Apple quietly plans massive presence at PhotoPlus Expo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Although it has yet to announce such plans, Apple Computer is expected to have the largest presence of any exhibitor at this week's PhotoPlus Expo in Manhattan, AppleInsider has learned.

The three day conference targets the photographic and imaging industries and is scheduled to run from Oct 20th through Oct 22nd at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center.

In a very exclusive digital invite to members of the media last week, Apple announced that it would hold a special event inside the same venue on the eve of the expo to introduce its "latest pro innovations."

The invitations were black and contained an image of a large camera lens.

Sources familiar with Apple's product plans say the Mac maker is set to introduce new PowerBooks, Power Macs and make a significant photography-related product announcement at the event

Additionally, AppleInsider has now been told that Apple plans to hang around the PhotoPlus Expo for the three days that will follow (as an exhibitor). In fact, documents show the company to have registered booth number 338 -- the largest exhibition space on the show floor.

Organizers for PhotoPlus Expo failed to return phone calls regarding Apple's exhibition plans.

It appears that Apple has gone through extensive measures to keep its planned presence at the expo a secret until now, further fueling speculation as to what new products it plans to introduce and show.

Other exhibitors scheduled to have a large presence at PhotoPlus include Adobe, Hewlett-Packard, Canon, Epson, Olympus, Fuji, Nikon, and Kodak.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    Holy crap.

This is going to be so huge.

I'm not ready.
  • Reply 2 of 85
    I'm giddy as a school girl! (wait...)
  • Reply 3 of 85
    the suspense is killing me
  • Reply 4 of 85
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    largest booth in the show. they must expect to have some serious crowds playing with the new hardware. the attendees might even notice the new software, too.
  • Reply 5 of 85
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    ps: occurs to me such events may take the place of the former macword NY events. ie: USA-based hardware introductions offset from MWSF.
  • Reply 6 of 85
    Oh lord, can we stop posting the same news item over and over again? We all know the event is tomorrow. No news = no new post. Just wait it out!
  • Reply 7 of 85
    i can't decide if the major new product that is related to photography is an application or hardware. you know an apple branded digital camera would be awesome...
  • Reply 8 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bmaier

Oh lord, can we stop posting the same news item over and over again? We all know the event is tomorrow. No news = no new post. Just wait it out!

No!

Apple will show Photo Booth Pro tomorrow!!!
  • Reply 9 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

No!

Apple will show Photo Booth Pro tomorrow!!!

Not Photo Booth Pro, Photolab.
  • Reply 10 of 85
    The Apple Store has the 15" & 17" PBs shipping in 3-5 days. The 12" is within 24 hours. The PM is 3-5 days.

With a large mystery booth anything can happen. I don't think Steve J would go to this effort if it was a small incremental increase.

I'm going to try to sleep late tomorrow so I'm not at the office waiting for this to start. Get there about 10:30, get the coffee and the computer set up and I'll be ready.
  • Reply 11 of 85
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Just from Macosxrumors.com:

for the third time in ten weeks, Apple has scheduled a press event so as to announce new products, keeping a constant buzz on the company?s product releases.

As we said in an earlier posting that predicted Apple was about to announce another wave of products, the most likely Mac families to be updated this week are PowerMacs and Powerbooks.

More recent reports tend to confirm that these two line-ups will be updated and suggest that the release of the new PowerMacs could be followed by an update on the Cinema Displays line-up. There is maybe something coming on the software side as well - and this time it has to do with photography.

We have had very little information about the forthcoming hardware?s technical specifications. However, some of these characteristics are getting rather easy to guess.

PowerMacs:

Apple released a new iMac last week that includes new DDR400 memory and PCI-Express graphics. We can deduce that these characteristics will also be added to the new PowerMacs along with dual core PowerPC 970MP chips, at least for some of the models.

Earlier this year, evidence of the existence of dual-core support on some Apple?s developer utilities had been revealed by readers, while IBM also reckoned that the PowerPC 970MP chip exists.

We can expect dual-core and PCI-Express to arrive on the high-end PowerMacs at least and maybe also on the mid-range PowerMac.

