Apple and Motorola introduce iTunes phone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alexluft

The most important thing (for me atleast) about this phone is whether or not it has:

PERFECT iCAL syncing

if it doesn't, good bye apple and...well, welcome msft...because I'm simply tired of waiting for a decent device to carry with me that will keep my contacts, tasks, and phone numbers WITHOUT messing them up during syncing...

does anyone know if it has iSync capabilities?

and Microsoft does? SonyEricsson phones have always worked perfectly for me - I've had a T68i, a Z600 and now a S700i - they all sync well and no problems. However, the S700i wont sent txts using address book.

Motorola phones are bad because they have awful interfaces, they're ugly and they're fiddly - all the reasons Jobs used to slag off the competition for flash MP3 are the reasons I hate Moto!
  • Reply 22 of 57
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Motorola phones are bad because they have awful interfaces, they're ugly and they're fiddly - all the reasons Jobs used to slag off the competition for flash MP3 are the reasons I hate Moto!

Exactly. It just doesn't fit.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

and Microsoft does? SonyEricsson phones have always worked perfectly for me - I've had a T68i, a Z600 and now a S700i - they all sync well and no problems. However, the S700i wont sent txts using address book.

I've had a T68i for about two years now and it is downright user hostile compared to any Nokia I've ever used, including the ones from 7 years ago. Bad, laggy (!) user interface that should have never left the factory. Searching for names of companies (input from Address Book/iSync) doesn't work, all companies are at the end of the phone book and searching for one (even with exact name) jumps you to the nearest corresponding first name among the persons in the phone book. Color screen but it's just fluff, they didn't design the interface to give you any information with color and there is no camera on this phone. The end result is that the battery runs out faster and the old color screens are less readable than monocolor. Text messaging interface worse than Nokia's. This thing doesn't even tell you when a call in the call log occurred! There's a "call recording" feature which is utterly useless because you can't make it automatic, and you can't transfer the recordings out of the phone even if it has Bluetooth. One of the games would be a good one, if it didn't crash every time it's played.

I hope this breaks down on me soon so I can get a phone I can like. That said, it's the most durable/longest living phone among my last 3.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Quote:

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I never seem to be able to get my point completely across: Microsoft, at least, has perfect out of the box syncing capabilities with duh: Pocket PCs and Palm products, Nokia, and Sony-Ericsson phones. I have posted this a number of times in different threads, (here we go again) but syncing a Palm through iSync is horrible...I mean it doesn't even sync my categories properly, I can't install many of the good apps for Palm, etc...and this is only PALM!!!

Now, I don't know about moto - which i hate, as was already mentioned by many others, because their U.I.s are so laggy for the most part - but Nokias only sync ALL of their features with Windblows (or at least that's what it says on their website). Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nokia's PC Suite and Ericsson's Applications Suite are only available for Windows. If I'm lucky, I can MAYBE sync contacts with my Mac on SOME Nokia and Sony-Ericsson phones, but I can't install apps, or any software updates, or basically take advantage of the phone's full capabilities, which has always held me back from buying a great new phone.

These are my main grudges for OS X right now, and I was hoping that it would get fixed this time around with the ROKR since Apple had a part in it's development (software-wise)...

I only hope that Apple has something of their own in their labs, because the features meantioned above are the ones I really need (and want ). Otherwise, I will be forced to use Windows.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    666666 Posts: 134member
    ok, so Sony Erriccson phones have always seemed to be the most completely intergrated phone with apples with Salling Clicker etc. Now, the K750i is a great phone, more applesque than this motorola monstrosity from 1998, so why did they go motorola? If they did this with SE the phone would have been amazing! Was it a 'sorry about going to intel, dudes' kind of thing? 3rd Apple dissappointment in a day! Wow..
  • Reply 26 of 57
    thank god for the iPod Nano. this moto Phone, as i expected, is just a piece of shite. screw it. Jobs is smart. he was like, let this generate buzz, the ROKR sucks ass visually, and feeling wise, but whatevs. more iPod, iTunes music store publicity, plus licensing royalties from motoSucky.

the iPod nano and rest of the ipods is a nice ride out to the christmas season. you know, i really couldn't give a damn if there are no updates 'till Macworld SF2006. which is unlikely, there'll be a few tidbits here and there to sweeten everything up by end of november.

