in a Palm, sticking that on the motherboard would save a lot.

The current solution probably costs Apple ten times what a chip on the motherboard does.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gmac

Huh??

Apple was one of the first PC makers to support wifi and bluetooth. All their laptops now come with wifi standard (not true on the PC side) and most of their computers come with bluetooth standard or it can be added BTO. How many PC's have bluetooth included?

It would be nice if you actually take the time to read through something before you bother to post.

I never said that Apple wasn't the first to use some of these technologies. I said that the way they do use them is wasteful, and overly expensive. If they did it right, it could be standard across all lines instead of still being an option on several of them.

It could bring the price of a Powerbook or an iBook down by as much as $100.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

was going to give you the smackdown for over-enthusiasm but nah, no worries mate

welcome to AppleInsider

the PPC IBM architecture IS very promising, we Mac fans are just waiting to reap the rewards... SOON !!

OK I will try again !!!

I really like PPC, I know much MORE about it than Intels new chips (But I assume Intel copied it.), have NO problems with it accept not including Intel in the mix is BAD for Apple -- I don't buy all the Apple gets eaten in the Intel market they ALL compete NOW no matter how much MACsters dislike that idea !?!?!?!

WHY WILL INTEL BE USED...

The original road map for Mac OSs before Jobs took over...

When Jobs took over he fulfilled ALL of the goals for system 9 aka Copland...

AND many of the goals for system 10 aka Gershwin !!!

About the ONLY things that remain are multi-core processors and PROCESSOR INDEPENDENCE !!!!!!!!

I THINK ITS COMING.

I just have a VERY BIG way of looking at Apple, MUCH BIGGER then MS<-- "The Sith" could ever be.

BESIDES my point remains, PPC for gaming clients all sorts of processors for gaming servers -- GO FIGURE !!!
  • Reply 46 of 80
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Macchine, you do realize that Intel's dual-core chips are crap, right? You do realize that Sun is using Opteron chips from AMD, right? Not Intel? That most experts consider Intel to be a solid year behind AMD when it comes to dual-core technology?

Switching to Intel now would be like cancelling your cruise ticket in 1982 and boarding the Admiral Belgrano.

Just a suggestion, cut back on the exclams and caps. Maybe a wee bit more tomato juice in the bloody mary's, too.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by MACchine

OK I will try again !!!

I really like PPC, I know much MORE about it than Intels new chips (But I assume Intel copied it.), have NO problems with it accept not including Intel in the mix is BAD for Apple -- I don't buy all the Apple gets eaten in the Intel market they ALL compete NOW no matter how much MACsters dislike that idea !?!?!?!

About the ONLY things that remain are multi-core processors and PROCESSOR INDEPENDENCE !!!!!!!!

I THINK ITS COMING.

I just have a VERY BIG way of looking at Apple, MUCH BIGGER then MS<-- "The Sith" could ever be.

BESIDES my point remains, PPC for gaming clients all sorts of processors for gaming servers -- GO FIGURE !!!

Huh?
  • Reply 48 of 80
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I THINK ITS COMING.

I don't like shooting once more this dead horse, but here it is very briefly. It is NOT ONLY the OS that needs to be adapted to the new processor technology. It is too a whole mountain of software from other companies and developers that will need to be re-written. Such a transition is so huge at this point, that it does not make sense to talk about. Unless Apple is about to die, which doesn't seems to be the case.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I don't buy all the Apple gets eaten in the Intel market they ALL compete NOW no matter how much MACsters dislike that idea !?!?!?!

Windows is on probably about 95% of the x86 market.

Dell is I think around 60% of the x86 market.

OSX and Macintosh would start at 0% of the x86 market.

How does Apple not get eaten alive?
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:

Dell is actually around 35% of the PC market. But that's still a lot.

None of this matters, because it's just not gonna happen.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    well, we might start to rule out apple talking to intel for a h.264 hardware decoder, because (see dutchpears post somewhere else ) ATi will probably come to the game

and luckily apple seems to have buried the hatchet with regards to ATi

btw (and if you'll indulge my somewhat off-topic rant) i'm happy that nVidia has the PS3 locked in, and SLI stuff in pc-gamer-land... but..

a solid ATi for Mac 2d/3d/h.264 offering should be in the market possibly by Macworld SF 2006, but certainly sometime 2006.

the better GPU whining is not going to stop but that is at least a processor pipeline that we all mac users have the benefit of 20/20 foresight since the pc-gamers are pushing the early adoption very hard on that side...