Powerbooks:

As for the Powerbooks, the use of the MPC7448 PowerPC G4 processor from Freescale is also an obvious choice for Apple, considering that the MPC7447A that is used in the current product line has already hit or surpassed its clock speed limits. Additionally, it appears that this chip is now available in quantity. There is clearly no reason for Apple to not use this chip while there are a few reasons for the company to not use a G5 chip.

If we take a look on our earlier reports that deal with the Powerbooks, we have three reports we may consider.

- A reader had hinted in February that there was a mistake on the last generation Powerbook?s manual, suggesting that Apple was working on Powerbooks with higher screen resolution.

- Sources have already mentioned late last year the possible use of the MPC7448 processor on future Powerbook lines late last year.

- Last year, we had reported that Apple may drop the 12? model for a new form factor in the future.

So we may expect a slightly faster Powerbook line up with higher resolution screens (up to 1440x970 for the 17?). The 12? Powerbook should disappear and maybe be replaced by another form factor that does not compete with the iBook.

Cinema Displays?

Back in late September, we had reported that new Cinema Displays were coming within the next two months. We may also infer some of the specifications of the new monitors by looking at the improvements of the new iMac?s display.

If you compare the specs of the 20? inch iMac?s screen and the Cinema Display 20?, you?ll notice that the iMac?s screen contrast ratio is 800:1 and brightness is 280cd /m2 while the Cinema Display 20? has a 400:1 contrast ratio and 250cd /m2 brighness. Response time is not given for the iMac?s screen while its 16ms (typical) for all the Cinema Displays.

So if they?re updated, the new displays will get at least improvements in terms of contrast ratio and maybe in response time. We wouldn?t exclude the inclusion of an iSight although we had no reports about it. However, we?re quite certain that prices will drop significantly, especially on the entry and mid-range models.

Photo retouching software?

During the last weekend, we received an unconfirmed report claiming that Apple was on the verge of releasing a professional photo retouching application. Although it will have similar photo retouching features, the application is not believed to be a real competitor to Adobe Photoshop in terms of market targeting.

What we don?t expect?

This event is clearly related to professional announcements, according to the invitation sent to the press, so we don?t expect any iPod or entry-level Mac related announcements.

Although updated Mac minis have already started shipping to customers since late last month, we don?t believe it will be part of the announcements. If the Mac mini is updated, we expect it to be done quietly, along with the re-opening of the online Apple Store at the special event?s end.
  • Reply 12 of 85
    Rumor sites used to be able to get a hold of accurate computer spec info about 1 or 2 days before an event. But it seems lately that AI, ThinkSecret and MacRumors are just playing guessing games. ThinkSecret in particular doesn't seem to know shit about anything going on at Apple nowadays and contradicts itself 4 times before coming to a conclusion only hours before the event.

Right now, all the rumor sites have zero new information. They're just piecing together bits and pieces of old rumors that haven't come to fruition and hoping they'll hit the jackpot. All this info is already public and everyone has speculated on it weeks before the rumor sites actually post anything about it.

I'm surprised every rumor site is still guessing what will come out tomorrow. None of them have said, in all certainty, that, say, SoftwareX will come out or that HardwareY with SpecZ will come out.
  • Reply 13 of 85
    Just an observation, within the past 12-18 months the upgrade manufacturers have been putting out boards with the latest from Moto/Freescale faster than Apple has. With Apple's transition to Intel I don't think that Freescale would hold back the chips for Apple, and since none of the upgrade manufacturers have anounced or even hinted at a 7448 board I don't think that the chips are ready yet. I think PB upgrades will at best hit the 2Ghz level with 7447 chips in them, and a quick transition to Intel at the end of the first quarter of next year.
  • Reply 14 of 85
    xav3xxav3x Posts: 36member
    i think its good this way. we get to hear what "might" come out. Whats the fun if we already know? this is great.. i love the suspense. I hope there will be a keynote on this as well.. woohoo!!
  • Reply 15 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by forda

i can't decide if the major new product that is related to photography is an application or hardware. you know an apple branded digital camera would be awesome...

Since this is a pro photo show it would have to be either a dSLR, or a digital Rangefinder. Either option implies interchangable lenses. How does Apple choose which lens interface to use? What possible innovation could Apple bring to the table for the professional that hasn't been addressed by Nikon and Canon(whose high end cameras are both highly regarded among professionals)?

