Briefly: iTunes 1B songs sold; iPods sales via iTMS; Mac mini

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
iTunes: 1 billion served

Apple's iTunes Music Store today surpassed the 1 billion songs mark, a major milestone for sales of digital music tracks on the Internet.

The iTunes Music Store sold its billionth song at just after 12:30 a.m., according to MacNN -- less than three years since Apple first introduced the store in April of 2003.

Earlier this month, the company launched a billion song promo, promising the lucky buyer of the 1 billionth song a 20-inch iMac, 10 60GB iPods, a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card as well as a full scholarship to a world-renowned music school.

Although Apple has not yet posted winner details, it celebrated with a note on its Web site: "To every iTunes Music Store customer, thanks a billion. 1 billion songs have been downloaded from the iTunes Music Store."

Apple selling iPods via iTunes Music Store

Meanwhile, a couple of tipsters have pointed out that Apple is using its ubiquitous iTunes Music Store to leverage sales of iPod digital music players.

It's now possible to purchase any one of the company's iPod models from within the iTunes application.

"Don't have an iPod? Get one here," reads a graphic on the main iTunes storefront. Instead of referring customers to Apple's online store, it allows them to complete iPod purchases without a Web browser or ever leaving the iTunes application.

Production of PowerPC Mac mini halted?

Something is definitely up with the Mac mini. Both sources and bloggers have noted that Apple is no longer accepting large orders of the current PowerPC-based Mac mini. The company is still offering individual sales, however. This would suggest that it has halted production of the model in favor of new models.

Sources recently said a new Intel-based Mac mini was very close to hitting the manufacturing lines and that Apple may be preparing to announce the machines soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Congratulations, Alex Ostrovsky, winner of the billionth downloaded song (Speed of Sound, by Coldplay)!

Now... about that mini... 8)
  • Reply 2 of 27
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Now... about that mini... 8)

No kidding! That is great news. Maybe they will get the transition over with sooner rather than later so Adobe can get on with it already.

I hope it has a duo in it and not a single processor.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    So what are the stocks reaction to new products? Do they normally go up, down, simmer steady?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    i hope i'm not alone in thinking how funny that "the speed of sound" was the billionth song downloaded.

a billion songs and a double entendre all in one!
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Fingers crossed that the new Mac mini is the media center device. If Apple comes through with such a device and has a subscription plan with all the major content distributors, I may kick Comcast to the curb.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

iTunes: 1 billion served

Apple's iTunes Music Store today surpassed the 1 billion songs mark, a major milestone for sales of digital music tracks on the Internet.

The iTunes Music Store sold its billionth song at just after 12:30 a.m., according to MacNN -- less than three years since Apple first introduced the store in April of 2003.

Earlier this month, the company launched a billion song promo, promising the lucky buyer of the 1 billionth song a 20-inch iMac, 10 60GB iPods, a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card as well as a full scholarship to a world-renowned music school.

Although Apple has not yet posted winner details, it celebrated with a note on its Web site: "To every iTunes Music Store customer, thanks a billion. 1 billion songs have been downloaded from the iTunes Music Store."

Meanwhile, a couple of tipsters have pointed out that Apple is using its ubiquitous iTunes Music Store to leverage sales of iPod digital music players.

It's now possible to purchase any one of the company's iPod models from within the iTunes application.

"Don't have an iPod? Get one here," reads a graphic on the main iTunes storefront. Instead of referring customers to Apple's online store, it allows them to complete iPod purchases without a Web browser or ever leaving the iTunes application.

Production of PowerPC Mac mini halted?

Something is definitely up with the Mac mini. Both sources and bloggers have noted that Apple is no longer accepting large orders of the current PowerPC-based Mac mini. The company is still offering individual sales, however. This would suggest that it has halted production of the model in favor of new models.

Sources recently said a new Intel-based Mac mini was very close to hitting the manufacturing lines and that Apple may be preparing to announce the machines soon.
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

...It began with MWSF 2006 and every 60 days (more or less) Apple is gonna make this kind of events, April's fool, then in May.. September is the other conference & between october & november the INTEL convertion will be over...

2006 is the year of APPLE !!!
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

They've been doing this for quite a while, at least since Christmas.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eatrains

They've been doing this for quite a while, at least since Christmas.