other than the bloody nebulous IBM pipeline ~ sheesh, i understand why they did it but the market would not have bought it 10 or even 5 years ago ~ microsoft running "xbox360" demos off apple powermac g5s, sony showing video clips "announcing" it's new hardware

edit: again i'm too lazy to put the Ati press release link here, but they cite h.264 as being "used in blu-ray and hd-dvd" ... if ATi implements h.264 hardware decoding on-the-video-card well, it would mean that apple has placed its bets really really well with h.264

edit2: it is interesting that almost 10 years later nicholas negroponte's Being Digital is showing some real-world application 8) in the sense that computer technologies are showing that the sort of NTSC vs PAL, VHS vs Betamax, Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD is so pointless... when you bet on the computer side of the computer-television convergence thingy
  • Reply 52 of 80
    Quote:

well, we might start to rule out apple talking to intel for a h.264 hardware decoder, because (see dutchpears post somewhere else ) ATi will probably come to the game

and luckily apple seems to have buried the hatchet with regards to ATi

btw (and if you'll indulge my somewhat off-topic rant) i'm happy that nVidia has the PS3 locked in, and SLI stuff in pc-gamer-land... but..

a solid ATi for Mac 2d/3d/h.264 offering should be in the market possibly by Macworld SF 2006, but certainly sometime 2006.

the better GPU whining is not going to stop but that is at least a processor pipeline that we all mac users have the benefit of 20/20 foresight since the pc-gamers are pushing the early adoption very hard on that side...

other than the bloody nebulous IBM pipeline ~ sheesh, i understand why they did it but the market would not have bought it 10 or even 5 years ago ~ microsoft running "xbox360" demos off apple powermac g5s, sony showing video clips "announcing" it's new hardware

edit: again i'm too lazy to put the Ati press release link here, but they cite h.264 as being "used in blu-ray and hd-dvd" ... if ATi implements h.264 hardware decoding on-the-video-card well, it would mean that apple has placed its bets really really well with h.264

edit2: it is interesting that almost 10 years later nicholas negroponte's Being Digital is showing some real-world application 8) in the sense that computer technologies are showing that the sort of NTSC vs PAL, VHS vs Betamax, Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD is so pointless... when you bet on the computer side of the computer-television convergence thingy

Don't forget that HD has many decoding standards. WMA being one of them.

MS has been very generous in getting it's standard for HD in place. They have paid for Sony HD camera rentals for movie production, and supplied software engineers to the crews to get them to use the MS software compression properly. This has engendered a good deal of enthusiasm for MS's standards.

Apple should spend some of their money and do this as well. They are much too lay back. They should be pushing.

An example is Firewire on hi-def tv's. It was the standard. Now it's not. HDMI is. One reason is that 400 and even 800 is not as bandwidth enabled as it needs to be. This is an Apple developed standard. We were supposed to be at 1600 already. Where is it? Apple has to work on (almost afraid to say it!) a systemwide DRM. Without that nothing they will do will be accepted by the industry. MS is doing this successfully. As much as we hate it, it's got to be done. Even in hardware.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Don't forget that HD has many decoding standards. WMA being one of them.

MS has been very generous in getting it's standard for HD in place. They have paid for Sony HD camera rentals for movie production, and supplied software engineers to the crews to get them to use the MS software compression properly. This has engendered a good deal of enthusiasm for MS's standards.

Apple should spend some of their money and do this as well. They are much too lay back. They should be pushing.

An example is Firewire on hi-def tv's. It was the standard. Now it's not. HDMI is. One reason is that 400 and even 800 is not as bandwidth enabled as it needs to be. This is an Apple developed standard. We were supposed to be at 1600 already. Where is it? Apple has to work on (almost afraid to say it!) a systemwide DRM. Without that nothing they will do will be accepted by the industry. MS is doing this successfully. As much as we hate it, it's got to be done. Even in hardware.

i accept your point dude, though these words all used together send shivers down my spine too:

-apple

-microsoft

-hdmi

-drm

-hardware

-systemwide drm

• Reply 54 of 80
    Quote:

i accept your point dude, though these words all used together send shivers down my spine too:

-apple

-microsoft

-hdmi

-drm

-hardware

-systemwide drm

I know. But we all live in the same world. We have to make the best of it.

