• Reply 41 of 62
    for you, maybe.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

45-12

All is right with the world again.

Not when Texas gives up more than twice as many points to Ohio State than Penn State.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Uh oh....

PSU got OSU at home. (17-10)

UT had to play OSU at the horseshoe at night. (25-22)

Against OSU

PSU gave up 230 yards total offense

UT gave up 255 yards total offense

UT got 382 yards total offense

PSU got 195 yards total offense

I know it feels good to have your squad coached by Bernie Lomax up high again, but let's not run silly smack.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    Okay, well, a Texas-Penn State matchup might be interesting at least. Although it feels kind of dirty thinking about it.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    Interesting in the first quarter, while PSU was still within two touchdowns.

ICE BURN!
  • Reply 46 of 62
    Well it's nice to know that even when things are going to hell some of the old favorites still come through for Michigan. The 19 year streak against Minnesota ends. The 11 year streak against Wisconsin ends. We shall see on the 18 year Indiana streak in a few weeks. God forbid. But at least there is always JoePa who runs his record to 3-8 against Michigan. It will be 10 years by next season when his next chance rolls around. Thanks PSU!
  • Reply 47 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

I dont know man, upset alert this week. Playing and winning at Autzen is no easy task. Michigan learned that a few years ago, granted Oregon isn't as good this year as they were when UM played there.

This is an extremely transparent attempt to take the sting off of UM's loss at Autzen that year.

This year's Oregon team is better. That year, UM recovered from the loss better than UO recovered from the victory. UO went on to have a losing record SINCE that game, and prior to this season. UM went to the Rose Bowl if memory serves. No offense, but don't try to whitewash your teams loss at UO that year. And actually, UM threw for over 300 yards in the second half, and almost came back to win that game. The next weekend UO went on to give up 55 points to Washington State in a lopsided loss. Thereafter, they gave up 59 to Arizona State, 42 to U of Washington, 42 to Oregon State, and so it went until this season. Regardless, this year's UO team is better, and UM is one of the biggest underachievers this season.

The Pac-10 has DOMINATED when it counts - BCS games. Check out which conference has the most BCS wins and look at the margins of victory. Sorry, but I can't stand it when conferences with unsopisticated offenses say the Pac-10 is soft when at the end of the season, the PAC-10's blowing out the competition in the biggest bowls. It's empirical.

UO will finish 9-2, USC undefeated, and UCLA will be an 8+ win team, and perhaps even Oregon could be 8+ win teams, and the Pac will be well represented in the bowls. And USC will be the National Champs again..
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by SerpentFruit

[The Pac-10 has DOMINATED when it counts - BCS games. Check out which conference has the most BCS wins and look at the margins of victory.

The SEC actually has the best bowl record but drawing any conclusions with so few games and such similar records is a bit silly. The only thing you might be able to say is that the ACC lagged and that the Big East lags now that the only team from that conference to win a BCS game The records:

SEC = 7-3

PAC 10 = 6-3

Big 10 = 6-5

Big 12 = 4-6

Big East = 3-4

ACC = 1-6

-------------------

Utah = 1-0

Notre Dame = 0-1

The Big East/ACC records with Miami/VT counted as ACC teams by their current affiliation rather than the affilication with the Big East that existed at the time:

ACC = 4-8

Big East = 0-2

Quote:

Sorry, but I can't stand it when conferences with unsopisticated offenses say the Pac-10 is soft when at the end of the season, the PAC-10's blowing out the competition in the biggest bowls. It's empirical.

The PAC 10 hasn't really been anything special in bowls. In fact in the BCS era the PAC is 16-22 in bowls by my reckoning. Not exactly the kind of empirical evidence that buttresses your argument.

Of course comparing bowl records is apples and oranges. Bowl records have as much to do with who you play as how good you are. The PAC 10 also has shitty bowl arrangements which ought to help it have a good record in bowls. Their #2 gets to play the Big 12 #3 in the Holiday Bowl. They have their #4 versus the Big 10 #5 in the Sun Bowl. They now have the Emerald Bowl versus some lesser conference program. They have also had affiliations with the Las Vegas Bowl where they get to play MWC/WAC teams. They have not had any recent bowl matchups with the SEC adn the SEC is generally the strongest and deepest conference. Moreover almost all bowl games are played in nice weather areas which plays to the PAC 10 strength. And yet the conference remains below .500. In it's signature bowl game, the Rose Bowl, the PAC 10 is 3-8 in its last 11 appearances. Not exactly impressive. The truth is that since about 93 the PAC 10 has sucked except for one year and except for one team which is now on a run for the ages. Other than that it is mediocrity.

