Please help with wireless internet.....

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    could you answer those few questions asked many times in this thread, so then we might be able to help a little bit more, can you connect directly to web without the router with any of your computers? who owns the router? can you login to the router( http://192.168.1.1/ )? is the ip address that you get connecting directly to isp same that the router gets when connecting to isp?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:

default nas24.cleveland1.l UGSc 655 142 ppp0

nas24.cleveland1.l aca31bd0.ipt.aol.c UH 656 0 ppp0

localhost localhost UH 9 8300 lo0

169.254 link#4 UCS 0 0 en0

192.168.1 link#4 UCS 0 0 en0

192.168.1.103 localhost UHS 0 22 lo0

192.168.1.104 localhost UHS 0 2 lo0

Your default route doesn't look right. It should point to your wireless basestation. Do you have any dialup software installed?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    For the last time, CONNECT THE MAC DIRECTLY TO THE MODEM AND SEE IF IT WILL SURF.

You are wasting a lot of people's time.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    the whole reason i tried to go wireless in the first place was because my mac is nowhere near the PC which has the cable modem and wiring installed by it. i drilled a damn hole in the wall to connect it through there and it still wont connect to the internet.

Quote:

can you connect directly to web without the router with any of your computers?

no

Quote:

who owns the router?

i do

Quote:

can you login to the router( http://192.168.1.1/ )?

yes

Quote:

is the ip address that you get connecting directly to isp same that the router gets when connecting to isp?

no

Quote:

Do you have any dialup software installed?

i have AOL installed. i dont think it makes a difference though, i removed it once and the net still didnt work.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Actually , your original post never says that you use cable, and when you finally said you tried cable it didn't sound like you really tried, or i'm just illiterate which is also possible sorry for that, but if your router got totally different looking wan address than your machine when directly connecting, theres your problem, and thats propably because your wan settings are incorrect. try playing around with them.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    i've already made a post before regarding this, and i clearly stated in this one that i couldnt connect wireless or wired (built in ethernet).

you're saying that the router and IP address should both be the same? the mac automatically gets IP address, subnet mask, and router. those looked fine to me when compared with stuff online i looked up. see people are here tellin me i must be doing somethin wrong, if the wan settings are incorrect then it has to be configured wrong and i didnt configure anything. the mac is simply just set to either built-in ethernet or airport (wireless), and it receives the info automatically. there isnt any tricks to it, so it should work.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    no, I'm trying to tell you that your router WAN the outside address, and your computers ip address when you connect directly without router, should be quite similar, because if they aren't, there is propably something wrong. Your router has two addresses WAN (ISP side) and LAN(local). LAN address is 192.168.1.1 Behind the reuter your (LAN) ip should look something like 192.168.1.103.

Your local network is propably working ok, the problem is for some reason your router doesn't get the WAN address correctly so it can't deliver packages to ISP and that's why net doesn't work.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    ^that's exactly how they are.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    I am convinced that his problem is being caused by his routing table. His default route is configured to send traffic through the ppp0 interface. Here's his routing table:

Quote:

default nas24.cleveland1.l UGSc 655 142 ppp0

nas24.cleveland1.l aca31bd0.ipt.aol.c UH 656 0 ppp0

localhost localhost UH 9 8300 lo0

169.254 link#4 UCS 0 0 en0

192.168.1.103 localhost UHS 0 22 lo0

192.168.1.104 localhost UHS 0 2 lo0

This route :

is allowing him to access his router. All other internet bound traffic is being routed to the ppp0 interface and is being blacked holed. Go to your network preferences and disable all network ports with the exception of your airport card.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Not sure how relevant this is, but my cable provider (ntl in the UK) won't allow two different computers to use the same connection.

I have to clone the MAC address of the original computer (which was set-up when the computer was registered the first time) using the wireless router.

This means that the router must allow MAC cloning. I had to buy a Belkin router because my Linksys (WAG) didn't.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    ^i hope thats not the case....

i tried disabling the ports in network preferences and it didnt anything. tried putting it on just airport and then just built-in ethernet.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I am convinced that his problem is being caused by his routing table. His default route is configured to send traffic through the ppp0 interface. Here's his routing table:

This route :

is allowing him to access his router. All other internet bound traffic is being routed to the ppp0 interface and is being blacked holed. Go to your network preferences and disable all network ports with the exception of your airport card.

Yup. That's why we told him to take the router out of the loop. He says he can't connect when the computer is connected directly to the cable modem. The only way that could happen is if the tech registered the router MAC address with the ISP.

He was asked to ping the router, and instead pinged the PC.

He owns the router and the PC, but for some reason has to "drill a hole" instead of just carrying the G4 into the room where the modem is like all the rest of us do.

I'm done. This is making Genius Bar look intimidating to new users and unless he calmly follows advice and stops with the attitude towards people who are trying to help him, I'm trashing the whole thread.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    the reason a hole was drilled in the first place was so that i didnt have to set up the mac in a different room. im not tryin to move my whole computer and everything into the same room as the PC. me connecting through the wire is the exact same thing i'd be doing if i were to move my computer into the PC room, im connected to the cable modem right now.

Quote:

The only way that could happen is if the tech registered the router MAC address with the ISP.

then thats probably the case. all you need to do is say that instead of claimin im not listnin to anybody or giving any information. i've given all the info that i can/has been asked of me and have followed everyones advice who didnt just tell me oh its my fault i must have messed up everything myself and that i put the wrong settings. the settings i have have all been listed and theres nothing to mess up since the mac does it automatically. thats what i dont like, when people just come in here tryin to tell me i must be the fault. there's nothin i have done to the computer or network settings.

router pinged....

Ping has started ...

PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=3.314 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.827 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.799 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.795 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.833 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.801 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.81 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.894 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=0.805 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=0.783 ms

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---

10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max = 0.783/1.066/3.314 ms

is that not correct or somethin? i dont know how im supposed to ping the router then.

if apple, linksys, our ISP, computer tech people have told me everything is set perfect and should be working.....why am i to blame???

i got it working now......had to mess with some scripts but it seems to be good now.