Briefly: Intel Macs may sing a different tune, Mac OS X 10.4.4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    Why do I have the feeling we're going to be buying downloadable boot tones from iTunes for $2.50?

I don't really care -- I boot my Macs less often than I have sex!
  • Reply 22 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

Why do I have the feeling we're going to be buying downloadable boot tones from iTunes for $2.50?

Aww. So you're saying you don't get much action?
  • Reply 23 of 102
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

Um..no, I won't.
  • Reply 24 of 102
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

That means I should pity you yet congratulate you for a stable Mac?
  • Reply 25 of 102
    Quote:

roflmyasstotallyoff
  • Reply 26 of 102
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Wasn't there one with the march of death sound? I can't seem to remember which one it was.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Possible stupid question, but how do you change your start-up chime?

TIA
  • Reply 28 of 102
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Wow. A new chime. Innovation at its best.

• Reply 29 of 102
    First post!

Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

I have never seen a Mac crash on powerup that way, not since I worked there. (Funny how they had a lot of used equipment...) Do Macs still have a "failure" chime that plays if the Mac can't even display anything on the screen? Pre-gray-Apple?

(why has no one answered this already?) Current Macs beep when something's wrong. I heard it last working on an almost-new PB. Tried to start it up, and got two beeps. I reseated the RAM, and it was fine.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

TIA

I think it's burned in. You can't change it. It is possible to turn it off, though, if you want ? look around for a utility.

Quote:

This idea makes me cringe... Please, Apple: No!
  • Reply 30 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by PathDæmon

This idea makes me cringe... Please, Apple: No!

Of course they wont. Unlike Windows the mac start-up sound actually has a use - as you stated earlier.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i smell an easter egg forthcoming (i.e. hold down option-shift-m-s to hear ballmer screaming "developers! developers! developers!")

• Reply 32 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Of course they wont. Unlike Windows the mac start-up sound actually has a use - as you stated earlier.

How would this prevent them from allowing people to change it? Anything but beeping and an absence of startup would indicate success.

On the recording of our familiar sound, Reekes said this:

Quote:

Turning the Mac on is one thing, but being forced to reboot from a crash is a totally different experience. I wanted to avoid a sound that would be associated with the crash. I wanted it to sound more like a "palette cleanser"

If the "old Apple" wins, we're never losing that intention in any updates to the sound. But if the new, iPod socks-creating Apple steps up, purchasing sounds wouldn't be out of the question.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i smell an easter egg forthcoming (i.e. hold down option-shift-m-s to hear ballmer screaming "developers! developers! developers!")

It would be fun, but Steve Jobs hates easter eggs. The only one that's made it through in OS X is Mail Senders (Mail.app > Contents > Resources > senders.tiff if you haven't seen it). More would be unlikely.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by PathDæmon

How would this prevent them from allowing people to change it? Anything but beeping and an absence of startup would indicate success.

On the recording of our familiar sound, Reekes said this:

If the "old Apple" wins, we're never losing that intention in any updates to the sound. But if the new, iPod socks-creating Apple steps up, purchasing sounds wouldn't be out of the question.

Perhaps your right, the consumers would probably love it. I will, however, always have my trusty harmonious beep, playing homage to the classic macs.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    I like the sound (pardon the pun) of this!

I've spent countless hours geeking my way through Mactracker. I love computer history in general, and Apple's history is more interesting than most, being one of the few remaining companies which have consistenly produced entire (both software and hardware) consumer systems for twenty-five+ years.

The startup chime seems to have changed with every 'major' evolution in the hardware. So a new one for the Intel-based Mac seems appropriate.

Let's see if it turns up in a future episode of Futurama! (That show's got dozens of Mac references: the Quadra startup chime's in the 'planet of the robots' episode; there's 'Blank Robots: Mac Formatted' in the Nappster episode; and Bender's line: 'I finally meet a nice girl with a pair of legs that don't quit unexpectedly')

Hehe
  • Reply 36 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by damiansipko

Quote:

Aww. So you're saying you don't get much action?

What's even more pathetic is that I'm married!!!!
  • Reply 37 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by displaced

I like the sound (pardon the pun) of this!

I've spent countless hours geeking my way through Mactracker. I love computer history in general, and Apple's history is more interesting than most, being one of the few remaining companies which have consistenly produced entire (both software and hardware) consumer systems for twenty-five+ years.

The startup chime seems to have changed with every 'major' evolution in the hardware. So a new one for the Intel-based Mac seems appropriate.

Let's see if it turns up in a future episode of Futurama! (That show's got dozens of Mac references: the Quadra startup chime's in the 'planet of the robots' episode; there's 'Blank Robots: Mac Formatted' in the Nappster episode; and Bender's line: 'I finally meet a nice girl with a pair of legs that don't quit unexpectedly')

Hehe

yeah but the iterations have always been minor. we'll soon see what the Intel macs behold! I love Futurama!
  • Reply 38 of 102
    Quote:

What's even more pathetic is that I'm married!!!!

Sucks to be you
  • Reply 39 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

TIA

You don't. It's in ROM, so you can't change it.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

OS X is so stable, the boot chime has become unheard of these parts.

Incorrect. This is in hardware, to indicate the status of hardware.

So they did away with the Death Chimes and Sad Mac? What happens if you have bad RAM, what kind of indication do modern Macs give you?

The Start Up Chime is just great. Indicates status, and lets you know you just turned your computer on, rather than waiting minutes to hear some stupid sound from Windows. And it's just friendly.

Chagne is long overdue. I thought the G5 would have some sort of cool surround-sound Chime. That'd be cool for Mactels eh.

Anyhow it's cool if they're changing it. Could be a bit more friendly and light than the current Bong. The Bong is baddass if you have bass way up and didn't turn it down though.