Your top 5 (or so) apps you use and recommend

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    Like most people Firefox and Adium are a given.

I had QS, then desided to see how Spotlight worked (Start typing then Cmd-Enter to open first result). Needless to say I'm back QS and I missed you.

Purely for looks I like Uno. It unifies the look of all the apps to something similar to the "streamlined" look in iTunes and Aperture.

I have to write Java for my APCS class so I use jEdit. It's simple to use and I don't need all the extra features of other programs.

I use iCal from time to time. Mainly for my school calendar and it syncs up nicely with my iPod.

For bittorrent I mainly use the default client from bittorent. I used to use Azureus but I didn't need all those features so the default one works fine.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Great thread. Really helpful for us noobs. Unfortunately some have neglected to include a brief description and links. The descriptions are vital for all but the most obvious (eg. safari, mail etc).

thanks ya'll, keep those cards and letters comin....
  • Reply 43 of 52
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibuzz

Great thread. Really helpful for us noobs. Unfortunately some have neglected to include a brief description and links. The descriptions are vital for all but the most obvious (eg. safari, mail etc).

thanks ya'll, keep those cards and letters comin....

You can find all of this software, usually, at either MacUpdate or Versiontracker.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    I use?

General Day to Day stuff:

Mail.app

iCal

Addressbook

Safari - For personal surfing/RSS feeds

Adium

Work stuff

skedit a great HTML/CSS editor.

Transmit best FTP ever!

xscope great set of tools for measuring, guides etc.

Firefox with the web developer tool bar Can't live without this one.

subEthaEdit for collaboration.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Quickbooks Pro 2005 (OK, I use the PB for accounting - makes it a tax deduction.)

Photoshop Elements 3. Great for fixing up old pics scanned in - the healing tool is fantastic and the price sure beats the full PS.

iPasteboard *. Like iClip.

CheckOff * - a simple to do list

Currencies Converter *. Very good if you need something like this.

World Times *. Handy if you need it - like Currencies Converter.

Missing Sync & Splash Wallet (Photo & ID used).

Bookpedia * (also CDpedia & DVDpedia) LIke Delicious Library, but a simpler design. It also lists the full retail value, which is nice for insurance purchases.

http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Apps/ Not an app, but where I go to find some neat freeware or shareware. It's an ad free site with 14,000+ OS X apps. I periodically check the new additions (found Mousepose there last week). I've marked the above apps I've found there with a *.

Word & Excel. I use Pages when possible and am waiting for Numbers.

VPC 7.0/2000 Pro. The one set of apps that I had to have in order to switch to macs - I demo a small Win only app with it. VPC 7.02 seems to be having some problems with the USB so I moved back to 7.0. A pain, but a tax deduction.

Throw in iLife & iWork, Safari and Mail and that's the main apps for me.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I'll leave out iApps despite the fact I use iTunes, Mail and others a lot and just focus on 3rd party things.

PGP - Huge amounts of my stuff gets encrypted and the current version of PGP is very good.

Microsoft Office - It dominates for a good reason. There's nothing that competes with it yet where your work revolves around it, especially Excel.

MPEG Streamclip - Also available for Windows now. It requires a $20 MPEG-2 Playback component for DVD rip editing but I find it considerably more functional than Handbrake and it's fix time code breaks has been priceless for me.

Proteus - Development started to lag after the creator went to Apple for a job and these days the choice between it and Adium is more difficult but I still find I prefer it to Adium. Will look again when they hit Proteus 5 and Adium 1.0

World of Warcraft - For those times when I actually have some time to play. Looking forward to Civ IV and Fable though. Pirates and KotOR 2 would also be nice but they seem to be pipe dreams that'll never show up.

Edit: As a special mention I probably have to mention dictionary, both the built in one and the app. It is a sign of the times and how used to computers and lazy I now am that I utilise both of these far too much.

Edit 2: Ok Proteus finally bit the dust in favour of Adium.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Most used

Safari

Mail

AddressBook

iCal

Pages

Daylite

iTunes

iPhoto
  • Reply 48 of 52
    Applications I couldn't live without whilst doing my job as a web developer:

1) TextMate - In my opinion the best text editor on Mac OS X at this current time. I was a hardcore BBEdit user for about the last 6-7 years and still fall back to it when I need to do any site wide grep find and replaces.

2) OmniGraffle Pro - for mapping out site structures, creating wireframes and some simple UML drawings.

3) Safari - I use this as my primary browser testing web sites and have customised it with multiple web design oriented bookmarklets.

4) NetNewsWire Lite/del.icio.us - I use 'NetNewsWire Lite' to keep on top of what's going on in the world without devoting half a day every day to reading news sites and I use 'del.icio.us' to store interesting bookmarks so that I can access them at any time from any computer.

5) QuickSilver/Backpack/Backpack Widget/Growl - I use this combination of apps as if they are one to streamline my GTD workflow. I use Quicksilver to post notes, 'To-Do' items and 'Files' to my 'Backpack' account as well as using it as my app launcher. I use the 'Backpack Widget' to post 'Reminders' to my 'Backpack' account and to view my 'Backpack' 'To-Do' lists and 'Notes'. 'Growl' interfaces with the 'Backpack Widget' to inform me of 'Reminders'.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I just found this little plugin to add a cnew ontextual menu to Finder.

NuFile

• Reply 50 of 52
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    I use these apps most often.

InDesign

BBEdit

CSSedit

Merlin/iCal

Transmit

Cheers,
  • Reply 51 of 52
    At home on the mac

mail

citrix

iphoto

digital performer

pro tools

Work on the pc

Quick Books Enterprise Solutions

Scheduall

Filemaker

excel

citrix

Major props goes out to citrix. If you have a citrix server you can load the client app on any computer and access your work desktop. It is a little scary to see a windows desktop on your G5 though.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    These apps are the ones that have earned a permanent spot in my dock: Safari, Mail, iTunes, AdiumX, iPhoto, Toast 7, Dreamweaver, FontAgent Pro, Rapidweaver

Some others that I don't use as often but are really handy:

USB Overdrive - mouse/joystick drivers; much better than the driver provided with my Logitech mouse.

ClamXav - Free virus scanner

DiskWarrior - disk maintenance tool

Font Finagler - clear system font caches (and possible font problems)

OmniDiskSweeper - see what's eating up the space on your hard drive

Renamer4mac - great batch file-renaming utility

Handbrake - RIP DVD's for free

Lostify - edit iPod movies so they show up as TV Shows on your iPod