Apple introduces MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    Looks pretty cool... I'm buying one tonight...! Sold my powerbook g4 17 on Christmas eve, guess I've got some extra $$
  • Reply 22 of 77
    Its pretty good, seeing thats its the only thing out there. 256 mb Graphics looks great. Right now it looks a bit pricey. I also thought there might be faster clock speeds. But overall fantastic laptop and i can't see it being over-outdated in 6 months like usuall.

I wonder how much faster dual core processors will be (in reality not theoretically). Finally apple got up to scratch with the bus and ram speeds.

People are complaining about the crapper superdrive, and no fw800. Its not as if many devices used fw 800, and buy a 16x lacie dual-layer lightscribe burner for US$100.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimhill

And the iSight onslaught continues...

As I feared when the iMac was revamped last fall, the built-in iSight was a portent of an overall product line revision. And as I feared, our security personnel at work have flatly ruled out the purchase of iMacs and now MacBook Pros.

So much for the several million dollars a year we spend on Macs...

Note to Apple: make the fargin' iSight a BTO option! There are about a zillion schools, businesses, and government installations that will not accept a camera-equipped machine on the grounds. Can the loss of those markets really be offset by sales from home-users thinking "I'd buy wunnathem Apples if they had a cambruh built in" ?

The iSight is there for video-conferencing - it's not going to be very effective as a spy tool unless you enjoy carting your laptop around with the screen open and facing away from you. You security people need a reality check. I'll happily videoconference with them to explain...oh.

Having ubiquitous iSights is a great move, as it pushed video-conferencing from 'nice to do, if only I had the hardware' to 'why not'
  • Reply 24 of 77
    Apple seems to be streamlining there naming convention, which isn't a bad thing IMHO.

Final Cut Pro / Logic Pro - MacBook Pro

Final Cut Express / Logic Express - MacBook Express

maybe? hmmmm... maybe not.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    My only question is if I order today will my card be charged now (bad) or in Febuary (good).

But I *am* ordering!

• Reply 26 of 77
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

I wonder what they'll call the new Power Macs..

Introducing the new "Mac Pro".

They could just call them Macintoshs.

Works for me. Just like the full size iPod is just called iPod, no extra words needed.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

The Powerbook became MacBook Pro. You can bet that the iBook will be just MacBook.

Not a chance...the MacBook is the next powerbook, they just cant kill the pro end PPC portables untill:

a: Photoshop is ready for Intel.

b: their own Pro apps are officialy ready

c: the hardware quality and OS stability has been vetted in the wild.

Look for the Macbook to become the next iBook, after getting plastic cases and single core CPUs. the powerbooks will not have cameras built in, they will have slightly bigger displays and faster specs than the Macbook (maybe 7200RPM HDDs).

The Macbook is a temporary, Powerbooks and Powermacs with intel at WWDC, iBooks,and Mac Minis will go intel in Paris, or maybe alongside some iTunes/iPod event. (the PPC PMs will be availible for a little while in the same way that OS9 PMs were availible for an extra cost after the OSX only ones came out)

Xserve could see an intel model at WWDC, but the PPC models probably won't be phased out for a few years.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Not a chance...the MacBook is the next powerbook...

Look for the Macbook to become the next iBook...

I am really confused here.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    Quote:

Look for the Macbook to become the next iBook, after getting plastic cases and single core CPUs. the powerbooks will not have cameras built in, they will have slightly bigger displays and faster specs than the Macbook (maybe 7200RPM HDDs).

Erm...

Had you said that on Monday we'd all agree it was a good guess, but now it's a bit odd predicting new 'Powerbooks' when we have them. It's the MacBook Pro.

The iBook (MacBook) will likely be single core, no card slot, no DVI, in plastic, but not just a recased MacBook Pro.

I expect all Macs and displays to get iSight in 2006.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Ooops. Double post.

• Reply 31 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gee4orce

The iSight is there for video-conferencing - it's not going to be very effective as a spy tool unless you enjoy carting your laptop around with the screen open and facing away from you. You security people need a reality check. I'll happily videoconference with them to explain...oh.

