Microsoft ends development of Windows Media Player for Mac

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    I hate even using Office lately in light of MS's blatant lack of enthusiasm in supporting Mac users.

It's like MS is saying, "We're only making this one good product because of anti-trust laws." It's like being the fat girl at the frat party, who can come just as long as she brings the beer.

The highly acclaimed MacBU sounds more like a ghetto, where all the creative Mac users at MS are exiled to die. Bill Gates is like Hitler after he flunked out of art school: bitter at all the more creative folks who make him look bad.

BTW, the portion of the keynote where Ross Ho speaks just came on. In comparison to Steve's presentation she is just pathetic -- obviously reading from cue cards and unable to focus with absolutely no enthusiastic tone in her voice.
  • Reply 42 of 81
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Is Ros Ho a native English speaker though? She certainly was crap but most people are at public speaking and Steve Jobs really is one of the best. If you want to learn about public speaking you could really learn a lot from him and his slide preparation.
  • Reply 43 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Is Ros Ho a native English speaker though? She certainly was crap but most people are at public speaking

Who knows. But what company 'committed' to creating quality products sends out its worst speaker? If a lowly member of a programming team can do a better job than her, he should be presenting.

Hell, if she was serious about a word she said she would have taken an entire day to prepare. It's the whole idea of your products' image being at stake -- the only thing that puts food on your table. Apparently she's not worried about that, since there will always be another spot in the MS empire for her to thrive.

With all the rave reviews MS Office for Mac receives how come nobody mentions that it is a sluggish POS? It's absolutely inexcusable that I can type faster than it can do spell checking. Have you ever edited a large document in Word? Sometimes when chopping up a long sentence or paragraph you don't see underlined misspellings until rereading the entire document. Performance wise the PC version trumps the Mac release.

VPC since MS's acquisition of it has been an absolute joke. They've done nothing significant to it -- at all, aside ensuring that SP2 would run under it. I [b]really/b] wonder what the MacBU has been doing all day for the past 5 years, because they sure as hell haven't been developing software. Remember the Gobe Productive guys? How big was their development team? Probably much less than MS's, though they could still turn out a decent product with regular updates. Office gets updated what, two, three times a year? Where's right-to-left support in Office for Mac? The PC version has had it since like 1997 -- TEN YEARS AGO.

Committed my ass. Their biggest announcement, one that would have been worth mentioning at the keynote might have been the death of WMP of Mac, and its replacement with Flip4Mac. Perhaps she could have discussed the benefits of Flip4Mac over WMP, and how they (ideally) are committed to working alongside its developers to ensure future compatibility with WMP codecs. Of course, that didn't happen. It's the usual MacBU bullshit (i.e., we haven't developed a single thing for Mac users in five years, but let us throw you this bone with a MSN Messenger update! WOW!!!)

Please please MacBU -- do something or just fade away. When you're done sucking us dry for MS Office for Mac dollars you're just going to dump us. MS is the gold digging girlfriend who won't erase Mac users from its cell phone contact list.
  • Reply 44 of 81
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    if you thought Rose Ho (what an unfortunate name to have in the US) seemed uncomfortable this time, the last time she was on stage last year or so I thought she was gonna die. I've rarely ever seen someone THAT nervous before.
  • Reply 45 of 81
    She works for the major competitor of the company whose conference it is and a good portion of the mac followers choose to hate Microsoft as a whole for no good reason. I'd be nervous if I was her too...probably not that nervous but still nervous.
  • Reply 46 of 81
    Good point, Telomar. She has shown courage, actually, being in a hard place. Reading what she writes, she seems committed to the Mac business unit keeping up with the Mac. I would think she is pretty busy, but she does respond to personal emails.

I was thinking about getting office(that promo they have going) when I went to buy an intel iMac today, but it slipped my mind.

I hate miscrosoft, at least, much of its past business practice. Amazingly, bedouin sounds more strong than I do when I start grumping about the evil empire. He has a lot on point, though.

One reason I would think that redmond was eager to have this five year deal is that they are afraid. If they can keep office going, it forestalls any effort by Apple to move in to the enterprise. And Apple has not seemed very strongly minded to do so, which would be a bigger matter than providing an alternative to office. Apple seems to be pretty content to stick with this for the time being, a peace with ms.
  • Reply 47 of 81
    - "Like any other company, we have business priorities. Our focus really is in delivering the best experience to Windows customers." -

Uh....since when?\
  • Reply 48 of 81
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Another nice thing with flip4mac that we never got with WMP is that we can now play WMA streams in iTunes

Try some of them from http://www.surfmusic.de

Edit: scratch that, looks the one I tried were actually MPEG stream. I tried some others which were WMA and they didn't work.
  • Reply 49 of 81
    Actually it is possible. If you have QT Pro you can export a WMP stream as a .mov file. It is just a windows media file in a mov wrapper and it'll play in iTunes.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Actually it is possible. If you have QT Pro you can export a WMP stream as a .mov file. It is just a windows media file in a mov wrapper and it'll play in iTunes.

