TS just killed the "future hardware" forum for the rest of the year

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Think Secret (who I put the most faith in) just put out an update saying dual-core G5s are likely (at least at the high end), but no PB revisions. And worst of all for us rumor addicts:

"Sources are also reporting that the pending Power Mac revision will be the last Mac upgrade of the calendar year"

Looks like no G5 minis for the stockings this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Not suprising at all...FreeScale/Moto and now IBM have proven that their designs do not scale as well as they promised them to and have been unable to deliver the new chips in a timely manner. I look for an early delivery of Intel compatible computers near the end of the first quarter or beginning of the second quarter of next year.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

Not suprising at all...FreeScale/Moto and now IBM have proven that their designs do not scale as well as they promised them to and have been unable to deliver the new chips in a timely manner. I look for an early delivery of Intel compatible computers near the end of the first quarter or beginning of the second quarter of next year.

So what, Apple's just going to kiss goodbye an entire quarter of sales? Even if a Yonah Powerbook is going to be announced in Jan, they are just going to let the G4 limp on till then? Actually, I guess they might, its not like they havent done so before... Looks like they intend to survive entirely in ipod sales. The Powermac line will need a damn good refresh to get them through, I'm talking dual dual-cores, 16Gb max memory - possibly DDR2, (its now the same price as DDR and getting faster all the time) 4xSATA channels (all the competing PC platforms have this) and PCI-E graphics is a must.

Dual core P4's, X2's and Opterons are making Apples dual processor mac's look seriously overpriced. Apple needs to go where the others cant (yet) follow at the same pricepoint - 4 processors. When the first Dual-proc 2Ghz G5 came out, there was a serious "WOW" factor, backed up by real, serious performance. They have to get that back otherwise the Powermac will become increasingly irrelevant.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    It's really not a big deal.

Marketing wise, this will only make the Intel versions looks better, Apple can coast this one out. I rather see them spend development money on the new platform, as opposed to squeezing out what's left in the powerpc line up.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    m1cm1c Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

So what, Apple's just going to kiss goodbye an entire quarter of sales? Even if a Yonah Powerbook is going to be announced in Jan, they are just going to let the G4 limp on till then? Actually, I guess they might, its not like they havent done so before... Looks like they intend to survive entirely in ipod sales. The Powermac line will need a damn good refresh to get them through, I'm talking dual dual-cores, 16Gb max memory - possibly DDR2, (its now the same price as DDR and getting faster all the time) 4xSATA channels (all the competing PC platforms have this) and PCI-E graphics is a must.

Dual core P4's, X2's and Opterons are making Apples dual processor mac's look seriously overpriced. Apple needs to go where the others cant (yet) follow at the same pricepoint - 4 processors. When the first Dual-proc 2Ghz G5 came out, there was a serious "WOW" factor, backed up by real, serious performance. They have to get that back otherwise the Powermac will become increasingly irrelevant.

why would they go through all that just to look like they are downgrading next year? There is no sense to your comment. "lets do something we have never done just to take it off in 6 months." sorry not going to happen it will just be a speed bump.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Not trying to be an apologist, but the flip side could be some price reductions among the Powerbook line.

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 51
    m1cm1c Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Not trying to be an apologist, but the flip side could be some price reductions among the Powerbook line.

Nick

very good point...8GB of memory sounds good this time of year
  • Reply 7 of 51
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It may just be that the 7448s aren't going to be out soon enough for an update before the Intels come.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Nick

Yes, give the PB's a speed bump (however small), and drop the 15 and 17" models by $200.

Drop the 12" and replace with 13" widescreen for the same price.

• Reply 9 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by M1C

why would they go through all that just to look like they are downgrading next year? There is no sense to your comment. "lets do something we have never done just to take it off in 6 months." sorry not going to happen it will just be a speed bump.