Having ubiquitous iSights is a great move, as it pushed video-conferencing from 'nice to do, if only I had the hardware' to 'why not'

I'm not going to go into detail about our security but rest assured there's a darn sight more to be seen in offices than you seem to think. And you are ignoring the key question of my post which was whether or not the company really believes that giving a subset of the population built-in videoconferencing outweighs the loss of sales that will ensue. Yes, Virginia, there are lots of places that will not permit computers with cameras built in and telling them they need a "reality check" ain't gonna change that.

Of course, telling Apple not to build in iSights to every machine ain't gonna change that, either. Sigh.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    Quote:

The Macbook is a temporary, Powerbooks and Powermacs with intel at WWDC, iBooks,and Mac Minis will go intel in Paris, or maybe alongside some iTunes/iPod event.

Perhaps you missed Steve saying "The MacBook Pro.. it's a new name cause we're kinda done with Power and we want the name Mac in front..."

The PowerBook is done, dead, and buried.

MacBook Pro is not temporary, it is the future.

Live with it.

iBooks will IMHO, stay as iBooks, in keeping with iMac, iPod, and all other things consumer.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

The iBook (MacBook) will likely be single core, no card slot, no DVI, in plastic, but not just a recased MacBook Pro.

I expect all Macs and displays to get iSight in 2006.

Was I dreaming or did Jobs say something in his presentation about having all macs have dual processors? I would interpret that then that the new iBook would also have the dual core processor.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Baron von Smiley

Was I dreaming or did Jobs say something in his presentation about having all macs have dual processors? I would interpret that then that the new iBook would also have the dual core processor.

i think he said something like '2 processors in every Macbook pro', but im not sure.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    In the keynote steve said that they are putting the word MAC in all of the models, Mac Mini PowerMac, iMac, Where does this put the iBook Hmmm...interesting.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    ok now im confused, after posting this I was reading and seen that the MacBook is the iBook is this true, or is it going to be the next Powerbook, Or neither. Somebody help me out here thanks.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    MacBook PRO --- means there will be a plain MacBook at some point. Will they go to a MacBook mini???

Nobody mentioned the power cord yet (I didn't see if you did; next time put it is bold!).

I think it is a very nice feature. Actually attended a conference where a major company's presentation was blown when a guy in the front row needed to go to the toilet, stood up, turned left, took two steps, got the fully-extended (i.e. no room to spare) extension cord stuck on his foot, and sent three laptops flying to their premature deaths. This baby won't have that problem.

Many kitchen appliances use cords with magnetic holders. It was about time someone applied basic home tech to high tech.

About the iSight: I am vvery happy to have it. Paranoid companies should worry more about the cameras that come in cel phones, PDAs, pens, buttons and lapels than the ones built into a computer screen that will only be opened inn secure areas. Can you image some clown walking around and trying to take spy photos using a laptop? Not very inconspicuous if you ask me. Powerbooks (possibly under a new name) will come out later this year and they will not have the iSight, which was first built into a consumer machine, the iMac (though many pros use it).
  • Reply 38 of 77
    Why do some of you think we'll still see Powerbooks? Steve made it quite clear the Power naming is over. MacBook Pro is the new name for Apples pro laptop.
  • Reply 39 of 77
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

Fantastic laptop!

So, the logic went that since they were no longer PowerPC computers, "Power" had to go.

But, PowerBooks were called PowerBooks some years before the PowerPC even came out (when the Motorola 68020 was the chip inside them) so they didn't REALLY need to do that.

"MacBook" is growing on me: it's a Mac, in a Book. Wonder what the intel-based iBooks will be called? "iMacBook" maybe!

The performance is growing on me even more. Fantastic laptops!

I can picture the Extreme PC gamers saying... Hey what laptop do you have? Uhhh errr its mah um...... MacBook... pro. And watching them laugh their way out of the store. I think its the lamest name in the world.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Why do some of you think we'll still see Powerbooks? Steve made it quite clear the Power naming is over. MacBook Pro is the new name for Apples pro laptop.

PowerBook = MacBook Pro / iBook = MacBook

The iMac and Mac mini remain as they already have 'Mac' in the name but the PowerMac is a bit of a mystery. It too already has 'Mac' in the name but also has 'Power" which SJ said they were done with. Mac Pro?

This is all going to take some getting used to.