Apple unwraps iTunes 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 162
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    It looks like the Mail.app look was a preview of things to come after all

I'd played around in photoshop and made a mockup of what iTunes would look like if it used the new style, and it wasn't far off what we see in iTunes 5. I'll post it somewhere when I get home this evening...

I think iLife '06 could be interesting

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 22 of 162
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    YES! I am finally satisfied minus the CD quality of things. I'm sure that's soon to come as new extensions are modified and experimented with. A Lyrics tab is great in the info. I'm so glad they added that. Now Liner Notes can be added there (Or at least that's what I'm going to be doing). I am interested if my liner notes can be replaced with "Booklets" as it appears when searching for something in the new search functions. It's a shame that lyrics aren't searchable though - seems a little funny - I always call the radio with a song in mind but only know the lyrics. Or maybe my testing of the lyrics search function. Now a jazz playlist folder can make it easier than going through the different genres that I have in there right now. Almost perfect!
  • Reply 23 of 162
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

I am liking it. Seems faster and more responsive. Better graphical display, also you can minimize the minimized window to just show the buttons. Pretty sweet.

You could do this in iTunes since way back when. Just minimize the iTunes window, then grab the sizing box in the bottom right corner and drag it to the left. Boom, buttons only.
  • Reply 24 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arnel

It looks like the Mail.app look was a preview of things to come after all

I'd played around in photoshop and made a mockup of what iTunes would look like if it used the new style, and it wasn't far off what we see in iTunes 5. I'll post it somewhere when I get home this evening...

I think iLife '06 could be interesting

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel

I know many don't like this... but I'm a fan of gradients... except on cheesey car paint jobs. I'd love to see your renditions. The Menu Bar has it too now. Maybe it will produce a 3-D display with Leopard out and the mactels speaking everything to you. You'll still need fancy glasses though.
  • Reply 25 of 162
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

I pulled down iTunes 5 for Windows and so far I'm not impressed.

1) They did away with the title bar. Windows apps typically have an icon in the upper left corner of a window followed by the application name and possibly some other info (like the name of the open file). Apple has ignored this convention and mashed the menu into the tippy top of the window. And they've replaced the normal Windows minimize, maximize, and close buttons with their own (very small) ones.

2) The new folders are nice, but you can't Shift-select items in the "Source" pane, so you have to drag each item individually.

Yeah, there was a title bar there (I just looked) and it being gone is kind of stupid (I confirm this for the poster who thought it wasn't there before).

And the only thing I can say about not being able to multi-click on the source pane, someone could argue this is the way windows works, since you can't do that in explorer either (left side, that is).
  • Reply 26 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by Engine Joe

[B]1 - It's been a long time since I've used iTunes in Windows, but I seem to recall that was already the case in iTunes 4?

I think it was, but the top margin is MUCH tighter now. "iTunes" is RIGHT up against the top of the window. Seems there should be more of a margin.

Quote:

4 - Hello! New version of Quicktime supporting HD codec. So you didn't have it already.

Well, they could have mentioned that. I don't think there's any mention of QT7 (for Windows) being final or required. I've never understood why the two are forcibly bundled.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 27 of 162
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

Screenshots:

Full-screen view

Little window

Thanks! Looks like a pretty minor update to me too, but I'll wait to play with it before I make a final judgement.
  • Reply 28 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Am I the only person not loving the new interface?

On the bright side, they have added a lot of things I wanted- playlist folders are handy, and the new search is very useful.

I got the error message regarding closing iTunes too when updating, but it was cured by closing iTunes! I also fell foul to two restarts however (quicktime and iTunes)

I do like the interface, but for a panther user, it is out of place. I don't have the new mail app! Do I need tiger, or can I download it?

But anyway, this will look good once everything matches, but right now it is ugly and sticks out.

Why didn't the safari update look like this? It also appears that apple is enforcing the bleed to edge effect.
  • Reply 29 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by jph

Same problem here! Had to restart (force quit doesn´t work)...

I´ll wait till it pops up in software update....

Well, I have it installed now. First I closed AudioScrobbler, not sure if that had anything to do with it. But it still wouldn't work, then I stopped SizzlingKeys. When I did that it worked!

Okay so my first thought when I got this was: Why do I have over 4000 songs in my library? Last time I looked there was only 3900 odd... The answer: Podcasts. So now Podcasts are stored in the Music Library as well as having their own section in the Source? That's awful. Truly. I liked how they seemed to be splitting the sections up; hell I wanted a Videos and Audiobook Libraries like we had the Podcast Library. But now Everything gets crammed into "Music" Library??? That's not good at all. Also "Podcast" should be an Artist...

