iPod not showing up on iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Last night, I tried uploading more music into my iPod and when I connected it, the iPod icon showed up on my desktop but it never came up on my iTunes. I checked for updates and I am up to date on everything. Anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    ericaerica Posts: 60member
    Quote:

Originally posted by themachines04

Last night, I tried uploading more music into my iPod and when I connected it, the iPod icon showed up on my desktop but it never came up on my iTunes. I checked for updates and I am up to date on everything. Anyone else having this problem?

i am having this exact problem! i previously had itunes 5 on my mac, so i thought that may have been the problem so i downloaded itunes 6 and it still isn't showing up.

to be honest, i didn't even care about the ipod, i got it from work as a bonus and thought i'd see what it's like. now, i am completely obsessed with getting it to work!

is yours a nano too? also, it did work before?? that is so weird if it suddenly just stopped!

hope someone is able to help us with this, can't handle this dumb ipod obsession much longer!

thanks!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Did you try closing and reopening iTunes? That's all I have to do when it happens to me.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    i did, tons of times. this stinks. i even reset my ipod and reistalled the ipod software. hmmmm, i wonder what it could be.

thanks for the suggestion though!

Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Did you try closing and reopening iTunes? That's all I have to do when it happens to me.

• Reply 4 of 21
    I've always found it happened when I had iTunes open and connected my Nano through a hub. It'd mount on the desktop but not iTunes until I relaunched it. Sorry I couldn't help you beyond that. Seems to be a quirk in Nanos because I've never seen it on my 30GB iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I have a 4th Generation iPod and it worked fine up until I updated to 10.4.4 and got the latest iTunes update. I'm pretty sure that I hadn't tried updating my ipod any time before I got those updates. I have already tried restarting my powerbook, dragging the desktop ipod icon to my iTunes and I even tried restarting with the ipod already plugged into the firewire drive and nothing worked.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    What kind of iPod is it? If it is a 5G or a nano you have to use USB2, firewire is no longer supported to transfer songs to the iPod.

[edit: I just realised that you stated that you have a 4th gen, I dont know what to tell you. Sorry.]
  • Reply 7 of 21
    i have a nano - but am not too familiar with computer terminoligy....um, what is USB2??? and what is firewire? so, do i have to buy something else for it? sorry about being a technological moron, but i really have no clue!

Quote:

Originally posted by NaturalElement

What kind of iPod is it? If it is a 5G or a nano you have to use USB2, firewire is no longer supported to transfer songs to the iPod.

[edit: I just realised that you stated that you have a 4th gen, I dont know what to tell you. Sorry.]

• Reply 8 of 21
    wait... so confused. on my nano, if i go into the menu, then "settings", then "about" it says "format: windows". does that mean that i am not able to use it on my mac?? oh no - i hope not! i've never even used this thing -i am so confused! thanks in advance!
  • Reply 9 of 21
    The cable that comes with the Nano is a Dock to USB 2 cable. It connects to the computer and the dock is the port in the bottom of the nano.

Quote:

Originally posted by erica

wait... so confused. on my nano, if i go into the menu, then "settings", then "about" it says "format: windows". does that mean that i am not able to use it on my mac?? oh no - i hope not! i've never even used this thing -i am so confused! thanks in advance!

Nope. Mine is formatted in Windows too. It does however mean you can't update the iPods software from a mac though, which is annoying.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Not sure about everyone else, but I had this problem. Didn't go away until I closed and relaunched itunes. I actually WANT my ipod formatted for windows in FAT32, but I can't find a way to do it on my mac. Disk utility doesn't offer the option (anymore; I'm on OSX 10.4.8 ) . Guess I'll have to use a PC.