Frankly the PAC 10 has basically been USC for four years. While USC is clearly the dominant team in college football, the rest of the conference is below average and nothing more. Other htan that the conference has been shit with the exception of 2000 when there were three good teams and for Oregon in 01. Generally speaking is has been probably the fourth best conference and is now the fifth best now with the new ACC. I tend to think the PAC 10 is a bit underrated myself and the Big 12 overrated but whatever.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Prediction: with LSU, Auburn, and either Georgia or Florida remaining on Alabama's schedule, the Crimson Tide will lose at least one of those games.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    Probably more than one.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Frankly the PAC 10 has basically been USC for four years. While USC is clearly the dominant team in college football, the rest of the conference is below average and nothing more. Other htan that the conference has been shit with the exception of 2000 when there were three good teams and for Oregon in 01. Generally speaking is has been probably the fourth best conference and is now the fifth best now with the new ACC. I tend to think the PAC 10 is a bit underrated myself and the Big 12 overrated but whatever.

I know you are talking football and are ranking conferences based on football. But I just feel the need to say that as far as overall athletic programs go, I think the Pac-10 is the runaway leader.

Pac-10 schools have an immense amount of national leading teams in all sports and produce most of the olympians in this country.

Records might be weak recently in football but the Pac-10 consistently lives up to its motto of being the "conference of champions" in nearly every sport.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Tuff year for the Aggies.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    Keep Dennis.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Tough millenium for the Aggies (so far). Maybe they should go back to the SWC.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    They need to find a gimmick coach like Leach to lead them back to quasi-prominence.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    Leach at TAMU is a bad idea. No one wants to see the milkmen doing that many pushups. Plus it would make the Aggie axiom about not losing but just getting outscored actually somewhat true.

Dunno how long Aggie will have to wait for Dennis before they can him. Depends on $ of course but I would guess that no bowl again in 06 will make it hard to keep him.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Michigan beats Ohio State?
  • Reply 58 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Michigan beats Ohio State?

Knock on wood. Hey, don't jinx us! This is my first year as a season ticket holder for Michigan football, and as such its my first Ohio State game. tOSU is currently a 2.5 point favorite. If Michigan does their job and Sparty can somehow take out JoePa, its BCS bowling for the Wolverines.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Leach at TAMU is a bad idea. No one wants to see the milkmen doing that many pushups. Plus it would make the Aggie axiom about not losing but just getting outscored actually somewhat true.

Dunno how long Aggie will have to wait for Dennis before they can him. Depends on $ of course but I would guess that no bowl again in 06 will make it hard to keep him.

Fran at TAMU is the right call, and don't forget, the A&M offense this year is probably the best they've had in 20 years. The problems have come with injuries and oh my, that defense... You can't get one of the premiere passers in the game to perform for you if you don't have anyone to throw to. It's like Montana without Rice, Aikman without Irvin. McNeal has nobody to throw the ball to. Also, the secondary keeps getting burned ... badly. The last 3 quarters of the OU game gave me hope that the Aggies will at least play until the gun, but I think Carl Torbush (the defensive coordinator) is gone at the end of the year. Fran and the Ags will regroup for the Texas game on the 25th and it might be more of a fight than most people think.

Long opinion short, Torbush gets canned, Fran stays because A&M has too much money invested in him not to keep him, and Stephen McGee, Courtney Lewis and a healthy defense wait until next year to make a run at the Big XII title. McNeal and Jaxson Appel will end up playing on Sunday next season.
  • Reply 60 of 62
    You never know with Sparty. But they've pretty clearly quit on the season as they generally do as soon as a game or two does not go their way. They could do it if they tried but they probably won't. Only about a 20% chance of a Sparty win even though they are playing at home.

This conference race was decided the first week of the conference season when PSU eeked out that win over NW and Michigan coughed up that game to Wisconsin where they should have buried them in the first 2/3rds of the game.