The New iMac Is Selling Very Well - Lookee

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    On the tower Macs with El Capitan cases you sometimes have to push in the programmers button while updating firmware.

However, you don't have to do it on Powerbooks - I don't even think they have a programmers button do they? On PBs you just hold down the cmd and power button while you restart.

So, on the new iMacs it will probably be a similar routine as on Powerbooks. Hold down the CMD key and Power button while you restart. Or some similar scheme.

Don't know how the old iMacs do it.

It isn't necessary to have a programmers button though.
  • Reply 82 of 86
    arielariel Posts: 46member
    Sales update from lowly Missouri (with no APPLESTORE anywhere nearby)

Just talked to the local MacStore (www.macstore.com) here in St. Louis and asked when they'd be getting a new iMac for demo - the gal said 'sometime next week'... but she also said they had sold 5 units without even having one in house to demo so they were pretty excited.

Can't wait for my roadtrip to see one!

Ariel
  • Reply 83 of 86
    This just in:

Apple says orders for the new iMac are as good or slightly better then the original at this stage. Not bad for a machine that is only available at $500 more (for the moment) as the original Biondi Blue and hasn't arrived at stores!
  • Reply 84 of 86
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>This just in:

Apple says orders for the new iMac are as good or slightly better then the original at this stage. Not bad for a machine that is only available at $500 more (for the moment) as the original Biondi Blue and hasn't arrived at stores!</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's not really true. Can't you order the other models too?
  • Reply 85 of 86
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>

I've updated the firmware of several Macs over the last few years, and I've never once been required to use the programmer's button. Isn't it only really necessary if you are doing your own tweaking? Or is that what you meant?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Haven't the last 2 firmware upgrades for the Powermac G4 required you to shut down and then start up while holding the programmer's button down?
  • Reply 86 of 86
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>Haven't the last 2 firmware upgrades for the Powermac G4 required you to shut down and then start up while holding the programmer's button down?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, sizzle chest, I checked the Apple Knowledge Base (Wasn't it so much simpler - and much more Apple-like - when it was just the Apple Tech Info Library?) and you're right, the programmer's button is used in the update process. For the rest of the Mac line-up, it's just the usual "hold down the three-button salute, wait for the long bong, and release".