There was a question about firewire vs USB. The symbols next to the ports on your mac will tell you. USB symbol looks kind of like a pitch fork. Firewire looks like a "Y" with an open circle in the middle.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    rspressrspress Posts: 31member
    I am having the same problem with my 3G iPod. It has been working flawlessly for many years but I tried to mount it and update my songs and it will show up on the desktop but not in iTunes. It does show up in the system profiler. I reset the iPod via the updater and keypresses. I trashed the plist files for the iPod and iTunes. Still nothing.

What was strange was that Yami-pod does not see it as an iPod either so it is not just iTunes.

My iPod shuffle works just fine and mounts right away in iTunes.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    squall58squall58 Posts: 29member
    your problem is easy to see in Itunes, do you use Itunes7? if so, it can be solved.i only use iTunes to transfer, no ripping, when i ripping ,i used Imtoo for my movie and music .
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squall58 View Post

your problem is easy to see in Itunes, do you use Itunes7? if so, it can be solved.i only use iTunes to transfer, no ripping, when i ripping ,i used Imtoo for my movie and music .

I actually fixed my problem by resetting the PRAM on the eMac. After I reset the PRAM the iPod showed up when mounted and launched iTunes and started to sync.

Problem solved!

• Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rspress View Post

I actually fixed my problem by resetting the PRAM on the eMac. After I reset the PRAM the iPod showed up when mounted and launched iTunes and started to sync.

Problem solved!

hey,congratuation~lucy guy~ maybe resetting the PRAM can also hlep me to solve my iPod's problem! the movie which is ripping by imtoo and then i transfer it to my iPod by Itunes, but for every folder of movie, there has a files which name is auto.ini~ and i can not delete it~
  • Reply 15 of 21
    alice167alice167 Posts: 4member
    Quote:

well ,is that ture? never hear that before? what do you mean about Imtoo? is that a tool ?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

hey,congratuation~lucy guy~ maybe resetting the PRAM can also hlep me to solve my iPod's problem! the movie which is ripping by imtoo and then i transfer it to my iPod by Itunes, but for every folder of movie, there has a files which name is auto.ini~ and i can not delete it~

If the .ini file is in there with your movie file I would not worry about it. These are usually information files that instruct or intialize a program. There is a way to remove them but you must be really carefull with the command as it will erase everything you tell it to without asking! Even your entire hard drive!

Since it is so dangerous I won't tell you want to do, you will have to read for yourself so you know what you are doing. Do a google search for the unix rm (remove) command. It will explain this command and how to use it.

Here is a good, quick primer on the command:

http://www.devdaily.com/unix/edu/examples/rm.shtml
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alice167 View Post

well ,is that ture? never hear that before? what do you mean about Imtoo? is that a tool ?

it is a tool for ripping movie,i purchased it by accident,but for ripping movie ,a little powerful than free tool.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rspress View Post

If the .ini file is in there with your movie file I would not worry about it. These are usually information files that instruct or intialize a program. There is a way to remove them but you must be really carefull with the command as it will erase everything you tell it to without asking! Even your entire hard drive!

Since it is so dangerous I won't tell you want to do, you will have to read for yourself so you know what you are doing. Do a google search for the unix rm (remove) command. It will explain this command and how to use it.

Here is a good, quick primer on the command:

http://www.devdaily.com/unix/edu/examples/rm.shtml

thanks for your advice~ i will think about carefully before i use this command. i think the auto.ini is a virus before,why the other folders do not have this file~only in the movie folder. according to
    Quote:

These are usually information files that instruct or intialize a program

, i think maybe it is brought by my movie ripping tool~ But my iPod is good , no thing wrong~,i think it is not harmful to my iPod
  • Reply 19 of 21
    cloud167cloud167 Posts: 20member
    Quote:

not the problem of the converter(i do not know imtoo ) ,in window,there is a virus called auto.ini. But sometimes it only happen in flash memory~
  • Reply 20 of 21
    cloud167cloud167 Posts: 20member
    Quote:

well, i can not agree with you that iTunes is not a good tool~,include transfer, iTunes also can ripping music, easy use`