but:

1. no macintels this year

2. no "great" PPC products (by our standards) this year

3. some minor updates to certain lines (not iBook, prolly powerMac, powerBook)

okays. i can get on with my life now.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    also, this is a collaborative milestone. apple has its foot in the door with music labels, cell phone carriers, and while steve + gang stink a bit from having to go through orificies (his own words) to get these collaborations happening, its a step. now next orifice(s) on the table: cable and movie/tv studios.

edit: additionally, i do not forsee any brand dilution, only brand expansion for apple, with the motorola and cingular deals. the iPod name and image is secure, while iTunes is fine on mac or windows. iTunes on mobile ~ well, i dontch know, i havent tried it yet...
  • Reply 28 of 57
    So now Apple is copying Microsoft.

Because Microsoft had a musicphone out 9 months ago; the Audiovox SMT-5600, also from Cingular (then AT&T). Except the Audiovox has a much better interface, supports up to 1GB Mini-SD, doesn't cap the number of songs you can carry, syncs perfectly with Outlook, and also makes calls.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Originally posted by 666

ok, so Sony Erriccson phones have always seemed to be the most completely intergrated phone with apples with Salling Clicker etc. Now, the K750i is a great phone, more applesque than this motorola monstrosity from 1998, so why did they go motorola? If they did this with SE the phone would have been amazing! Was it a 'sorry about going to intel, dudes' kind of thing? 3rd Apple dissappointment in a day! Wow..

heh... dude, all of us SonyEricsson fans were shouting for months and months till our voices were hoarse about iPhone should be (iPod mini + SE T630 or K700+) ... to any SE user this Moto, iTunes enabled or not, is a piece of garbage. like i said, thank gawds for the iPod Nano. something white, something black, something slick, something apple.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    The ROKR looks like an updated version of the Motorola E398, which isn't exactly a cutting edge piece of hardware anymore \. It looks like all they have done is changed the colour, added the iTunes software, and maybe one or two other minor tweaks. The funny thing is that the E398 had music playback capability anyway, it was one of the main selling points IIRC .

I won't be getting one, as it's going to have the same old Motorola UI, which isn't a nice as the SE ones - even Nokia's Series 40 interface is better IMO . And the iPod Nano is half the size!

I'd be interested to see if it will sync address book contacts out of the box. Since contact syncing is now handled through iTunes for regular iPods, I would guess it will be the same for the ROKR, so I would hope it can be done out of the box on day one. Even if you end up having to use iSync for that part (which I doubt), the E398 is already supported in iSync, so it might be something that can be added easily by tweaking the files, or even by Apple with an iSync update.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

I've had a T68i for about two years now and it is downright user hostile compared to any Nokia I've ever used, including the ones from 7 years ago. Bad, laggy (!) user interface that should have never left the factory. Searching for names of companies (input from Address Book/iSync) doesn't work, all companies are at the end of the phone book and searching for one (even with exact name) jumps you to the nearest corresponding first name among the persons in the phone book. Color screen but it's just fluff, they didn't design the interface to give you any information with color and there is no camera on this phone. The end result is that the battery runs out faster and the old color screens are less readable than monocolor. Text messaging interface worse than Nokia's. This thing doesn't even tell you when a call in the call log occurred! There's a "call recording" feature which is utterly useless because you can't make it automatic, and you can't transfer the recordings out of the phone even if it has Bluetooth. One of the games would be a good one, if it didn't crash every time it's played.

I hope this breaks down on me soon so I can get a phone I can like. That said, it's the most durable/longest living phone among my last 3.

I've struggled to get Windows to sync my friend's phone to her computer - however all my phones have synched with my mac perfectly. Try upgrading your phone, to the latest Sony phone if you think features are missing- i personally prefer SonyEricsson phones but you could use a nokia.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

yeah, the newer SE phones like my T630 (now outdated ) have near flawless UI and syncing with Mac. i have heard good things about K700+ series although i have not used one. the w800i may be my next phone, although i am soo attached to my t630...
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

yeah, the newer SE phones like my T630 (now outdated ) have near flawless UI and syncing with Mac. i have heard good things about K700+ series although i have not used one. the w800i may be my next phone, although i am soo attached to my t630...

the K750i is very similar to the S700i - they are both very good phones.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

I've struggled to get Windows to sync my friend's phone to her computer - however all my phones have synched with my mac perfectly. Try upgrading your phone, to the latest Sony phone if you think features are missing- i personally prefer SonyEricsson phones but you could use a nokia.

