Focused Realistic(?) Wishlist for New iBooks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apoder

I hear u sunilraman.

iBooks before August...PLEASE!!!

yeah. my fucking parents are riding my ass because i lost their iBook charger. i managed to borrow one from a friend for an indefinite period but no, it's not fucking good enough.

fuck this shit, let me get my own new iBook and they can go kiss my ass.

phew. just needed to vent.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    dr. jdr. j Posts: 39member
    I don't see iBooks going much below $999, nor do I see processors being higher then 1.33/1.42, because then that would cannibalize the low end powerbook sales. They will probably get nvidia go5200 64mb vid cards, and I highly doubt they would introduce a widescreen before they introduce the intel processors. I bet we get nothing more then .13 ghz, 10gb, and a measly go5200 chip set extra on the lowest end iBook. I would be surprised if they even had BT standard.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. J

I don't see iBooks going much below $999, nor do I see processors being higher then 1.33/1.42, because then that would cannibalize the low end powerbook sales. They will probably get nvidia go5200 64mb vid cards, and I highly doubt they would introduce a widescreen before they introduce the intel processors. I bet we get nothing more then .13 ghz, 10gb, and a measly go5200 chip set extra on the lowest end iBook. I would be surprised if they even had BT standard.

at least the go5200 is full core image and quartz 2d extreme compatible \

12"

1024x768

nvidia geforce go5200 64mb

512mb

airport extreme

40gb 4200rpm

us$999

well, works for me \
  • Reply 24 of 53
    apoderapoder Posts: 49member
    I'd pick one up today if they just updated the video card. Seriously, at this point any update is a good update.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Quote:

I'd pick one up today if they just updated the video card. Seriously, at this point any update is a good update.

damn Apoder, you and i need to chill a bit, huh

why you need iBook so badly? tell me bro...? curious.. do share...
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:

I wish they'd come out with the update just to put the two of you (sunilraman) out of your misery. In the meantime, take cold showers. If you're not unaccustomed to doing drugs, I recommend one handful per day until the update. If you have a sex partner write them a little note requesting more "contact". Try fingerpainting. Do a fingerpainting of an iBook and post on here for my pleasure.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Every time you buy a computer, I guarantee you the next update will be better than what you have. That's how it works.

So if you want an iBook now, get one now! On the other hand, if you don't really care to have an iBook now, wait and see. It's that simple.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

... wait and see.

why 'wait and see' when you can 'make an educated guess and see'?
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by surfacenuts

I wish they'd come out with the update just to put the two of you (sunilraman) out of your misery. In the meantime, take cold showers. If you're not unaccustomed to doing drugs, I recommend one handful per day until the update. If you have a sex partner write them a little note requesting more "contact". Try fingerpainting. Do a fingerpainting of an iBook and post on here for my pleasure.

yeah, but if they update it a couple weeks after and you have a computer that doesnt support core image, and came with less ram you would be pissed. the ibook/mini is nearly obsolete if you ask me.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    An iBook might be obsolete for you. The obsoleteness of a machine is largely dependent on what one uses it for. I'm a writer. I do a little video editing. I surf the next, listen to music. I just bought a used 1GHz iBook. It's great. Am I missing out on faster speeds from a PC laptop? Probably. Do I care. Fuck no. I'm using OS X and the hardware is beautiful. Would I buy a new iBook right now? No, but only because we are undeniably at the dusk of a product cycle, which is always an imprudent time to purchase. That being said, anyone who NEEDS one should by one, product cycles be damned. Apple's gonna squeeze out a 10 or 15% boost any week now. Wait if you can. The iBook is a worthy laptop yet.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    I would have bought the 12" iBook if it had the specifications of the 14" iBook, so I had little choice but to go with the 12" PowerBook unless I ordered online - and I'm very impatient. A balance of size and power was important to me - hence the PowerBook 12". As for the 14" iBook, I have no idea what to say.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    sunilraman- Several reasons why I appear to be so desperate. I'll be heading off the college soon so a laptop is a must since I won't be able to drag my chunky PC there. PC being the second reason why I need an iBook bad. I'm just plain tired of MS. This will be my first Mac
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

sunilraman- Several reasons why I appear to be so desperate. I'll be heading off the college soon so a laptop is a must since I won't be able to drag my chunky PC there. PC being the second reason why I need an iBook bad. I'm just plain tired of MS. This will be my first Mac

i hear ya bro'

the other posters are right in that we both need to take a chill pill, literally, or figuratively

in education a laptop is very critical for our goals.