Secondly, I can't maximize the window to take up the whole display. Now I know I couldn't before, but with the brushed metal it felt enclosed. Now it feels like it should be able to take up the whole screen. Also on the looks front, I don't get why they've used a different shade for the top bit from Mail.app; I thought they were meant to be converging, now it seems every app may have a different colour/style of its own (Dashboard anyone - okay not quite that extreme). One final thing on the looks that's bugging me, the corners are squarer and don't fit with the rest of Mac OS X very well at all...

Folders are excellent, long time needed. Now hopefully my Source can shrink down so it doesn't need a scroll bar! In fact, these new folders are much more powerful than I first imagined, in that putting playlists into them means all songs that are in the playlists show when the folder is selected. Now here's a primitive way to make Smart Playlists with boolean rules. Which in my opinion needs to be done on normal Smart Playlists anyway...
  • Reply 30 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by Engine Joe

The search bar looks the same as it always has - what's supposedly new about it?

When you start to type something in the search box a "tool bar" appears that will allow you to narrow/filter your search. For instance, you can type the artist name in the search box and it will show all their content, but if you only want to see their music then select 'Music' and you will only see their music. Select 'Videos' and only their videos will be displayed. This same tool bar works when you are in the iTunes Music Store. To see how this works go to the iTunes Music Store and type 'Harry Potter' in the search box and select the different filters to see it in action.

I did not notice it was there when I started to search and I was a little confused as to how I would search, but then I noticed the toolbar only appears when there is someting in the search box.
  • Reply 31 of 162
    Where can one acquire lyrics for songs (in the "info" tab)?
  • Reply 32 of 162
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Am I the only person not loving the new interface?

No, I think it's FUGLY.

Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Okay so my first thought when I got this was: Why do I have over 4000 songs in my library? Last time I looked there was only 3900 odd... The answer: Podcasts. So now Podcasts are stored in the Music Library as well as having their own section in the Source? That's awful. Truly. I liked how they seemed to be splitting the sections up; hell I wanted a Videos and Audiobook Libraries like we had the Podcast Library. But now Everything gets crammed into "Music" Library???

Please tell me you are joking. That is seriously, seriously bad.

Oh well. At least the iPod nano is cool.

Oh, and one last thing. iTunes now does VBR AAC encoding!
  • Reply 33 of 162
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

So now Podcasts are stored in the Music Library as well as having their own section in the Source? That's awful. Truly.

The podcast thing isn't a really big deal. Now Apple has included an option in smart playlists for "Podcast: True or False." Make a smart playlist the same way you would have before, but put a podcast option in there if you want them included or not.

I WELCOME the change. I've been wanting a way to put all my latest podcasts in one smart playlist so I can listen to the latest WSJ Tech Briefing, CNN headlines, etc. back to back on the way to work each morning. Before, I'd have to drag them into one playlist manually each time.
  • Reply 34 of 162
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Changes to search:

When you start typing in the search field, buttons pop up along the top of the listings window for you to "narrow" down the findings to the type, author, etc. Try it.
  • Reply 35 of 162
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I am finding that 5.0 definitely runs faster and with less hard drive churning than the 4.9 that it just replaced.

edit: referring to the windows version

edit: And playlist folders rock!!! Way to go apple for listening to consumer feedback!
  • Reply 36 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Where can one acquire lyrics for songs (in the "info" tab)?

There's a widget. With the easy to do developer hack you can just drag that off the dashboard and onto iTunes to use at your dispense. I plan to do it, but I don't have that many songs with lyrics.
  • Reply 37 of 162
    If you are having problems with the error dialog once you have downloaded iTunes through the Software Update, I found a fix. Be sure to quit iTunes and then go to Activity Monitor and in the search field type iTunes. This will give you iTunes Helper. Quit this and then click ok on the error box.

Should fix everything.

Also I noticed a lyric box in the song info popup. Pretty sweet.
  • Reply 38 of 162
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

iTunes was definitely closed here...

and here
  • Reply 39 of 162
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macrules101

If you are having problems with the error dialog once you have downloaded iTunes through the Software Update, I found a fix. Be sure to quit iTunes and then go to Activity Monitor and in the search field type iTunes. This will give you iTunes Helper. Quit this and then click ok on the error box.

Should fix everything.

Also I noticed a lyric box in the song info popup. Pretty sweet.

didn't work - oh it does when i quit sizzlingkeys as well.
  • Reply 40 of 162
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

didn't work - oh it does when i quit sizzlingkeys as well.

What is that?