Longhorn = WindowsVista vs. Apple's codename?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

As an IT pro in training, I would like to see MS just get it fucking right for once (2k was three steps in that direction, XP was 14 steps back), the fact is that 95%+ of the real world uses MS, they need to make something that just works, because like it or not, like lemmings, the companies will upgrade to the next version of windows, no matter how much it totaly sucks.

The problem is not the IT guys, it is the managers that make decisions baced on a: what they already have

and B: how pretty the flyers are...

The other problem is the amount of apps that have been built MS-only for years, look at the custom apps from most any ASP* shop or in-house for the major corperations, they and to some extent the data they generate is windows reliant.

The other big factor is that users are friggen stupid for the most part, look at the 2k->xp transition, people freak out because the start button iss green...admins have to hack it on the images so that it runs as "classic" so as not to generate a zillion phone calls to helpdesk (the pergatory of the IT world for geeks) If a transition is to be made, the employees must ben trained, whilst it is a worth wile investment in the long term, the bean counters dont like the short term costs.

*app service provider - not the MS product

hehe...yeah...totally right...

Look at my school. 3 years ago, all the student comps were 5200's and iMacs...classrooms had either 5200's or G3 PM's. The server was a beige G3 server and some other stuff that I never saw.

Now, all the teachers have dell laptops, the comp labs are all dells. there are about 20 dell servers running win 2K/2K3 in the server room (I still haven't figured out why the hell they need all the ones they have). They fired the mac guy and got a pc guy. (coincidentially, the new guy uses a PM G4 which I saw last time I went to his office...funny how that works).

Unfortunately that's typical.

Even at Tufts where about 30% of the student computers are macs, I read in the requirements to buy servers that all new servers must be dells (true, they could load linux/unix onto them, but what are the chances).

Speakeing as a user, I'd say the problem are the users who are used to windows and don't want to change (of course that also includes the managers, who, if you read Dilbert, are the most idiotic), and therefore nothing changes. Now, if Apple's switcher campaign is successful, then maybe we'll see a awitch, but until then...
  • Reply 22 of 35
    miggs97miggs97 Posts: 87member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

For those of you who didn't see longhorn is now officially WindowsVista

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...07-22LHMA.mspx

Look at the 2nd picture.

EXPERIENCE WINDOWS VISTA

CHECK YOUR EMAIL, BROWSE THE WEB.

Wow, finally a Windows that will let you do all that!
  • Reply 23 of 35
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by miggs97

Look at the 2nd picture.

EXPERIENCE WINDOWS VISTA

CHECK YOUR EMAIL, BROWSE THE WEB.

Wow, finally a Windows that will let you do all that!

The Vista logo (on the sign and the guy's trackpad) looks surprisingly like the plastification the OS X apple went through for the switch.

--B
  • Reply 24 of 35
    baranovichbaranovich Posts: 184member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

This one?

He looks so CONSTIPATED
  • Reply 25 of 35
    He relieves the constipation (and paruresis) through vigourous activity on stage. The "developers" chant and other such mesmerising devices are merely to distract from the indescribable stench of the large amounts of previously retained liquids spewing from his catheterised lower orifices into tubes routed to various drainage sites on the torso.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    stustanleystustanley Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

This one?

yeah that one.

I can never remember... is he head of developers or head of motivation at microsoft

or is he head of sweating..... ugh look at all that sweat, i am glad steve doesnt look like that on stage.

stu
  • Reply 27 of 35
    baranovichbaranovich Posts: 184member
    HAAHAHA I didn't even really notice all the sweat until just now. Those Micro$oft guys are fools.... I guess the only way to keep people interested while they're being screwed is to dance around on stage.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

August 3rd and quite a few people attended. Follow the link, there's a link to the video where you can see the developers.

I bet you those are all microsoft employees...you know...field trip day...lets pretend to have an audience.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

i am glad steve doesnt look like that on stage.

The black mock turtlenecks hide it. Steve actually sweats like a linebacker up there.

• Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

The black mock turtlenecks hide it. Steve actually sweats like a linebacker up there.

Nuh-uh, vegetarians don't sweat :P
  • Reply 31 of 35
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    This is funny.

Excerpt :

"So, Fista. It does exactly what is says on the tin.

It shoves a fist so far up your backsides after you've installed it that you'll have to use it unless you want your guts pulled out when it all goes belly up, which it will."
  • Reply 32 of 35
    I read that as "Windows Fiesta".
  • Reply 33 of 35
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Microsoft does a good job with advirtising and creating appealing graphics and logos. The products almost all suck tho...i guess this is probably why they do very well...because of the advirtising and graphics. If you go to their site, the plainest things are litered with expolding color bolds and shadding and etc.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    hugihugi Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

He looks so CONSTIPATED

• Reply 35 of 35
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    this is my favorite picture as it presents the most accurate picture of windows: http://www.meversusthem.com/vista/in...dea8a5c0815b0a