No, the big "black hole" of functionality for professionals is speed of workflow and dealing with tens of thousands of images if not more. I expect Apple to heavily leverage Spotlight, whatever comes.

(Note I didn't mention Rangefinders. While they are wonderful cameras and underserved by the market, there is good reason for it. They are largely niche market cameras and not a viable market for Apple, I think, even with the smaller number/higher margin nature of pro gear.)
  • Reply 16 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Rumor sites used to be able to get a hold of accurate computer spec info about 1 or 2 days before an event. But it seems lately that AI, ThinkSecret and MacRumors are just playing guessing games. ThinkSecret in particular doesn't seem to know shit about anything going on at Apple nowadays and contradicts itself 4 times before coming to a conclusion only hours before the event.

Right now, all the rumor sites have zero new information. They're just piecing together bits and pieces of old rumors that haven't come to fruition and hoping they'll hit the jackpot. All this info is already public and everyone has speculated on it weeks before the rumor sites actually post anything about it.

I'm surprised every rumor site is still guessing what will come out tomorrow. None of them have said, in all certainty, that, say, SoftwareX will come out or that HardwareY with SpecZ will come out.

This all makes it far more exciting honestly. It almost makes up for the lack of a live keynote feed... like we had in years past.
  • Reply 17 of 85
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

This all makes it far more exciting honestly. It almost makes up for the lack of a live keynote feed... like we had in years past.

Agreed. Lets review:

1) Nano intro, wow!

2) New iMac intro, Totally unexpected and sweet! + bonus video iPod

3) Minor PB & PM speed bump??

Doesn't sound like Steve to me. Gotta be something impressive. Either new PB/PM's or something entirely new.

Corey

8)
  • Reply 18 of 85
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    man, apple is so P*WNING right now! they have totally deprecated macworld NY and paris expo, clamped down on leaks, and become extremely strategic with their event based marketing.

as i used to work a little in event marketing, i can tell you that the crew that are responsible for PhotoPlus Expo are ecstatic about Apple taking up the largest booth though they are probably a bit nervous (and confused) about the huge secrecy. i have never ever heard of a major tech event in which some company booked the largest floor space and kept it so under wraps.

man, so this is how apple rolls
  • Reply 19 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

Doesn't sound like Steve to me. Gotta be something impressive. Either new PB/PM's or something entirely new.

Exactly. IBM could easily be done with an awesome sequel to the G5. Apple could easily have a digital camera and some awesome new photo software. Even the best G4 possible is still pretty yawnish... but Apple managed a very nice iMac upgrade with only a 100mhz bump... proving there are other many other ways to increase value and coolness beyond just processors.

but then again, everyone with low expectations will just be more excited tomorrow, so why not just go ahead and let them be low
  • Reply 20 of 85
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    there will be NO apple pro photo HARDWARE. NO cameras, unless you mean isight stuff.

People I don't mean to be a jerk, but Have any of you ever been to photopro? It's professionals, not kids, not ipod lovers, no imacs, but people who spend millions of dollars a year on high end 50k+ photo equipment.

Apple will release DAM software (digital asset management) and will not compete with Photoshop. You will see updated powerbooks, updated powermacs, YOU WILL NOT SEE an apple camera, rangefinder, strobe light, blacklight, or any sort of equipment you've ever dreamed of running at your beer party.

I'll be at photopro expo :-)

Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

Since this is a pro photo show it would have to be either a dSLR, or a digital Rangefinder. Either option implies interchangable lenses. How does Apple choose which lens interface to use? What possible innovation could Apple bring to the table for the professional that hasn't been addressed by Nikon and Canon(whose high end cameras are both highly regarded among professionals)?

No, the big "black hole" of functionality for professionals is speed of workflow and dealing with tens of thousands of images if not more. I expect Apple to heavily leverage Spotlight, whatever comes.

(Note I didn't mention Rangefinders. While they are wonderful cameras and underserved by the market, there is good reason for it. They are largely niche market cameras and not a viable market for Apple, I think, even with the smaller number/higher margin nature of pro gear.)