Are you sure?

According to http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_upgrades.htm you need to upgrade to have any kind of export functionality.
  • Reply 51 of 81
    Anybody consider that perhaps they were about to come out with a full blown media suite? No? Okay... just checking..

Because *that* is where they are trying to make bank. If they don't get something like Front Row I'd be surprised. Axing Media Player might not be the end of things...

All I'm saying is give it about 6 months before you pronounce MS media dead on the Mac.
  • Reply 52 of 81
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

According to http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_upgrades.htm you need to upgrade to have any kind of export functionality.

Yep. I paid $10 for WMV Player then got a coupon after it was free and used that for a free WMV Import upgrade. So far I've only done one conversion, opening a WMV file with QuickTime Pro and exporting to MPEG-4, which worked fine.
  • Reply 53 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Are you sure?

That's export as in re-encode. You just need QT Pro to save movies from a website. Note you don't seem able to save as source only as a mov file. Not sure why that was.

The movies I've actually tested it on aren't exportable as they used the WM8 codec so no risk there.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

I [sort of] have to use Entourage 2004 at work. I haven't figured out how to use Mail with Exchange since my firm upgraded its Exchange server. At any rate, my situation gives me a front row seat to Entourage in all of its suckiness. If Microsoft were honest, it would chuck Entourage and replace it with a MacOS X port of Outlook. If.

Why is everybody in this thread so resolutely convinced that Outlook is the best email program ever? It isn't. It's not even close.

This is:

Thunderbird

And if any of you try to counter argue that Outlook is a "business app" and Thunderbird is a "toy", think again. I use Thunderbird at work (granted, it's the Windows version) and easily get 400-500 emails a day. Thunderbird is more of a business app because it:

1) Allows me to create unlimited filters (Outlook is limited to something like 16).

2) Colours my emails in my inbox according to criteria I definitne according to my filters (Outlook only adds a coloured flag, and these flags count as filters against the 16).

3) Allows me to seemlessly view messages by thread.

4) Spell check as you type is part of Thunderbird 1.5.

5) etc...

OK, so Thunderbird doesn't come with a calendering app, but there's nothing preventing me from using Outlook as a standalone calendering app at work (which I do).

I've never used Mail.app, so I can't really criticize it. Still, I get annoyed whenever somebody insinuates that Outlook is the "gold standard" of email apps. That's simply not true.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Maybe you ought to try Mail app.
  • Reply 56 of 81
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Yep. I paid $10 for WMV Player then got a coupon after it was free and used that for a free WMV Import upgrade. So far I've only done one conversion, opening a WMV file with QuickTime Pro and exporting to MPEG-4, which worked fine.

Hmm, I paid $10 for WMV Player too and I don't think I ever got a coupon for this. Do you have any more information?
  • Reply 57 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Maybe you ought to try Mail app.

That's what I was thinking. All of those points raised for Thunderbird, Apple's Mail.app does and yet it also uses the OS native tools and integrates with AddressBook and iCal, not Mozillas second rate offerings. On Windows I used to always use Eudora. I've not used Thunderbird on Windows but the OSX version crashed a lot when I suggested it for someone I know who was a big Eudora fan. He's still using Eudora on OSX.
  • Reply 58 of 81
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Maybe the NeoOffice effort (in the short term) should be focused solely on providing a native Word Processor and Spreadsheet.

I think that would be really hard to do, considering how intertwingled the OpenOffice code is told to be.

More promising would be to focus on a much better native version of Abiword, a stand-alone open source Word processor that closely emulates only Word (Currently it looks more like Word 95, but is slow as molasses).
  • Reply 59 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by Token

I think that would be really hard to do, considering how intertwingled the OpenOffice code is told to be.

More promising would be to focus on a much better native version of Abiword, a stand-alone open source Word processor that closely emulates only Word (Currently it looks more like Word 95, but is slow as molasses).

Actually, the OpenOffice.org developers are working on a native OSX version already.

I have to say, I think it's a bloated mess. I've been playing with Pages v2 - very nice software.
  • Reply 60 of 81
    Go here and let them know. Great folks they'll help.

http://www.flip4mac.com/request.htm

Quote:

Originally posted by bedouin

Hmm, I paid $10 for WMV Player too and I don't think I ever got a coupon for this. Do you have any more information?