Two slurpees and an iPod nano, please?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
7-Eleven will begin selling iPods in its Japanese convenience stores later this month according an online report.

United Press International on Monday said the convenience retailer will begin marketing up to five versions of Apple's iPod at its nearly 11,000 Japanese locations.

"Customers will be able to place their orders at a local store, and the iPod will arrive two or three days later," the report says.

Curiously, as of 1:30 PM eastern time on Monday the report was no longer accessible from UPI's website.

7-Eleven operates over 27,900 stores worldwide, many of which had previously signed up to sell prepaid gift cards to Apple's iTunes music store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    One thing to keep in mind about Japanese 7-11 stores is that they're quite a bit different than in the US. They're more like Wal-Mart, well maybe not that big, but they're more than the drink-and-magazine convenience stores that they are in the US. They sell CD and DVDs and a much greater variety of products. They're extremely popular in many parts of Asia.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Buying an iPod at 7-11 strikes me as odd. Buying the MID-range iPod, even odder. But placing an ORDER and then coming back for an iPod... I guess 7-11s ARE different there
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ronnronn Posts: 655member
    There use to be a 7-11 near the Jacob Javits Convention Center. I went there a few times and was amazed during my first trip: there were many items that customers could buy; a wide variety of foods, drinks, calling cards, gift cards, "disposable" VISA cards, and electronics. So this wouldn't surprise me. At least not for the Japanese market.

I don't think it would work in the U.S. unless customers could walk out with the iPod in hand. Even then...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The Japanese are used to waiting, whether it's on a line or for an ordered product. It's a cultural thing. This mighr work out well.

The iPods have a long way to go in Japan. Anything that helps...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Not surprising, Japanese convenience stores make North American convenience stores look like a joke. It's more like "I'll take an onigiri, green tea slurpee, some of these groceries which cost only 10-20 cents more than the bigger supermarkets, pay my cell phone bill, and a 4GB iPod Nano please"