Oh, it's not that I want more features. When I got T68 I just wanted something with Bluetooth and basic call functionality, and that's what the T68 had. My main complaint is that the whole user interface is miles behind what I had seven years earlier on my Nokia 3110. Somehow, miraculously, they have gotten a mobile phone to lag. If you're even slightly fast in pressing buttons, the phone is left behind and creates a "typo". You can't, for instance, open keylock and close keylock as fast as you can press the buttons. A Nokia phone I could use with one hand without looking at it while pedaling a bike in traffic. Not so with the T68, even after two years of adjustment time. It will never be an extension of your body, so to speak.

P800 UI was bad too, for all the same reasons. If anyone knows that SE changed their ways after making the P800, I'm all ears.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Oh, it's not that I want more features. When I got T68 I just wanted something with Bluetooth and basic call functionality, and that's what the T68 had. My main complaint is that the whole user interface is miles behind what I had seven years earlier on my Nokia 3110. Somehow, miraculously, they have gotten a mobile phone to lag. If you're even slightly fast in pressing buttons, the phone is left behind and creates a "typo". You can't, for instance, open keylock and close keylock as fast as you can press the buttons. A Nokia phone I could use with one hand without looking at it while pedaling a bike in traffic. Not so with the T68, even after two years of adjustment time. It will never be an extension of your body, so to speak.

P800 UI was bad too, for all the same reasons. If anyone knows that SE changed their ways after making the P800, I'm all ears.

sony ericsson T630. but don't take my word for it. unless you are really really sensitive to it, i generally don't notice any lag on that, just when you first turn it on you give it some time to "boot up" fully (10-15 secs)... texting, keypad lock/unlock is all generally lag free IMO.

the t630 is simple, inexpensive, elegant, bluetooth, calls, text, very basic camera, probably what your looking for... you would need to test it out though if like i said, you are sensitive to the mobile phone 'laggy UI'.... although, for me, i never really had any lag issues with it....
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

I also expected more.

The Rockr is just ok. Its still nowhere near the Razr

This is probably just the beginning of Apple licensing iTunes for cell phones. To gain momentum before MS can get a foot hold.

With out a doubt Apple is working on their own phone in the labs. Will they actually release it as a product is anther question.

This would be the phone that could sync with Address Book, iCal, iPhoto and so on.

Apple has to play things pretty cool. When they put resources behind a product it needs to succeed.

I think this is a beginning for Apple with cell phones (not the greatest beginning, but no one was really that impressed with the first iPods either)

There will be more iTunes phones... and hopefully they'll be more 'Apple-like'... click wheels, slick design, better interface.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Could this iTunes software be added after-the-fact to other Motorola phones? For instance, could a RAZR phone be made into an iTunes phone?
  • Reply 38 of 57
    My contract with Nexttell is up in Dec so I was looking forward to this iphone thing .....mmm well ....next ....any one have any experiance with Cingular I was looking at the Sony ericsson 710a...I still have time maybe somthing else will come out!!!!
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by cayman

My contract with Nexttell is up in Dec so I was looking forward to this iphone thing .....mmm well ....next ....any one have any experiance with Cingular I was looking at the Sony ericsson 710a...I still have time maybe somthing else will come out!!!!

I would not recommend Moto - they have bad interfaces and are missing key features - like the ability to copy your whole address book in one go!
  • Reply 40 of 57
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Did anyone notice Jobs bungle the demo.

Apparently, the interface is so unintuative that he messed up even after slowing down and deliberately trying to do what he wanted.

It's amazing, we've been doing text based menus for 40 years but still it seems like a new science to some companies. Seriously, how hard is it to build a menu interface which only involves a vertical list of words?

I'll hold out for an iPhone with mininmal buttons and a refined interface. I can't even remember the last time I dialed a phone number. Phone number entry is suprisingly a secondary feature on mobile phones. It is used far less often (by most people) than the menuing system. Perhaps the buttons should be designed accordingly... I'm holding out for a phone with a click wheel.