To MacAddict

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]The problem with the wealth of nations (and pure capitalism in general) is it defines "best" in terms of lowest cost<hr></blockquote>

Wasn't referring to that baby. seb refers to lower costs--try to recall Adam Smith's match making example, with specialized labor and increased production. Its a hoot.

[quote]Oh, and we are not "supposed" to revere any particular system; we choose what to agree with and not to agree with. That is both the beauty and the essence of the democratic system.<hr></blockquote>

Read the news lately? People critical of anything done in the public have lost jobs for saying so. The reference is rather circumspect, but you'll fnd lots of examples.

ps. there was more than a hint of sarcasm in my post replying to seb. run with it.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    [quote] specialized labor and increased production. <hr></blockquote>

That's the crux of the problem of the Wealth of Nations. Increased production only refers to product volume, not quality. In fact, as they strive to increase production, the tendency is to cut corners and decrease quality.

[quote]Originally posted by cowerd:

<strong>

Read the news lately? People critical of anything done in the public have lost jobs for saying so. The reference is rather circumspect, but you'll fnd lots of examples.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does people losing there jobs justify the oppression of free speech? The whole point of the first amendment was to protect dissidents (which is what the founding fathers were). I mean, to say that because people criticize the government lose there jobs we shouldn't criticize the government is asinine logic. I would argue that those people have had their rights trampled. The ability to legally critique government policy is crucial to liberty, more so, I would argue, than bombing remote locations in Afghanistan.

[quote] ps. there was more than a hint of sarcasm in my post replying to seb. run with it. <hr></blockquote>

Well, my post wasn't sarcastic, and I really don't think yours was either. You can't hide behind the veil of sarcasm just because someone questions your claims.

While I am personally at fault for attempting to shift this thread away from a discussion of MacAddict's monitor purchase, I think it needs to be said. Stop being a sheep and believing whatever the government tells you. (And no, I don't hate the US, in fact, I think it is the best nation in the world to live. However, it could be better, and that's why we have open forums to critique it).
  • Reply 43 of 47
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    PCMan, anti-competition comes to mind. Dell is one of the reasons why PC manufacturers are dropping dead.

Hmm, Seb, what kind of athletic footwear do you own? I can't find anything at Foot Locker not made in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, China, Korea, etc.

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 44 of 47
    Mac addict, found your monitor for $339

Sony G400:

"19inch .25mm 1800x1440 70Hz Trinitron"

That it?

<a href="http://www.pricewatch"; target="_blank">www.pricewatch</a> my friend. The support probably isn't very good, just a normal place... but its a high class monitor that should't have any problems right? And Sony should repair it, how is their support?
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Just saw this super deal: <a href="http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=40&threadid=701693"; target="_blank">ViewSonic A90 19" monitor $104.00 AR at OD B&M</a>.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Yeah, I'd buy from there (MWave is a great place to buy from), but the shipping bumps the price up to $387.

• Reply 47 of 47
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    The A90 is nice, but it's not flat and it only goes up to 1280 x 1024 (well, it goes up to 1600 x 1200, but at 69Hz).