Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Ink's pretty crap, isn't it?

THAT thread was hilarious!!!
  • Reply 42 of 54
    Im just not seeing the point in this. A oversized PDA with some more power? Rather have the PDA
  • Reply 43 of 54
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I'm mighty interested in this kind of gadget. Right now I have a Palm, an original Powerbook, and a desktop. My powerbook is getting a little long in the tooth right now, and I figure in a couple of years I'll be in the market for a new portable.

What's happened, though, is that because my work situation has changed (i.e. I got a real job and am not spending 8 hours a day writing in my local coffee shop), my portable computing needs have changed. I find myself using my laptop 75% or more of the time simply for web surfing, chatting, and answering email. I do some light web work on it in Dreamweaver, but the rest of my usage is writing.

As I look at these gadgets, I'm struck by how this is what I really wanted in my Newton 2100: color, modern features, and software in mostly the same package. I thought the Newton's size made it a terrible PDA; but as a laptop-alternative, it was really compelling?except I couldn't use it to write because it didn't run a real version of any of the word processing programs I use.

This, however, looks like it'll fit the bill. Hopefully there's a real market for this and it'll be around?and cheaper...$1200?!? I'd go $800?when I'm ready for a new portable.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Isn't e oqo a million times better than this? (http://www.oqo.com)

It doesn't seem $1000 better, which is how much more it costs...does that even include VAT?
  • Reply 45 of 54
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Midwinter--

So I'm curious about this.

Could you go into a little more detail about what functions a device like this provides that are not provided by a small laptop?

Handwriting recognition I get, but it seems to me that unless you really need it (as in use it a lot standing up) a keyboard is just a lot easier and faster way to input text.

Maybe it's just the feel of actually "writing"?
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Midwinter--

So I'm curious about this.

Could you go into a little more detail about what functions a device like this provides that are not provided by a small laptop?

Handwriting recognition I get, but it seems to me that unless you really need it (as in use it a lot standing up) a keyboard is just a lot easier and faster way to input text.

Maybe it's just the feel of actually "writing"?

Actually, it's about form factor, not features. I don't carry my laptop with me because it weighs 5 pounds without the power brick and I have limited space in my bag. But something less than 2 lbs? I likely wouldn't hesitate.

I don't do a tremendous amount of entering text into my laptop as is, since these days I tend to write in my office. Like I said, I usually spend a large amount of my laptop time viewing information. So a separate/bluetooth keyboard is no big deal?and could even be a plus.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by ROCjetblue320

Im just not seeing the point in this. A oversized PDA with some more power? Rather have the PDA

It seems like this is always the problem with devices like this.

The appeal of actual PDAs is largely in their shirt-pocket form factor. You can literally have them on you at all times.

But, of course, the shortcomings of a PDA are a tiny screen, limited input options and relatively crude apps.

So-- bigger screen, handwriting recognition, full on OS and keyboard option.

Except, once you've lost the shirt-pocket thing, what is the next biggest "obvious" size? IMO, there is no advantage of a pretty thick thing with a 7" screen and a large bezel over a small laptop, and plenty of disadvantages.

The only way I can imagine where you might get a clear win with this kind of thing is if it cost around $600, had 12 hours of battery life and weighed under a pound.

But, just like size, once you go past PDA functionality you might as well do a full on OS, meaning, well, basically laptop hardware with laptop prices.

If you like a 10.4"x9"x5.5" 2lb, low powered thing for mobile computing, why wouldn't you get a 11.2"x9.1"x1.35" 12" iBook? About the same footprint, 4" thinner, $200 cheaper for a much bigger, higher resolution screen, better graphics, built in airport and bluetooth, and an internal DVD drive (which the Samsung lacks).

Weirdly, the iBook even yields up better battery life-- the "hands on" report here reports 1.7 hours when playing back a DVD from an external drive.

Sorry, just don't get it.

Edit, in re Midwinter's post above-- yeah, weight is the one thing. The Samsung looks to weigh about 2 lbs less than the iBook. It is, however, definitely not smaller.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

My feeling is that taking notes with a stylus is a high tech way of carving signs in stone.

As in, not very efficient or user friendly. I tried it twice, and abandoned it twice.

What, a stylus or carving signs in stone?

Oddly enough, this was mentioned on local news here in Boston last night. When the announcer was talking about one of the features she accidentally said "It can also malfunction as...", with which I thought to myself, "yes, yes it can, for it runs windows." One of those wonderful moments...
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:

If you like a 10.4"x9"x5.5" 2lb, low powered thing for mobile computing, why wouldn't you get a 11.2"x9.1"x1.35" 12" iBook? About the same footprint, 4" thinner

Where are you seeing 5.5" thick?
  • Reply 50 of 54
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Goes to show that with marketing you can sell mediocrity. And it will... just watch.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:

Where are you seeing 5.5" thick?

From the Macworld article linked to above:

Quote:

In terms of specifications, the Q1 is based on an Intel Corp. Celeron M processor running at 900MHz. It has 512MB of memory and a 40GB hard-disk drive. There is a wired and wireless LAN adapter, Bluetooth and a Compact Flash card slot that could be used for other types of modem. It measures 22.7 centimeters by 13.9 cm by 26.5 cm (8.94 x 5.47 x 10.43 inches) and weighs 779 grams (1.72 pounds).

I would have taken the 5.47" dimension as a typo but for the matching cm values given.

Still, now that I think about it, that does seem kinda insane. More like a shoebox than a tablet, and from the pictures I've seen it must just be wrong. Maybe 2.5", tops.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

I would have taken the 5.47" dimension as a typo but for the matching cm values given.

It's possible that they just manually converted a typo to inches without thinking.

--B
  • Reply 53 of 54
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

It doesn't seem $1000 better, which is how much more it costs...does that even include VAT?

Well, my guess is that will change pretty quick.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:

Still, now that I think about it, that does seem kinda insane. More like a shoebox than a tablet, and from the pictures I've seen it must just be wrong. Maybe 2.5", tops.

The thing looks to be about 1.5 inches to me.