Google Talk instant messaging to work with iChat?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

Even though they compete with Apple on a few things, no one can deny that Google is an excellent company. If they are truly working together with Apple now and making iChat's voice protocol cross-platform, that is excellent for everyone.

I'd like to see Google adopt H.264 for the video chat. Less bandwidth hogging on the internet is a Good Thing. This is probably highly unlikely though unless Google has rolled their own H.264...or requires QuickTime 7 Preview 3...which isn't a very good idea. :/
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Word on the web is that some people have been able to login to Google Talk using their Google Account details (for Gmail etc.) and talk.google.com as the Jabber server.

Anyone here been successful?

J

Try reading the thread before replying next time.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Anyone here been successful?

J

I just got in. Got the 'signed in' sound and a buddy list appeared. Tried it ten minutes ago and it didn't work, but just now it did. Hmmmm... are they really up to something, then?
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bengt77

I just got in. Got the 'signed in' sound and a buddy list appeared. Tried it ten minutes ago and it didn't work, but just now it did. Hmmmm... are they really up to something, then?

!!

add me to your buddy list... use [email protected]

I'm currently ON
  • Reply 25 of 54
    I'm excited to see what kind of Chat application Google puts it's name to, if this story proves true. I love Google, love my Gmail...I bet I'd love their chat app too.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

!!

add me to your buddy list... use [email protected]

I'm currently ON

I'm online too...and I've added you...waiting for authorization.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

I'm excited to see what kind of Chat application Google puts it's name to, if this story proves true. I love Google, love my Gmail...I bet I'd love their chat app too.

I hope people dump MSN in favor of GoogleIM.

iChat does ICQ/AIM/Jabber and soon GoogleIM. People still using Yahoo and MSN are being left behind (although MSN's community is pretty strong).
  • Reply 28 of 54
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I'm online too...and I've added you...waiting for authorization.

How do you go online?
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

How do you go online?

If you got a gmail account, simply open up iChat prefs, go to the 'Accounts' pref pane, add an account, select Jabber Account as the 'Account Type', put in your gmail address as the Jabber ID, your gmail password for Password, and talk.google.com as the Server.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Quote:

If you got a gmail account, simply open up iChat prefs, go to the 'Accounts' pref pane, add an account, select Jabber Account as the 'Account Type', put in your gmail address as the Jabber ID, your gmail password for Password, and talk.google.com as the Server.

Thanks. I'll try it tonight when I go back to my Mac.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    A quick test shows that nothing but text chat works. No buddy picts could be seen, no files could be received or sent, and no audio or video sessions could be initiated within iChat. But who knows what will happen tomorrow.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

So, doing this exposes Gmail addresses, similar to using .Mac e-mail addresses for iChat account names, which could then become more vulnerable to spam?
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Well, it's officially out!

http://www.google.com/talk/
  • Reply 34 of 54
    No ads too:

Quote:

11. Do I see ads when I use Google Talk?

We aren't showing any ads on Google Talk. There are no pop-ups or clutter?just a clean and simple interface to make it easy for you to communicate instantly with your friends.

http://www.google.com/talk/about.html#what
  • Reply 35 of 54
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

Try reading the thread before replying next time.

Take your own advice before you post comments like this.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Well, I like this:

" What new features are you working on?

We could tell you, but then you'd have to promise to not talk about it... Joking aside, Google Talk is still in beta, and we're working hard to add features and make improvements. We're just not quite ready yet to reveal the other cool things we've got planned. We can say this, though: we believe strongly in user choice and open standards, and we are committed to letting users access Google Talk using the client and platform of their choice, as well as to enabling our users to talk with users from other service providers."
  • Reply 37 of 54
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The state of IM software is a perfect case study on how a entire genre of software can be complete crap. Until iChat, none of the clients even had a clean inteface suitable for most users. Standardization completely failed and the commercial protocols are flakey as hell.

This isn't to say that certain projects haven't been impressive. I'm impressed at what developers have pulled off given how messy, different, and incompatible each proprietery network is. However, they all still leave much to be desired in end user experience. Things are just too convoluted in IM land for users' lives to end up being simple.

If google can push a "standard" enough to make it standard... we'll all bennefit. *fingers crossed*

Can you image if email was as incompatible and unreliable as IM? Only being able to email a select bunch of people from each program? Not being able to reliably send files or use 90% of the auxilary features? Nobody would stand for it.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    sebazsebaz Posts: 12member
    It works np, at least the IM side in iChat, although some ppl in other forums say they have had success audio conferecing with other iChat users.

You guys want to add me here it is

sebastian[dot]t[at]gmail.con
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Could someone send me a Gmail invitation so that I could get an account and try Talk? Skype is OK, but a bit of a resource hog just for IM, hopefully Talk will be better.

Thanks.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    sebazsebaz Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zonazag

Could someone send me a Gmail invitation so that I could get an account and try Talk? Skype is OK, but a bit of a resource hog just for IM, hopefully Talk will be better.

Thanks.

I have some gmail invites, whats your email, i'll send one your way