What makes you think none of this would be possible for an Intel powermac? The future Xeon-class chipsets will be dual socket at least, 8 ram slots is certainly possible, and all the rest is already standard. Where is the downgrading in that? And I was refering to the Powerbooks not being upgraded when I said it's not like they havent done it before.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I expect as soon as 7448s are available in good quantities, Apple will drop them into PowerBooks. If it's October, November, early December or January I think it will happen rather quietly. Think Secret admits to not knowing anything and Apple probably doesn't know for sure when they'll have the thousands of 7448s they need.

Intel PowerBooks probably won't come until late spring at the earliest. There will be no replacement (case redesign) for the 12" model until then, at which time all PowerBooks will get a "facelift." That's my guess.

As for "kissing goodbye" an entire quarter of sales, didn't Apple announce in their last quarter's financial results that they sold more portables than ever before? And, that was a typically slow quarter. I doubt PowerBook sales are hurting. Lots of folks buy them for what they are; great portable computers. Only a small percentage of people are biting their nails waiting for upgrades.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I am so glad I waited. TS is very reliable. now hopefully we see at Paris the update. It seems to be a good purchase now and wait for rev.b for the Powermac Intel.

Go Apple!

I was surprise when Steve canceled the keynote then after I thought he doesn't want to personally introduce any PPC for Powermac and PowerBooks. He doesn't want to contradict himself saying how great they are and then few months later praise Intel.

I guess the reason for canceling was another new product on the pipeline that Apple could not deliver on time for the Expo!
  • Reply 12 of 51
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

I am so glad I waited. TS is very reliable. now hopefully we see at Paris the update. It seems to be a good purchase now and wait for rev.b for the Powermac Intel.

Go Apple!

I was surprise when Steve canceled the keynote then after I thought he doesn't want to personally introduce any PPC for Powermac and PowerBooks. He doesn't want to contradict himself saying how great they are and then few months later praise Intel.

I guess the reason for canceling was another new product on the pipeline that Apple could not deliver on time for the Expo!

I think the reason is that the ROKR sucked that much, Steve needed the iPod nano to save his show. So they cancelled the planned introduction in Paris and cancelled the keynote
  • Reply 13 of 51
    So.. now all we need are

iPhone 2

iTunes Movie/Video Store

OS X 10.5 Garfield

G6 Desktops

iTablet

Newton X

iWork 2.0

• Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

I think the reason is that the ROKR sucked that much, Steve needed the iPod nano to save his show. So they cancelled the planned introduction in Paris and cancelled the keynote

I'm sure Steve new for quite some time about the dubious nature of the ROKR.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

What makes you think none of this would be possible for an Intel powermac? The future Xeon-class chipsets will be dual socket at least, ...

Don't go rolling your eyes at us. As has been pointed out, many times, in other threads, those dual-dual Intels are not available today, and when they are available in mid-2006 (9 months from now), they will likely cost about $3K per processor. If there is to be a dual-dual Intel in a PowerMac, it is probably more than 2 years away.

The PowerMac is a medium-priced, workstation-class machine. It is not a server. It will likely go to a dual-core P4 chip or possibly a Conroe, similar to the developer kit machines of today. FTM, it may start out as a single-core P4. It will never be a Xeon.

(edit) As to the thread title, TS can't kill this forum as long as there are people who Want To Believe. Personally, I want to believe in a 7448-based 13" widescreen iBook...
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

So.. now all we need are

OS X 10.5 Garfield

I'm waiting for OS X 10.7 Snowball II
  • Reply 17 of 51
    The question is, when does Apple start using Thundercat characters for naming? and will they use animation cels for promos?
  • Reply 18 of 51
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I WANT.....
  • Reply 19 of 51
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

[i]

(edit) As to the thread title, TS can't kill this forum as long as there are people who Want To Believe. Personally, I want to believe in a 7448-based 13" widescreen iBook... [/B]

.....TO BELIEVE!!!!

• Reply 20 of 51
    Let's not forget - Think Secret really blew the predictions for the iTunes Phone and Mini. You can no longer consider the site reliable.