i am teaching a interactive media class part-time, and may be offered a full time position for the september semester.

i am living in malaysia at the moment, stock of product is 1 month behind announcements made in the USA.

i am using my dad's iBook g4, and he needs it to finish off some business stuff and prep for retirement, manage his properties, etc...

given that whatever laptop i buy will involve some credit advance from parents/ brother/ credit card company, i would like to get some decent value for money. apple's current iBook range no longer offers that. we all know that a PC is not a viable option at this time. additionally, we now know that given apple's announcements, it is only fair IMHO that they offer some decent deals (which we know they will) very soon.

so let's hang in there, we'll make it through... i have 1 more class to teach on wednesday, then the next 4 classes are in july to finish off my semester. by start of august though i will need to know my financial and laptop situation to be able to say yes or no to take on additional classes for the sep-nov+ 2005 term... also i will need to know this to decide how to negotiate pay/salary/subjects etc. for that sep-nov+ 2005 term...
  • Reply 34 of 53
    That's interesting that you say stock is 1 month behind US announcements... Is this the case for all of Asia? I currently live in Hong Kong and would love to take advantage of the absence of sales tax.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:

That's interesting that you say stock is 1 month behind US announcements... Is this the case for all of Asia? I currently live in Hong Kong and would love to take advantage of the absence of sales tax.

well for Apple AsiaPac singapore and taiwan are the main hubs.

so lets say announcement in US is made, most people in US order and start getting the new stuff 1+ weeks later. singapore, taiwan, hongkong, add 1+ week on top of that... malaysia has to get stuff sent up from singapore, another 1+ week... just the nature of the supply chain, not necessarily a matter of transport times, but people in each regional office have to coordinate the supply and get it out to dealers and dealers have to be aware to clear older stock, etc...

so from stevie J or phatboy phil saying "new iBooks..!!" realistically its 1+ week to in-your-hands if you're in the US, 2+ weeks if you're in singapore, taiwan, hongkong perhaps, and 3+ weeks if you're in malaysia. i would put australia in the 3+ weeks category.... for reasons i won't go into at the moment

edit: in fairness, nowadays, for apple australia, sydney might be the major hub now, and may receive stuff straight from factory into australia, so australia may be in that [2+ week to delivery from announcement] category

i've just seen some nasty ass distribution snafus in australia in 2004, maybe it's all improved by now....
  • Reply 36 of 53
    It's funny how, and correct me if I'm wrong, that most Apple products are manufactured in China and yet they can't release new products at the same time in Asia as they do in the States.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:

It's funny how, and correct me if I'm wrong, that most Apple products are manufactured in China and yet they can't release new products at the same time in Asia as they do in the States.

That's Globalism, for you. Where a physical product is manufactured matters nothing, and the intellectual property ownership of a product is everything. Apple is American, so the U.S. gets first market, if of course it makes financial sense, which apparently it does.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

12"

1024x768

nvidia geforce go5200 64mb

512mb

airport extreme

40gb 4200rpm

us$999

well, works for me \

Add mini-DVI port and that would be a great laptop.

The 12" PB is roughly what the iBook should be, and not anywhere near what a Powerbook should be.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    dr. jdr. j Posts: 39member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Add mini-DVI port and that would be a great laptop.

The 12" PB is roughly what the iBook should be, and not anywhere near what a Powerbook should be.

Mini-DVI would be nice, however I guarentee that they stick us with the video out port that you have to buy that dumb VGA adapter for. That or Apple's next big announced iBooks will look suspiciously like powerbooks with the 'power' scratched off and replaced with a sharpie printed 'i'.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Token

I am (in the absence of my iBook) writing this on a 14" widescreen HP dv1224, a very nice machine that would be a very nice format for new iBooks (except for WInXP, etc). But a widescreen iBook would imply a complete redesign, something I would deem pretty unlikely before the introduction of Intel processors..

An aggressive Apple would go for the new widescreen form factor despite moving to an Intel board in the future. And if I read Jobs right, any high powered mobile chip will certainly be pegged for the Powerbook line.

As others have noted, a 14" widescreen iBook running at 1.5 gHz could cannabalize some PB sales, specifically the 12"...but perhaps for only a few months. September or October could bring new PB's at 1.8 or even 2.0 ghz G4's before the new MacTel PB's surface in mid 2006.

Pure speculation of course, but it's just that Apple needs compelling product offerings during this transition. A simple speed bump to 1.42 gHz may not be enough to get people to open their wallets.