Some of it bothers me too.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I don't like shooting once more this dead horse, but here it is very briefly. It is NOT ONLY the OS that needs to be adapted to the new processor technology. It is too a whole mountain of software from other companies and developers that will need to be re-written. Such a transition is so huge at this point, that it does not make sense to talk about. Unless Apple is about to die, which doesn't seems to be the case.

Actually if BOTH processors are on the MACchine then there is no need for a recompile, exotic hardware design.

I have used a few MACchines like this although I am thinking of a design where both processors are native NOT daughter cards.

But another VERY GOOD reason for Apple to go processor independent is so that Cocoa and Xcode go multi-platform which it needs soo badly.

Of course if Xcode compiles to an platform then its just a recompile no big deal.

But truly there are already soo many development environments that already do this the point is barely worth mentioning.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    Quote:

VERY EASY !!! You better 0% buy selling one copy.

Dell sucks don't you think those PC people would like some quality and variety.

Sony supplied this for a while but they now suck badly as well.

Apple would have to find a way to engineer for value with cheap faulty hardware, it can be done and NOT the way Dell does it.

Put OS X on the same platform that will run Windows and how many users would settle for running Winwods afterwards -- NOT MANY !!!

I have heard this winey stuff since system 4, but Apple ALWAYS comes out shining if they find the courage to compete.

I think many of you people have forgotten about the "think different" campaign.

I play this EVERY DAY ALL DAY LONG !!!

http://www.theapplecollection.com/Co...ThinkDiff.html

And ALL those Switch commercials, I married Feisi.

ACTUALLY MICROSOFT WOULD GET EATEN ALIVE IF APPLE EVER SHIPPED OS X FOR INLET.

You see, many PC users not having any respect for Apple and disliking them would copy Mac OS X bootleg it just to feel superior to Apple and in control of their fate.

And then after having done this wonder why they should bother actually PAYING MS for their CRAP when they can get this nice OS for FREE.

The result would be that MS would have HUGE AND MASSIVE LOSS of market share.

Apple would still have growth just because the market is so much bigger then Apple's current market.

And then at some point in the future many of the bootleggers, some being large corporate sites or people involved with such would become switchers thus the Mac revolution would live on !!!

See how SMALL your vision for Apple is MINE IS HUGE and much bigger then MS could ever be !!!!!!!!

Bigger because this is all the basis for new thinking MACchines with processors customized for object oriented OSs and consumer devices that think, Apple would probably merge with Disney and buy Sun and Sony at some point.

Pixar would become the management head of this large company.

All product development would be done with story boarding software and all work would be prototyped in virtual worlds before automated prototyping begins.

Virtual cities would be built and people would live there. Bodies would be exercised with Electrical Muscle Stimulation, all food consumption would be simulated with electrical stimulation of the gut. Your ultimate matrix would exist and prove to be so efficient and wondrous no one would want to live anywhere else...

... while man kind goes to sleep the planet would be saved and turned into a garden.

• Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:

Actually if BOTH processors are on the MACchine then there is no need for a recompile, exotic hardware design.

I have used a few MACchines like this although I am thinking of a design where both processors are native NOT daughter cards.

But another VERY GOOD reason for Apple to go processor independent is so that Cocoa and Xcode go multi-platform which it needs soo badly.

Of course if Xcode compiles to an platform then its just a recompile no big deal.

But truly there are already soo many development environments that already do this the point is barely worth mentioning.

No. That's wrong. Programs will have to be re-compiled. I can't figure out why you would think otherwise. Even the most ardent advocates admit to that.

Even re-compiling programs won't be the end to it. If you can remember Office 6 for the Mac, you will remember it's dreadful performance, and how it had poor support for Apple technologies. That was because it was a basic port from the x86 version. Of course, it was also coming from Windows. But Office today is much changed. It's been totally rewritten and coded directly on this platform.

What this means is that programs will have to go through a good of hand optimisation before they can be released. It's unlikely that Apple will be so lucky as to get developers en mass to do that. And then what happens to those who still have PPC machines? Will there be one version of the software, or will developers have to maintain two?

Forget it. You are not thinking this through.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    Quote:

VERY EASY !!! You better 0% buy selling one copy.

Dell sucks don't you think those PC people would like some quality and variety.

Sony supplied this for a while but they now suck badly as well.

Apple would have to find a way to engineer for value with cheap faulty hardware, it can be done and NOT the way Dell does it.

Put OS X on the same platform that will run Windows and how many users would settle for running Winwods afterwards -- NOT MANY !!!

I have heard this winey stuff since system 4, but Apple ALWAYS comes out shining if they find the courage to compete.