I'm sure they've been advertising iPods for quite some time, with a banner ad prominently on the home page. I'm a bit lost on this one, but it seems to be saying that you can now buy an iPod using the iTunes account, within iTunes. Before, I think it was that the banner simply linked to the Apple Store site, I remember in the past that it spawned a web page. I think maybe the Harry Potter SE might have been the first where you could buy within the iTunes app.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I'm sure they've been advertising iPods for quite some time, with a banner ad prominently on the home page. I'm a bit lost on this one, but it seems to be saying that you can now buy an iPod using the iTunes account, within iTunes. Before, I think it was that the banner simply linked to the Apple Store site, I remember in the past that it spawned a web page. I think maybe the Harry Potter SE might have been the first where you could buy within the iTunes app.

Appears to only be on the US ITMS. Not here is Canada...but what else is new.....
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Regarding the MacMini...

Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I hope it has a duo in it and not a single processor.

Nah... if it's the PVR, I hope it has the cheapest processor possible (Intel or not), and the BEST graphics card for the MPEG4/MPEG2 playback. I don't need to use a PVR as a computer... just for TV and music.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

no, the winner gets the scholarship named AFTER them
  • Reply 12 of 27
    My guess for the 28th party is that Apple will release a photoshop competitor to go with aperature. My reasoning: 1) adobe's failure to release photoshop in intel naive code anytime this year.(what a roadblock to the intel transition for professional photographers) 2) Photography's big trade show will be going on at the same time.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by boatracer

Appears to only be on the US ITMS. Not here is Canada...but what else is new.....

I think it's because the coin-slot in iTunes won't accept a Loonie or a Toonie.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mactoys

2) Photography's big trade show will be going on at the same time.

Which photography trade show would that be? I tried to find one, but I didn't see any big ones for late Feb 2006.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Which photography trade show would that be? I tried to find one, but I didn't see any big ones for late Feb 2006.

Photo Marketing Association International's PMA 2006 convention, which begins Sunday in Orlando, Fla.

Nikon and Canon have already pre annouced some new cameras. I am new to photography but I was told this is the convention were all the companies show the new cameras for the year.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

My guess for the 28th party is that Apple will release a photoshop competitor to go with aperature. My reasoning: 1) adobe's failure to release photoshop in intel naive code anytime this year.(what a roadblock to the intel transition for professional photographers) 2) Photography's big trade show will be going on at the same time.

You have much to learn Grasshopper.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Do you understant what a HEDGE is in the business world? it is something that you keep ready, but SECRET untill it is needed, so as not o piss off partners and major 3rd party platform devs.

They will ONLY release this if Adobe either doesnt do CS3 for Mac-intel, or SEVERLY handicaps it. Otherwise it will remain "top secret"
  • Reply 18 of 27
    WOOOOOOT!! Core Solo Mac Mini ..... YEAHH.... and Core Duo Mac Mini for all you PVR/DVR obsessed fools.....
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Congratulations, Alex Ostrovsky, winner of the billionth downloaded song (Speed of Sound, by Coldplay)!

Well it's nice to see an underground band like Coldplay benefit from all this publicity

I'm sure it wasn't really the billionth song sold though but simply an estimate, kind of like Mikcey D's saying 55 billion served. Nobody can count that many beans perfectly.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Do you understant what a HEDGE is in the business world? it is something that you keep ready, but SECRET untill it is needed, so as not o piss off partners and major 3rd party platform devs.

They will ONLY release this if Adobe either doesnt do CS3 for Mac-intel, or SEVERLY handicaps it. Otherwise it will remain "top secret"

My point is that it is time to play the Hedge. Apple has had no problem pissing off adobe in the past... Final Cut Pro...Aperture. What is Apple worried about? That adobe wont release PFDs for intel? Photoshop is adobe's last high card in their hand.

My guess is self centered. I want a Macbookpro but I am not going to buy one anytime soon. Why? because the main app I will use the new horsepower for is Photoshop. And Photoshop CS2 is a dog on an intel mac (runs twice as fast on a G5). So six months from now Apple have all their supply problem with the intel chips fix. G5 tower will be replace by the chips coming out in Sept. Will demand be there? Adobe is still six months away from CS3. I maybe alone in this but Photoshop is the major roadblock in buying a new Mac.