The sad reality of Rosetta

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,096member
    Technically, there is nothing to stop a Classic environment from working. Kind of like that emulator for the Mac that allows you to run pre-System 7 stuff. Will Apple want to keep Classic going? "Apple ][ Forever!" (remember that?) Time for corporate Apple to stop supporting an OS that hasn't been updated for 5+ years.

I think Apple wants Classic dead, and I think the big developers also want it to go. You can't run Word 5.1 forever, you can't spell M$ without $.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    No, there is no evidence that clasic will die, but seeing as steve jobs said that the transition from OS 9 to OS X ended with Panther, Apple will prolly take out classic support in Leopard, and no sooner. If they do take it out, it will prolly be available as an add on plug in later.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I wonder if you can run OS 9 in QEMU or PearPC.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    ruudruud Posts: 20member
    All this says is that right now, Rosetta won't run Classic apps. Maybe Apple plans to introduce an entirely different emulator for Classic, but didn't tell anyone yet. Or maybe they plan to add Classic support to Rosetta at a later point in time. There's just no way to tell at this point, with the release of OSx86 a year in the future.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Phil Schiller stated their research showed very few people still used classic and that it was low on their list of priorities. They could do it but I doubt they will. Classic is dead.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Name an app that doesn't run on Rosetta. Please. I can't think of any.

Here is a big one: EyeTV. They have highly optimized code that "Requires a G4 or G5 processor." They are like the #1 TV solution for mac.

Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Question: Jobs opened Word and Excel using Rosetta, which, given the constraints listed above, makes sense. But he also opened Photoshop, which presumably uses Altivec. Why did Photoshop run?

I may be wrong here, but were altivec and G5 support were added by plugins to photoshop. It seems it can do just fine without them too.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    squozensquozen Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Here is a big one: EyeTV. They have highly optimized code that "Requires a G4 or G5 processor." They are like the #1 TV solution for mac.

You're sure that's not simply because the G3 is too slow to decode the stream in realtime?
  • Reply 48 of 56
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    G3's have plenty of power to display simple video. In fact, some of the early versions of EyeTV worked great on G3's. Then around version 1.6 they added optimized code which required a G4 or better.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    owenowen Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

So what does it run? I can't think of anything!

I think the upshot is that Rosetta will allow anything to run that would run on my PowerBook G3 Pismo or a G3 PowerMac - except Classic apps and 68k code.

How many OS X application won't run on a G3?

MS Office and Virtual PC does (processor speed excepted), Adobe's CS2 states a G4 or G5 but that's what Steve demo'd in the keynote it just ran (maybe they state G4 but it'll run on a fast enough G3?).

I'd watch for Apple listing their compatibility for PPC applications on Intel...
  • Reply 50 of 56
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Rosetta is a clever thing but won't be needed by most of us. Intel based machines are at least a year away and much longer for PM replacements. Either way Intel machines will only replace PPC machines when they represent an IMPROVEMENT in performance, otherwise why change?

So lets say that the first Intel Based PM I buy is in 2006/7 probably 7. I will be on Photo Shop CS4 by them and it will be a FAT binary and so will MS office and Dreamweaver, it will be interesting to see how long it will take Quark to react (OSX nearly killed them as they were too slow and many users jumped ship).

I can't see many of the apps I use using Rosetta, but it is comforting to know it is there if I need it. In two years time current processors are likely to mean that today's benchmarks are an irrelevance.

The most interesting thing is that we are likely to see a new enlcosure, anyone who has seen the inside of the Intel machine can see that we just don't need that monster case any longer.

The other interesting consequence of the change is that there are a great many peripheral cards and it will be interesting to see how Apple reacts and if it will support them. (Sound and video cards for example)
  • Reply 51 of 56
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

crap...

lots of old old games (classics) won't run anymore

also, I have some pro apps (Pagemaker etc) that I use to open old old files, etc...

And I dont want to shell out to Adobe and EXTRA few hundred $ for some "plug ins" to open these things... grrrr...

well, you can do what i'll do: keep your current computer, keep all of those older apps running, and string an ethernet cable to your network to transfer files back and forth. if you really want convenience, put them both under your desk and get a kvm.

done and done.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

The most interesting thing is that we are likely to see a new enlcosure, anyone who has seen the inside of the Intel machine can see that we just don't need that monster case any longer.

well, the case WAS built to hold a 10,000 BTU air conditioning unit (exaggeration and humor, there, btw).

but hey, if they do want to keep it, maybe we can get more slots, drive bays, etc. in there and really trick that bad boy out!
  • Reply 53 of 56
    I think we've got a whole lot unneeded worrying going on here.

Nearly every developer who has current code that REQUIRES a G4 or G5 (usually because of Altivec) is already using XCODE which means they can recompile thier Altivec optimizations for SIMD quite easily.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

So lets say that the first Intel Based PM I buy is in 2006/7 probably 7. I will be on Photo Shop CS4 by them and it will be a FAT binary and so will MS office and Dreamweaver, it will be interesting to see how long it will take Quark to react (OSX nearly killed them as they were too slow and many users jumped ship).

I think that Quark will react pretty quickly. I've seen an early beta of QXP7 and they are started to use the Mac OS X technologies.

Quote:

I would expect that a future Power Mac model would have a lot more stuff than the test system - more RAM slots, a GPU and so on.

The test system is a very basic PC.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    um, by the way, did i miss the part fo the keynote where steve said that every currently shipping mac will cease to exist when Intel-based Macs start shipping?

yeah, exactly. keep your (at that point) old machine, run everything you need to, and shuttle files back and forth. and this assumes you buy a rev a version of the intel-mac, which, if you do, you are braver soul than I. i like stories of people saying they will wait on upgrading FOR A YEAR when these machine sstart shipping, whent hey don't even know WHAT that machine will be (for example: "gosh, i need a high-end desktop, but maybe i'll wait a year for those intel-based macs..." time passes... "what do you mean the first intel-based mac is an imac?!?")
  • Reply 56 of 56
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    WHAT? Hypercard is finally dead?! How are they going to run that cracker plant in Bolivia?