I think many of you people have forgotten about the "think different" campaign.

I play this EVERY DAY ALL DAY LONG !!!

http://www.theapplecollection.com/Co...ThinkDiff.html

And ALL those Switch commercials, I married Feisi.

ACTUALLY MICROSOFT WOULD GET EATEN ALIVE IF APPLE EVER SHIPPED OS X FOR INLET.

You see, many PC users not having any respect for Apple and disliking them would copy Mac OS X bootleg it just to feel superior to Apple and in control of their fate.

And then after having done this wonder why they should bother actually PAYING MS for their CRAP when they can get this nice OS for FREE.

The result would be that MS would have HUGE AND MASSIVE LOSS of market share.

Apple would still have growth just because the market is so much bigger then Apple's current market.

And then at some point in the future many of the bootleggers, some being large corporate sites or people involved with such would become switchers thus the Mac revolution would live on !!!

See how SMALL your vision for Apple is MINE IS HUGE and much bigger then MS could ever be !!!!!!!!

Bigger because this is all the basis for new thinking MACchines with processors customized for object oriented OSs and consumer devices that think, Apple would probably merge with Disney and buy Sun and Sony at some point.

Pixar would become the management head of this large company.

All product development would be done with story boarding software and all work would be prototyped in virtual worlds before automated prototyping begins.

Virtual cities would be built and people would live there. Bodies would be exercised with Electrical Muscle Stimulation, all food consumption would be simulated with electrical stimulation of the gut. Your ultimate matrix would exist and prove to be so efficient and wondrous no one would want to live anywhere else...

... while man kind goes to sleep the planet would be saved and turned into a garden.

This long post isn't much better than your last one.

The PC market is much different that the Mac market is. Apple might well double or even triple their market share over the next few years if they play their cards right.

Apple could come out with a computer that matched a low cost Dell if they wanted to, but they won't, because they don't.

If Apple somehow did decide to make x86 machines, they won't be clones of Dells in pricing or looks. Apple isn't interested in that. You see the Mini. That's Apple's idea of an inexpensive machine. Most PC buyers won't touch something like that.

It doesn't require Intel processors to make an inexpensive, competitive machine. It requires the interest to do so.

While some of your post borders on satire (intentional, I hope), it also borders on fringe fanaticism. Pixar heading up the company? You do know that Pixar uses Dell machines to do it's rendering, don't you?

Until Apple gets out of the rut of believing that they "aren't good with the (top) 500 (companies)" as Jobs just stated in the D conference, they won't get too far. This has nothing to do with Intel (or AMD). It does have to do with competitiveness and multiple sourcing.

Stop thinking about the wonders of living within "The Matrix", and come back and live where everyone else is.

And stop using so many capitals, it's annoying to read.
  • Reply 59 of 80
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

If IBM doesn't get it's ass in gear and deliver by end of this year,

I want the Kamino-ans to make the next Apple CPUs

They whipped up a massive clone army (and just wondering... where did all the ships and hardware come from ???) in like what 10+ years?

btw

i wonder why the Emperor after episode 3, before episode 4, essentially stopped using clone army? it all evolved into stormtroopers, disposable tie fighters, massive fleet of star destroyers.... which is cool, but why they dropped the clones? maybe the rebels took out clone production facilities...? \

Ummmm....because Lucas is making this all up as he goes? Whatever plot twist permits the use of the most CGI - and the most merchandising - Lucas jumps on.

I think Lucas made Darth Vader into a tool because Lucas himself has become a tool - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO1!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!111111 1111!!!!!!!!1111
  • Reply 60 of 80
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Just don't turn this into one of those "Can you believe Han doesn't shoot first anymore!" whine-fests!

Well that does change Han's character just a wee bit now, doesn't it?

We saw him transform from a swashbuckling intergalactic bad-ass into a pussy who lets some lizard get off a shot at him first. If Greedo hadn't had the aim of a blind man, Solo would have been fried. There's a whole other can of worms - Greedo missing Han by about 3 feet when sitting across from him at a tiny bar table. This is the best Jabba can find? I though a sinister bad dude like Jabba would only hire equally sinister henchmen, like that one dude in ANH with the 3 foot long penis-nose that talked in cool clicks and grunts.

Sorry for the OT!

These rumors of Intel inside Macs arise every time we have a lame Powermac update. Don't believe them. If Apple didn't switch to Intel during the dark Motorola years, then they surly won't be switching now that they're getting good CPUs from IBM.